Neurology Community
Need Assistance

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Need Assistance

I am a nineteen year old going on twenty, who has been suffering from Severe Headaches 24/7, dizziness, supposed virtigo, and nausea. I have been dealing with the headaches since i was eighteen years old, the dizziness, and nausea started maybe six months ago. I have had 3 MRI's since December 2007, i have a pineal region cyst that is 7mm but my doctors keep telling me and my family that the cyst is not the cause of these symtoms (symptoms). I have gone in and out of hte doctors far too many times to count over the two years, and now we're being told to see another neurologist in order to discuss dietary and herbal treatments, i've been through that twice with two different doctors and apparently it's a circle that i'm walking.

I just want to find an answer and perhaps a doctor that knows what he's dealing with and talking about, because i feel helpless and useless because i live with these headaches that make me completely useless and exhausted. I have had to deal with these headaches my last year in high school, and now that i'm still working i deal with them there. I don't know who can help me or how much longer i can deal with no answers from the doctors. It's ridiculous because i'm not the only one suffering, it's tearing my family apart and my friends. I've pretty much lost all aspects of my life, i don't spend nearly as much time with friends and going out like a normal kid my age would. I go to work monday through friday and then go to sleep and on the weekends i do as much as i can around the hosue and then i'm exhausted. I've done research, and have found those similar to me and my circumstance but why isn't there an answer. I don't sleep much, i will go two to three days with out sleeping, and then i'll be so tired i'll sleep. Sleeping medications such as ametriptalyne that the doctor has prescribed and Restoril and even those don't help, i feel like i'm hitting constant road blocks. I'm just looking for some answers, that's all i need now.

This discussion is related to pineal cyst and headaches.
This will probably make you laugh, but have you tried a chiropractor? I had hideous, puking, nasty migrains for most of my life. Tried every medicine known to mankind, had so many MRI's and CAT scans, I should own stock in the hospital, nothing worked. Then, when I was 56, I hurt my back. My husband goes to a chiropractor for his back, so I made an appointment and had my back 'adjusted.' It was about a week later that I noticed I had not had a headache. To make a long story short, if I have an adjustment every 6 weeks or so...no headaches. If I forget, I am always reminded to make an appointment when I wake up with that horrible, light-sensitive, squinty-eyed pain. It is worth a try, huh?
I understand your pain completely. I'm 24 years old and I've suffered from migraines and chronic headaches since I was 15. I finally asked my PCP to preform an MRI.

A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with a pineal region cyst/pineal cytoma. After going though a few neurologists, I began to see a neurosurgeon who suggested to keep a food/medical diary of the headaches and migraines to determine what the trigger was. He couldn't find any correlation, so he suggested routine MRIs and CT Scans to keep a close eye on it to see if it enlarged. The cause of my migraines was that the cyst was closing off a small canal that cerebrospinal fluid flows through, therefore it was building up in my brain rather than flowing down my spine.

After about 8 months of routine MRIs and no change in the severity/consistency of my headaches, he decided that surgery was the right route to go.

In April 2008 I went under the knife and had a stereotactic biopsy. They drilled a small hole in my head, drained the cyst and removed part of the cyst wall. Now, almost 3 months after surgery, I'm only getting migraines 3-4 times a month, rather than every other day and my quality of life has vastly improved.

If you have any questions, or need someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to contact me