Neurology Community
Need some answers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Need some answers

My mother was diagnosed with have Olivio ponto cerebellar degeneration, When she was in her 40's and she passed last year in March of 2008.  Now I believe that she got this sporadicly because no one in our family had this except my grandfather did  have similar symptoms but I think he was diagnosed with having Parkinson's. My question is because it may have been sporadic does that mean it could be hereditary and I myself can get it later in life? is there a test that can be done to see if I carry this disease?  Thanks for the help.