Neurology Community
Nerve Biopsy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nerve Biopsy

I'm 15 and have pretty much ever test that could be done to discover what might be cuaseing my peripheral neuropathy. (LPs, MRIs, Ultrasounds, nerve conduction studies, gastric studies and blood work for cancer, common genetic disoreders and basically everythin else.) Every test has come back normal, some of my blood has been sent to the US (i live in BC, canada) for gentic testing, and I had a nerve biopsy done. The biopsy has yet to come back, and I am very scared of what will happen if it comes back normal. I asked the neurology team when I was in the hospital (hospitalized because of sever nausea and couldn't hold down food) and they just said "we will cross that bridge when we get there." What the heck does that mean??? Does that mean they are going to say it is all in my head, or i'm just making it up for attention? I'm not!!! This whole thing has ruined my life, and my chances of cycling in BC summer games. I do believe that my nausea could be from stress, i dunno, but what I do know is that my nerve pain is real (real painful) and that my fingers and feet are numb. What will happen if the nerve biopsy is normal, it is the last test to be done. I am so scared please help me. Thanks
Hello.

I understand your position. You need to follow the process of diagnosis step by step. The nerve biopsy may or may not come normal. But this is a process and it has to go stepwise.

And Nerve biopsy is definitely not the last resort. Please do not think of consequences before you get the results. This is what the doctors mean by "we will cross..."

Regards
thanks, its just it is hard when doctors do not tell you what they are testing for, especially when your a kid.
Hello.

Any progress regarding your investigations ? I have not heard from you for a long time. It is true that quite a few doctors do not actually think it is important to tell their patients what they are thinking. I guess you can not help it. Some times you just need to go with the flow.

Regards
Hi there Lola
I am very interested in what your results were as i am having exactly same going on at the moment.
Please would you let me know what happened and what the result was

Thanx
Janine