Neurology Community
Nerve Damage After a Fall?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nerve Damage After a Fall?

About a month ago I fell on the subway and smashed my collarbone into the pole, fracturing my left clavicle...while the break is healing well and I am getting more use of my arm, I get an intense burning pain in the top front of my left shoulder...from the break to the shoulder...e.g. this can happen when I try to wash dishes...holding the dish in my left hand (resting on the sink) and washing with the right...any bit of pressure on the dish brings its on...but it can also happen if I turn my head too quickly...I am wondering if this is nerve damage and if it is, will it heal on its own or do I need to see someone?  I am seeing an orthopedic specialist in 2 weeks to follow up on the break but wonder if I should see someone sooner?  I am a 55 year old female with diabetes and high blood pressure.  Thank you for your time.
Avatar n tn
While it can be a sign of nerve damage, the history you presented with suggests that the pain is more likely due to an, as of yet, incompletely healed fractured clavicle.  Depending on the severity of the fracture, complete return of function and range of motion may not be achieved in just a month, even with physical therapy.  I would advise you to refrain from further applying pressure or using that shoulder until you see the orthopedic surgeon.