Neurology Community
Nerve Damage for taste and smell

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nerve Damage for taste and smell

I was in a bad car accident in January 2010, had 4 fractures in the left part of my skull (big area behind ear), and have not tasted or smelled anything since then.  I know its obvious that theres nerve damage, but I was wondering if when I recieved my MRI and Catscan, if it would show if nerves had been severed?  I cannot afford for my follow ups or a new doctors appt., to find this out from the doctor who did these procedures.  I am under the impression that if there were severed nerves, that they are permanently damaged.....is this correct?  And approximately how long could it take for this to heal if ever?  Any input would help me here, thank you. --Krystal Wilder
Sorry to hear about your accident.  I lost my taste and smell in an accident.   I taste and smell everything different and not the real one and many times annoying and foul.
I never knew before the accident smell plays a major role in taste.  As for as treatment/cure there is nothing doctors can do.  My doctors don't even want to talk about that so you really don't have to see a doctor such for that.
Mostly they say you may get it back in 6 months to 1 year.  For me it is almost 1 year and nothing much happened.  Still the same.  Olfactory nerves may regenerate if is damaged.  Loss may also due to the damage in the brain.  Again everyone is different and is a wait and see approach.  You still have hope.
At some point I may go see this doctor.

http://xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx

good luck.
I am no expert but I have an idea from my experience.  With your bad accident I'm sure you had plenty medications.  I was given what was to be a long term med but I was given it alone and totally lost my taste and hunger.
I had a cold once with much congestion that took away my smell - I've had falls from my epilepsy that have broken areas around my eyes, nose and skull.  My sense of taste and smell has returned as good as ever.