Nerve Damage from Blood Testing
I got blood taken for a standard blood test a week ago at the shabby lab (had to go to it for insurance and i'm in a shabby city).  The phlebotonist or however it's spelt was terrible.  I have gotten my blood taken numerous times before this and it was near painless.  This time, it was like my hand was attached to a car battery.  The nerves and muscles in my arm and hand were uncontrollably twitching, contracting, and hurting very badly.  I asked the woman to stop and she just said "almost done" as if I was just freaking out.  I have heard of people having soreness or bruising from blood tests, but this is not the case.  I have no soreness or bruising.  The first 2 days after the test my arm would randomly get there "shocks" when I did stuff.  Now, a week later, I cannot even pick up a glass of water without my arm feeling like i am dipping it in a tub of water and electricity.  It gets worse everyday.  I have an appt for my blood test results later this week and am going to ask my doctor what he thinks, but I was hoping to get some advice from someone a little more specialized.  I am going to call the lab and complain...but what else can I do, and will this go away?  If so, how long, being each day its increasingly worse?
Hello Dear,
Usually this kind of pain is caused by an incompetent taking an arterial blood gas sample. Healing may take weeks, perhaps months. You might try accupuncture ,TENS device. A TENS device relies upon the fact that the brain usually accepts one pain signal at a time. The TENS generates a mild electrical current somewhere else and the brain dismisses the signal from your actually damaged nerve. Sometimes the TENS works. Sometimes it doesn't.You should also consult a neurologist.
Best
Thanks for the reply. I made an appt with my DO for Monday.  I was kind of hoping it would be sooner, but I guess my arm will either get worse or better in the time between now and then.  I was wondering...it's hard for me to do things with that arm just because the electric shock is kind of weird feeling and causes discomfort...but...would it be bad to engage in physical activity with the arm?  ie tennis, weightlifting?  Or could i cause further damage?
bump