Neurology Expert Forum
Nerve compression
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Nerve compression

Posted By Charleen on April 22, 1999 at 09:18:26
I posted back around the beginning of the month regarding continued symptoms following 3 spinal operations.  Back in Sept. of 98 I had a posterior L4/L5 fusion with a bone graft..no other instrumentation was used.
Around the 3rd month of my recovery and while I was still in my brace (tlso) I started having the all too familiar nerve pain in my legs and pain in my lower back.  Since that time, I have not been able to continue on my walking regimen and my life has become rather slowed.  I have quit my job, stopped driving and have filed for disability with SS.
I have had an ENG that clearly demonstrated L5 and possibly S1 nerve compression and demylination at the L5 location.  Yesterday I saw another orthospinal surgeon who did flexion and extension x-rays.  He said my fusion is solid, however he thinks I have nerve irritation.  I asked how he could substantiate that with just x-rays.  A MRI has been ordered.  However, this doctor yesterday felt my leg and back weakness are the culprits of my nerve pain.  I am not fully buying that.  I just don't see how just weakness could cause all my nerve pain.  I walk with a limp which had fully gone away until 3 months postop...I have a hard time standing up straight and my lordosis is so exagerated now it is not funny..again that was gone until 3 months postop.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you...charleen

Follow Ups:

Re: Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPs 5/08/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression p.s. I meant EMG....and I also have trouble with my bowels 4/22/1999
(12)

Nerve compression Judy 4/22/1999
(11)

Re: Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/08/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression Suellen 4/24/1999
(1)

Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/08/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression Excrutiating Pain in feet-ACM/SM-Nerve Damage?Disc? Nancee 4/22/1999
(7)

Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/08/1999
(0)

Nerve compression Barbara 4/22/1999
(5)

Re: Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/08/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression Mary 4/25/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression to Barbara and Nancee 4/23/1999
(2)

Nerve compression CCF MD mdf 4/25/1999
(1)

Re: Nerve compression Charleen///thank you to the M.D. yes I did see a neurologist 4/28/1999
(0)