Neurology Expert Forum
Nerve compression
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Nerve compression

Posted By Charleen on April 22, 1999 at 09:18:26
I posted back around the beginning of the month regarding continued symptoms following 3 spinal operations.  Back in Sept. of 98 I had a posterior L4/L5 fusion with a bone graft..no other instrumentation was used.
Around the 3rd month of my recovery and while I was still in my brace (tlso) I started having the all too familiar nerve pain in my legs and pain in my lower back.  Since that time, I have not been able to continue on my walking regimen and my life has become rather slowed.  I have quit my job, stopped driving and have filed for disability with SS.
I have had an ENG that clearly demonstrated L5 and possibly S1 nerve compression and demylination at the L5 location.  Yesterday I saw another orthospinal surgeon who did flexion and extension x-rays.  He said my fusion is solid, however he thinks I have nerve irritation.  I asked how he could substantiate that with just x-rays.  A MRI has been ordered.  However, this doctor yesterday felt my leg and back weakness are the culprits of my nerve pain.  I am not fully buying that.  I just don't see how just weakness could cause all my nerve pain.  I walk with a limp which had fully gone away until 3 months postop...I have a hard time standing up straight and my lordosis is so exagerated now it is not funny..again that was gone until 3 months postop.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you...charleen

Follow Ups:

Re: Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPs 5/08/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression p.s. I meant EMG....and I also have trouble with my bowels 4/22/1999
(12)

Nerve compression Judy 4/22/1999
(11)

Re: Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/08/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression Suellen 4/24/1999
(1)

Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/08/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression Excrutiating Pain in feet-ACM/SM-Nerve Damage?Disc? Nancee 4/22/1999
(7)

Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/08/1999
(0)

Nerve compression Barbara 4/22/1999
(5)

Re: Nerve compression CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS 5/08/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression Mary 4/25/1999
(0)

Re: Nerve compression to Barbara and Nancee 4/23/1999
(2)

Nerve compression CCF MD mdf 4/25/1999
(1)

Re: Nerve compression Charleen///thank you to the M.D. yes I did see a neurologist 4/28/1999
(0)