Neurology Expert Forum
Nerve damage/Glossopharyngeal neuralgia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dear Doctors:  I am a 35yr old white male in good health.  I had just gotten over a case of the flu, during which I had to have an emergency root canal. While I still had the flu I went to my GP complaning of ear, throat and lower jaw pain on my left side.  I was given Biaxin XL 500mg for what appeared to be a sinus infection.  Four days later I had the root canal on #18 (Left back molar lower).  When given approx. 12 lidocane injections I was pain free for the first time in approx 12 days.  Now following the root canal the pain is back in my ear, tongue and the soft tissue below my tongue.  I'm concerned that permanent damage to my Glossopharyngeal nerve has been done either from the flu or the root canal but want to rule out Glossopharyngel Neuralgia.  The pain has been constant for approx. 18 days.  I have tried:  Ibuprofen, tylenol, Vicatin 5ml, and Propoxy NAP 100 w/apap with no noticable relief from pain.  Thank you for your attention to this in advance.  Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
If you truly have glossopharyngeal neuralgia, the medications patients traditionally find most helpful are tegretol, trileptal, and dilantin. These are all antiseizure medications that have been found to relieve nerve pain in the face. If all of these fail,you may consider getting a neurosurgery consult as there has been some success with microvascular decompression, a procedure that helps with blood vessels that may be pushing up against the nerve.

Consider seeing a neurologist. This is a relatively uncommon disease, and the correct diagnosis based on a formal neurological exam and perhaps an MRI of the brain would be important so that the appropriate treatment is started. Good luck.
I was in a car wreck, four year`s ago.I had a level 3 fusion botox injection`s, tp inection`s 144. The Dr. said i have occipital neuralgia on both side`s. The next step is to have a rhyzotomy, can you tell me what the succesful rate for this procedure is.                                                                                    sylkenrose
DearDoctors: Reference Question Posted By: Stoney on Sunday, February 24,2002. Answered Posted By: CCF-Neuro-M.D.JT on Sunday, February 24 2002. I have a similar case as I will give information on as follows: Early January Slumped at table slumped forward and felt like table was turning over. 1-14-02 frequent severe headache several diffent positions of head. 1-30-02 had tooth broken during holiday. result sensitive of cold and severe pain. Appointment 1-31-02 Primary Dr. headache,earaches,sore throat,and cough. Prescribed Clycobensaphine (muscle relaxant) 10 mg. 2-2-02 lost balance in bathroom from dizziness and hurt ribs & back, outer ear had started to swell,increased ear, mouth, & throat pain. 2-3-02 ER Dr. extreme headache, left outer ear almost double from swelling,throat still sore, & mouth pain. 2-5-02 ENT Dr. hearing test prescribed Flycinolone Ointment to treat left outer and inner ear. Thought was dental problem. 2-8-02 ENT had CT Scan of sinuses. 2-8-02 Back to Dentist on ENT recommendation of dental problem dentist found no problem from Xrays. 2-9-02 Woke up with left eye drooped and not closing, by afternoon mouth drooped (Left side of face) voice became raspy, light headed, dizzy, by 11:00 P.M. tongue twisted to left side of mouth. Went to ER CT of head, Blood tests, CT scan showed no sign of stroke, Blood test showed low sodium, diagnoised Bell's Palsy, Purealube for left eye. ER doctor suggested contact with either ENT or Primary Dr. Primary doctor was not availble until 2-20-02 so went to ENT He was upset that were there and made imediate contact with Primary doctor so we went to his office immediately. 2-11-02 Primary doctor refill Ocydocone for headaches and pain prescribed Predisone for Bell's Palsy. 2-14-02 dizzy and fell and continued weakness. 2-25-02 Primary Dr. followup give RinocortAqua Nasal Spray for for Postnasal Drip, assured recovery from Bell's Palsy was slow. 2-22-02 BP 168/80, Request followup blood test for low sodium which was previously low, Schedule swallow test for throat and swallowing problems.3-23-02 scheduled tests with my regular cardiologist for assurance of not having a stroke. I am now having voice thearopy, using a series of flavored treated swabs that are used in the throat. The right side responds to the swab and the left side does not. I am 74 years old have had heart bypass (5), Radical Prostrate surgury for cancer, several ear surgury's including a hammer and anvil transplant to a radical mastoid operation in 1955, Galblader and hietial hernia , neck vertibrae surgry, hernia opertion following cancer surgury. Conclusion I have the most faith in our medical system. I also have always used thearopy and health classes along with my personal faith. My best wishes to all who have read this and may have a helping hand for me to find a solution. God Bless
in 1996 i had an upper jaw expansion done to widen my mouth to make room for a dental implant. where i was stitched on the i inside of my upper lip, at the top of my gums i have severe nerve damage on my left side from the area above my left from tooth to about 3 or 4 teeth back.

6 years later, if anything touches in that area (a finger, toothbrush, gauze...) it's enough pain to make me pass out. its stabbing, searing, and burning all at the same time.

doctors have been no help in explaining my condition to me at all.

if anyone out there has lived through this, please, please contact me at ***@****

i doubt i'll ever be back to this page, but i'd love to hear about your experience.
I've been being treated for several years for allergies and sinus infections that all seem to be focused on my right side.  About a year ago I started with ringing in my ear, had a top back right tooth become infected requiring and root canal of which I finally had removed.  Over the past 8 months my symptoms have increased to the point that it's affecting my quality of life.
These are my symptoms
Ringing in the ear
Constant Fullness feeling in the ear
Frequent ear pain(when I go to my MD, NO infection or inflammation is found)
Frequent sore throats ONLY on the right side
Numbness feeling in my upper right gum area and sometimes right side of tongue
Feeling of swelling in throat, neck area
Pain in right eye, all feeling of numbness, swelling and pain will increase when I put my contacts in.  I feel my eyes are dry as my contacts are dry when I remove them.  I've tried a lower water content contact with NO relief.
Vision changes
Occasionally pain will shoot down right arm....more of a discomfort than a pain almost like a pulled nerve
Occasional stiff neck.

This what I've had done
Eye doctor, full eye exam, can see no nerve damage
Dentist-root canal to extraction
Oral surgeon-removed upper right impacted wisdom tooth, preformed Arthroscopy on the right side jaw with cortisone
Neurologist-did full exam with MRI to rule out brain tumor.  MRI ONLY showed chronic infection and inflammation on the "left" side

When I recently had my impacted wisdom tooth pulled I swelled up VERY badly and after 2 days was put on an antibiotic.  I was unable to eat or open my mouth for 5 days due to swelling.  The oral surgeon said that my cells filled with air.  In the 5 days that I wasn't able to open my mouth almost ALL of my symptoms disappeared.  Right now I'm being treated for TMJ, but alot of my symptoms do not fit the profile of TMJ so I feel something else is going on.

I'm DESPERATE for some help.  I research as much as possible and as you can see I've been to almost every doctor.  Up until about 2 years ago when my symptoms started at get worse, I was a very active healthy women(now 40)  I need to function 100% ALL the time.
I've been being treated for several years for allergies and sinus infections that all seem to be focused on my right side.  About a year ago I started with ringing in my ear, had a top back right tooth become infected requiring and root canal of which I finally had removed.  Over the past 8 months my symptoms have increased to the point that it's affecting my quality of life. These are my symptoms:ringing in the ear, constant fullness feeling in the ear, frequent ear pain(when I go to my MD, NO infection or inflammation is found), Frequent sore throats ONLY on the right side, numbness feeling in my upper right gum area and sometimes right side of tongue, feeling of swelling in throat, neck area, pain in right eye, all feeling of numbness, swelling and pain will increase when I put my contacts in.  I feel my eyes are dry as my contacts are dry when I remove them.  I've tried a lower water content contact with NO relief,
vision changes, occasionally pain will shoot down right arm, occasional stiff neck.

This what I've had done
Dentist-root canal to extraction

vision changes, occasionally pain will shoot down right arm, occasional stiff neck. This what I've had done
Dentist-root canal to extraction
Dentist-root canal to extraction
About a year ago I started with ringing in my ear, had a top back right tooth become infected requiring and root canal of which I finally had removed.  Over the past 8 months my symptoms have increased to the point that it's affecting my quality of life. These are my symptoms:ringing in the ear, constant fullness feeling in the ear, frequent ear pain(when I go to my MD, NO infection or inflammation is found), Frequent sore throats ONLY on the right side, numbness feeling in my upper right gum area and sometimes right side of tongue, feeling of swelling in throat, neck area, pain in right eye, all feeling of numbness, swelling and pain will increase when I put my contacts in.  I feel my eyes are dry as my contacts are dry when I remove them.  I've tried a lower water content contact with NO relief,
Dentist-root canal to extraction
About a year ago I started with ringing in my ear, had a top back right tooth become infected requiring and root canal of which I finally had removed.  Over the past 8 months my symptoms have increased to the point that it's affecting my quality of life. These are my symptoms:ringing in the ear, constant fullness feeling in the ear, frequent ear pain, frequent sore throats ONLY right side, numbness feeling in my upper right gum area and sometimes right side of tongue, feeling of swelling in throat, neck area, pain in right eye, ALL feeling of numbness, swelling and pain will increase when I put my contacts in,
Dentist-root canal to extraction
Right now I'm being treated for TMJ, but alot of my symptoms do not fit the profile of TMJ so I feel something else is going on.
A related discussion, my aunt linda has not been outside in over 20yrs was started.