Nerve damage after cervical fusion
I am ninety days out from a cervical fusion (C4/5 & C 5/6)  The purpose of the fusion was to prevent the mild, right upper arm weakness I had begun to experience from worsening.  Unfortunately, the surgery resulted in much more damage, with serious weakness of  those muscles ennervated by the C5 nerve (deltoid, supraspanatus, infraspanatus, etc.).  After 3 months of physical therapy I have no improvement at all, and two of the five muscles involved are actually worse.  I have also developed subluxation (partial dislocation) of my shoulder, and though I was not in pain prior to the surgery, there is constant pain now.   My physical therapist tells me it is still possible that the nerve will repair itself, but I'm wondering if there is anything else that can be done.  My surgeon is difficult to communicate with and he has no suggestions to offer.  How long can I realistically keep hoping for improvement?  Should I be talking to another doctor?
I had a laminectomies of c5-6-7, all of pain was on left side, while they were rolling me out into recover my right side arm, shoulder, I was crying, holloring and just about everything else, stayed in hospital for a couple of days, I was also told the nerve would heal itself, my surgery 02, I have been to vanderbilt hospital, and here I am now 6 years later, doc is telling me I have twoo options, neurontin, keppra or spinal cord stimular,because I now have chronic c7 radiculopathy.
Please go for second and third opinions if need be, dont let this wait as I did.
Good Luck