Neurology Expert Forum
Nerve damage after hysterectomy...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nerve damage after hysterectomy...

I had a total hyst last November and have had extreme pain since then. I woke up from the surgery in excruciating pain. They ended up putting me on morphine pump. The pain is lower pelvic, all the way across. It is worse when I walk a lot, stand or after sex. I have had 2 hypogastric plexus nerve injections that have not helped. I am on vicodin BID and take lyrica when I can, but it makes me so groggy that it's hard to keep on it. I am a RN, but unable to work shifts due to the pain. I'm not sure what my options are. The pain specialist I'm seeing isnt very informative on my options...just say "I'm sure you will be fine in a few months..." So frustrating!! I am wondering what my options are for this and also if my gallbladder could be affected. I have been having intermittent pain that radiates into my right shoulder. It sometimes causes soreness in the upper GI area under my ribs. Usually doesn't last that long, just enough to cause me concern.  Any help you have would be great! Thanks so much! (Oh, I had hyst due to endo since I was 19. I am now 30. I have 2 children. I've had an appendectomy.) I am also very tiny. I have heard that small people are more prone to nerve damage in hyst. I'm 5'8 and 116 pounds. I really appreciate any help on this!!

Amber
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

You may be developing chronic pelvic pain syndrome. This is typically a noncyclic pain that lasts greater than 6 months. There can be many causes, but given your recent surgery, pelvic adhesions will need to be considered. Additionally, you may have myofascial pain from the muscles of the pelvic floor. Treatment is difficult without a multi-modality approach. However, pain medications, antiepileptics, and hormonal replacements have been used. If adhesions are found, laparoscopy should be considered. If the pain persists, nerve ablation may need to be considered. Recently, botulinum toxin injection has been used with some success.  

I suggest you continue following up with a specialist in chronic pain. You should also discuss your symptoms with the ob/gyn who performed the surgery.  

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.