Neurology Community
Nerve damage in forearm after blood test

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

5 weeks ago I had a blood sample taken. When the nurse inserted the needle the pain I felt down my arm was like an electric shock and I screamed at her to remove the needle, which she didn't do without probing for a vein first!

Since then I have had extreme pain when I straighten my arm, and it constantly feels like when you hit your funny bone except its all down my arm. I have tingling and twitching nerves in my thumb, fore finger and middle finger and randomly the top of my ring finger! I have been told I just have to wait and see if it heals or if its permanent but the pain is unbearable at times and when I can just about cope with it, its extremely uncomfortable. I cannot drive at the moment and I am a teacher so carrying out my job is becoming increasingly difficult. At A&E the doctor said I had median nerve neuropathy and my GP has prescribed amitriptyline, but its not doing much.

Is this likely to heal? What can I do to make it any better or bearable?
It will probably heal. These days they certify phlebotomists who send in candy wrappers. I just had all veins in both arms destroyed by these creatures during a recent hospital stay. And I am still in pain. Try a little corticosteroidal skin cream rubbed on. Usually this kind of pain is caused by an incompetent taking an arterial blood gas sample from the wrist. You usually don't need this, but in teaching hospitals the turtles have to be certified in doing so many before they become adult turtles so they scam you and tell you "it's for your own good". Again, these injuries generally heal, but it will take weeks, perhaps months. You might try accupuncture or what is called a TENS device. A TENS device relies upon the fact that the brain usally accepts one pain signal at a time. The TENS generates a mild electrical current somewhere else and the brain dismisses the signal from your (actually damaged) nerve. Sometimes the TENS works. Sometimes it doesn't.
I also have the same problem. Few days ago I went to Blood Drive and donated my blood. Over 20 yrs I never had problem at all, but this time is so painful. The phlebotomist who looked so in-experienced, put the needle in my left arm (as usual, I always use the left arm for blood donation) and I feel the sharp pain run from my bicep through the finger. I told her to take it off, but she said it was OK--"..just cool down, you will be alright"  I stayed still with all this pain starting hurt my forearm then numbed. It was about 15 minutes and I was so in pain throught the course. When she took the needle off , the blood from my vein was running big time like I had a big injury. She applied many gauze to stop the bad bleeding. The pain wasn't that sharp then but my forearm was so numbed.
I didn't do any exercise since then.I have body ache (Flu like symptom 5 hours after blood donating and lasted about 20 hours) Now my left arm has been swollen, numb with bruise in the needle pinning area. I hardly move my left arm, my fingers have been tingling, and a little uncomfortable pain in bicep area.
It has been over 3 days now and it doesn't seem it is gonna to go away anytime soon.
When we donate blood, anything can we do to prevent this happen?  I don't want anyone to go through this like I had. It is very very bad experience.
I know how you feel

2 months ago i gave blood at a blood drive ( RED CROSS) at my employer. When the girl stuck my arm I had intense pain but thought nothing of it. The next few days I had nasty brusing like never. I developed an infection and phlebitis in my vein. Went to doc, they said it was from not cleaning the area or dirty needle. Had to take 4 antibiotics,3- 800mg Ibu, and 1 asprin a day for 2 weeks. The infection seemed to be gone but I still have pain in my arm, shoulder, left side of chest. Went back to doc, sent me immediately to hospital for Ultrasound, CT scan, EKG and blood test. They said no deep vein clots, said there may be nerve damage. Sent to neurologist, he thinks the same. Sending me for MRI thurs. The Red Cross has taken responsibility and is paying all out of pocket expenses, but what if I do have nerve damage from this, what am I supposed to do. I can’t sleep, drive comfortably, hurts just hanging my arm down by my side. I have worried myself to death and still worry about having a heart attack. I am only 32 and in excellent health, never had any medical problems in my life. Any advice
I went to a blood drive yesterday, and I have been to 4 before that. She stuck the needle in my left arm and I immediately felt pain run from the injection site down the inside of my arm to my thumb. I practically jumped out of my chair and told her to take it out. My arm felt like I had just burned it, and it was really numb and tingly. My arm is still numb in some spots and irritated. Will this nerve damage heal on it's own?
I am suffering the same symptoms as u all y r the medical profession getting away with this and wat is causing this?
U give blood for findings related to ure previous health  problems and to get more health problems!
anyone got any remedies? I've got five kids to look after !!!!!Thanks yasmin
Preston
hi,my partner is going through the same he had a b/t 5 days agao and his arm is swollen (never seen anything like it) he is in quite abit of pain too!what the hell has happened??
Yes, same for me, only my pain wasn't so severe as most people seem to be reporting, but my whole arm and shoulder is aching, also mild pins and needles on the inside of my forearm.
The nurse came in to where I was sitting,  from the receptionists office at my GP surgery. She didn't wash her hands, and she didn't use gloves. After rubbing my vein with her index finger she dragged a dry cotton wool ball over the vein, then rubbed it with her finger again and inserted a very large bore needle. No alcohol swab in sight. The stuff was already unwrapped on a tray when I entered the room. I told her it was REALLY painful, but she just dismissed it and carried on regardless, telling me I was imagining it.

For all I know she could have rubbed bacteria or virus over my vein and carried it directly into the bloodstream during the puncture.
The procedure for taking blood is SO SIMPLE a monkey could do it, but GP practice nurses NEVER follow the rules. It is disgraceful.
Even with the most experienced medical personnel drawing blood this can happen.  The nurse should have removed the needle when you told her; poor judgement on her/his part.  Never have blood drawn from this arm again.  

Try and rest the arm when you can.  I would ask your physician for another medication for the nerve pain (i.e. Neurontin, Lyrica).  It might take some time for the nerve pain to subside, but there is a possibility that the nerve damage is permanent.  Seeing a Neurologist wouldn't be a bad idea.          
I was wondering, I was giving blood for a simple test. My veins are small and wiggle. The tech tried to draw blood in my arm (elbow) and then in the side of my wrist by my thumb. I believe he hit a nerve. He stuck me then moved the needle to try to find the vein and bam a shock went into my hand and twinged. He pulled the needle
out right away. It is now 3 days later and everytime I twist my wrist to grab ANYTHING I get that same feeling back in my wrist part of my palm and mostly my thumb. What should I do?
I gave blood 4 days ago.  I felt the same pain from my forearm to my hand the moment the needle was put in.  It felt like electric shock or my arm was on fire.  I am still in constant pain and I feel the same shock when I do certain things like pick up my son, open a door,  the smallest tasks now hurt with that arm.  I too am hoping this is temporary but it is really beginning to scare me.  I have been giving blood for 20 years and never realized this was a a possible risk.  I think there should have been a disclosure warning statement.
i had blood drawn yesterday, and my arm feels the same way. it feels like an electric shock going through my arm, if i move it a certain way. when i am not doing anything, it feels like its asleep. i hope nothing serious is wrong, but it's annoying. if anyone knows what this is, please post on here.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You seem to have sustained an inadvertent nerve injury during the intentional blood withdrawal. If you are feeling tingling, numbness in your hand, you must consult a neurologist for a nerve conduction velocity study to check the viability of the nerve. This should not be something serious if the injury is a neuropraxia and hence the damage reversible. Other types of nerve damage viz, neurontemesis and axonotmesis. These can be detected by electromyogram and nerve conduction velocity study and neurontemesis is the most severe and irreversible. Your doctor should assess the damage and advise treatment accordingly. Take care.

I can't believe this, I just tried to get hospital to do an endoscopy to see if I have stomach ulcers and the guy wanted to do a blood test. He was foreign and clearly a newbie without a clue. I told him I had one done 3 days ago and the results yesterday were all negative. He still insisted on doing one. My entire arm felt like it had lactic acid through it, rock hard and my thumb and fingers tingling. He goes "this isn't working" and went out the room. He came back and tried again, still with no joy and blood on the floor (which I found out at the end because I didn't watch cos I don't like needles. I told him that's it, I'm not having this done anymore. He wanted to do my right arm and I refused. I went home read these comments and went back there angry (not the best thing for my stress related ulcers that I may or may not have). If there is any permanent damage for this, I would like to know if there's any compensation as he could have buggered up my arm.

I went back there angry and a more experienced doctor told me that the blood test was done correctly in the artery not the vein and to keep it moving. Is this the best idea? Surely I would like to give my nerves a chance to heal.

No endoscopy for ulcers he simply recommended me buscopan. He said I'm too young to have ulcers. I'm 26 and been working hard since I had a paper round at 13, so how does he know. I do not have or get digestive problems, just long term stress from hard physical work that could be serious. I do over 35 hrs of cleaning houses per week which I started up a year and a half ago, driving from one job straight to the next, fitting in 8hrs of cleaning on full days, and working 6 days a week, so yes it's stressful. What a wasted trip to the hospital that has made the situation worse.
Wow, thats exactly how it felt for me on Tuesday (today is Friday). I complained right away but she just continued filling up the tubes.  I have Lupus, relapsing polychondritis, fibromyalgia and thought the pain was due to one of my chronic pains. I have to get lab work done each month due to my meds and sed rate #.  I dropped my cup 2x from the sharp pain, the damn thumb is almost useless.  I tried cold compress and it hurt more, heat was better.  My dr said to try not to use it and it should be better before my next blood draw. I am right handed so there is no way I can rest it completely.
good luck with yours.
i had blood takin from my arm for them to check my cloresal,and i felt this shocking sinsation ever since about 6 to 13 times a day since,its like im getting electricuted,it really hurts i have broke glass,im droping things it wakes me up...wow!Thaen the one girl said to the other when i yelled in pain take it out put in a butter fly what ever that is ans the kicker is i have a few cancers and dont have a port any more because i cant untill i have surgery!  and i had a stroke in the other arem now im scard to get my chemo and all the blood draws i need every week!god bless all of you!
I have all those sensations...I gave blood 10 days ago...when the needle was put it in I felt a sharp sensation down my forearm like an electrical shock. I asked her to get the needle out. Since then everyone I straighten my arm I felt a weird popping feeling and sharp pain. If I tug a little at my wrist (gently) it's horrible pain. Went to the doctor today he said take Tylenol 5 times a day for pain and try ice...he said its not possible to have hit a nerve ( I just don't believe it) he said to call back in a week if the pain is still there...I'm so frustrated!
I have the same problem... I gave bllod at my school on Thursday May 17th, and when the nurse stuck the needle in me I felt a great amount of pain in my left arm, and it felt like I had been shocked severely. It is not Saturday May 19th, and when ever I move my arm I get the same feeling. My mom has gotten me an arm sling to rest my arm in but it doesnt seem to be working. I have been reading these comments, and now I am a little scared. Please reply if you have any idea on what I can do to help stop the pain.
This happened to me yesterday. Routine blood test at doctors treatment room by nurse.  As soon as the need was in I experienced a severe ache all over my arm. I made the nurse aware but she wasn't even bothered.  She just said that the pain would subside.  It didn't.  I left the surgery with a really painful arm and virtually unable to drive.  I went back to work but could hardly even move my arm and definitely not straighten it.  I rang the docs a few hours later only to be told that I should return to the treatment room.  My arm by this point was really swollen but no bruising.  When I explained to a different nurse what the problem was, she was very rude and said looking at my arm that "you didn't get that here". Cheeky cow....I was so furious.  She continued to say that in all her years she had never heard of this happening.  Total rubbish me thinks!  48 hrs later and I am still unable to straighten my arm, still swollen.  My wrist aches, feels almost like carpel tunnel which leads me to think they have damaged a nerve.  What hacked me off was their attitude.....and they are supposed to be professionals!
Hi have been reading all these comments about nerve damage from having blood drawn and this happened to me as well, went for my 3 months checup for my diabetese and of course had to have blood drawn and when the girl stuck the needle in my left arm i felt like electrical shocks running down my left arm and told her to take the needle out , my arm hurt really  bad and the feeling of tingling and some pain has lasted since this past Tuesday everytime i stretch my arm out i feel the feeling of electrical shocks and pain , the lab tech asked the other lady tech to draw the blood so she used a butterfly needle and i am trying to wait to see if it stops and heals on it's on but i feel i should let the doctor know about this in case i do have to have something done . i guess i will call my doctor monday to let her know what happened.i never thought about anything going wrong from having blood drawn .    
Has yours gotten better?  Mine sounds exactly the same.

Dan
Did yours get better?  If so, how long did it take.  Mine is going on about 5 days and I scheduled a Dr appt for next week.  I hope this isn't permanent.

Dan
Well at least I'm not alone. I had a routine blood draw in November 2011, in December I complained to my doctor.  I had a ultrasound which showed nothing.  I went to a cardiologist because its the left arm (you never know) and I was fine.  It's now September and I have the most annoying pain that runs from the blood draw site to my hand.  I can now assume its nerve pain, it feels like the vein is going to blow up and I'm left handed so I constantly use it.  Is there anything that can be done to reverse the nerve damage?  I
I had blood drawn last wednesday. Ive been going for a series of tests and this was about the 4th or 5th time that i had blood drawn in approx 8 days. I did switch arms to try to avoid injury. But last wednesday as soon as she stuck the needle in I knew something wasnt right. It was just painful. Normally I dont feel pain when I have my blood taken. My arm is actually getting worse not better. Today I can't even straighten my arm all the way. If I twist a certain way I just want to yelp out in pain! My bicep is sore, where she took my blood is sore, the side of my arm is sore. Im just a mess. The whole area is greenish yellow. On the side of my arm I can see teeny tiny purple veins. Im afraid I have nerve damage! Will it go away? Can it be fixed? what should I do?
wow, I cant believe all these comments on blood draws sound exactly like what happened to me. I have never had any problem with getting my blood drawn, I have good veins and sometimes they are so good I barley feel anything. When I had my blood drawn 5 days ago I couldnt believe the pain that went down my arm from my antecubital area when the puncture was all the way down to my wrist. It was a searing pain , never had anything like it. I finnally called today to complain about it because I am having the strangest sensation in that arm when I move it and sometimes the same type of shooting pain. It feels like my vein is popping or something when I move it, its weird.
This just happened to me today so I googled now that I am back home and saw this discussion. I knew something went wrong this morning with my blood work. the girl stuck the needle straight down (in my inner elbow area) in my right arm and sent an immediate electrical shock feeling way down to my finger tips, my whole lower arm went numb for a minute or two, asked for the doctor. The doctor said that my nerve will heal in 2 months with discomfort and my nerve will recover. i worry bec my right hand is my means of livelihood - i am a needlework designer and do computer work a lot and physically active doing gardening and carpentry. i also lift weights at the gym. so i am worried. as i am typing this, i feel okey but worried that i may feel something like pain later on. it's winter and i know that i cannot expose my right arm to anything cold anymore. i just want to be okey...
This happened to me also less than a week ago.  Was hoping that someone with some medical knowledge could give all of us some advice here on what exactly happened to us during the blood draw that caused these numbness, electrical shock feelings ?

Wondering if:

1) Is it likely that the medical asst. that drew the blood used an incorrect technique that caused her to hit a nerve ?
2) Is hitting a nerve with the needle a "rookie mistake", or does it often happen to even the best Phlobotomist?
3) What can we watch for or advice the person drawing blood the next time?

I would very much appreciate any comments or thoughts.  Thanks !!!
I got hit almost 2 months ago... still in a lot of pain (in arm, hand (a bit) and wrist). I hope this didn't cause carpel tunnel syndrome (having trouble typing) - I have kids to feed (well not now, but in the future perhaps!

The injection site was on the inside near my elbow...but when the nurse hit it...my wrist jumped up in pain.

Went to 2 doctors....they all said it would heal with time!!! - But how much time?????
Just wanted to follow up.  My Nerve pain/numbness after the blood draw diminished in about 4 weeks.  I was prepared to have it for months because it was so bad.  To my surprise and delight, it is now pretty much gone.  However, I learned a valuable lesson to watch the Blood draw and ask questions BEFORE they do the draw.  Like, why are they choosing the vein on the medial side of the inside of my elbow where there is more risk of hitting a nerve???

Also, going to a real Phlobotomist next time, they do draws every day as opposed to the nurses in the Doctors office.  
     Don't necessarily believe the doc's who tell you it will be OK in N days or weeks.  Counter-example: my sig. other got the nerve damage more than two years ago from an errant blood draw (two penetrations in spite of her instruction to not go in, again) and she still has pain, weakness, inability to do certain motions with her fingers, and problems extend from the shoulder through the fingers.
Same exact thing happened to me.  Now that I've heard it being described as an electric shock that's exactly the way I feel after the procedure. During,  as my arm laid out against other tools I was struck to in the middle of my upward facing arm but felt another pinch of a needle under my Same arm close to my hand at the same time. At first I thought I accidentally laid my arm on  an open needle but nothing was there.  It turned red right away and still hurts to days later.  I hope it's not nerve damage.
I also had a bad experience recently.....GP taking blood! I have been taking people's blood for year and i have never caused anything like the pain i had. It is very worrying when it happens but generally it will improve.....can take a few weeks though as the poor old nerve is bruised.
I couldn't believe the intense pain it caused in my arm. Dont be too protective of the site though.....keep giving it a good rub, this will help too desensitise the area. If it doesn't improve get you GP to do some nerve conduction testsd. This will show if there is any nerve damage.
This is fascinating.  I went to donate blood yesterday and typically that's a challenge because I don't have great veins. But yesterday as soon as she put the needle in I had intense pain down my forearm to my wrist. It felt like acid poured on my arm. I immediately told her to take it out. The pain has eased but not subsided completely. Like one other person who posted on here, when I looked at the inside of my elbow where the needle was inserted, there was a tremendous pool of blood. I've never had that happen before either. She said she had absolutely no idea what the problem was and had never had that happen before. I started looking online to find out what it could be and found this post. I truly hope that any damage done will resolve itself.
I posted previously and have had resolution to my arm numbness due to the blood draw.  I just want to make a comment/observation...is it only me or do I see a pattern of health care professionals denying these type of "complications" when they arise?  Just an observation, but several of my friends have had unusual outcomes from blood draws, surgery, etc. and it seems that whenever something was "off" from the norm, the health care professional denies ever hearing of such a situation.

REALLY?  or is that some type of "liability disclaimer" they are told to say ????
Just curious if anyone else has noticed a pattern like this.  I cannot believe some of the denials I've heard.  
SAME THING happened to me 9 days ago giving blood..excruciating pain down forearm to wrist and fingers...when I complained to the tech she had the nerve to blame me!  She said, "When you give blood, you have to keep your arm straight".  ..are you kidding?... I agree, they know what just happened and they are trying to cover themselves!   Pain still there, especially when I straighten it! They should be held accountable.
Went Sat and had the same thing happen to me. My forearm hurst whenever I pull up my sleve and it goes all the way up to my deltoid. I sent the red cross an email. This is totally unacceptable. I have never had this horrible of an experience giving blood before. The needle whole is so far from my vein it's not even funny!
I had the same thing happen to me! As soon as the nurse put the needle in my vein I almost jumped out of my seat the tingling senstation was so bad it went from the needle down my arm to my fingers my hand went numb for a second! not today my whole arm is sore and i can no stretch it out and my wrist hurts a bit too. When I told the nurse what happned she did not even answer me! Just kept quiet! then the blood was coming out very very slow and she said its because i jumped and made her hit it wrong, BULL i jumped bc she indeed Hit it wrong on her own and apparently hit my nerve instead!

When I had my last child I had nerve damage in my hand from the IV attempts they did. It took about a year to heal! It hurt to move my thumb a certain way a very strange annoying feeling.
I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago I'm calling a lawyer in the morning. The supervisor told me it was my Lupus Or Fibro. I think she put it in the whole i had blood work from a few days ago and she also didn't finish she said she had enough blood my blood work was for pre-op. Did any ones pain go away. Mine is getting worst each day.
Has this gone away for anyone?? I just recently had this happen to me and my elbow all the way to me fingers is screwed up! I don't know what to do!
When my doctor of 10 years drew blood instant burning pain, I screamed and  she told me to knock it off and continue to probe for the vein.  She eventual gave up and switched arms. I have a condition that required monthly blood test, so I am not a wimp. That was over 2 years ago.  My left arm has never recovered. When I extend my arm or carry anything  I get the burning sensation.  I have lost the strength in this arm and have difficulty sleeping. I never when back to her,   I now realize the damage is permanent and have learned to live with it.    
I was one of the "pissed off" ones that got the numbness from the poor blood draw.  
I was prepared with research before I went into the blood draw because I know that I have deep hard to find veins that tend to roll when the try.  But, I have had previous successful blood draws from people that knew what they were doing, so I know it was do-able.  Still couldn't prevent the nurse from hitting the nerve, it just happened and then it was too late.  Don't know what to do in the future except to always go to a full fledged phlebotomist that draws blood all day every day instead of a tech or nurse that claims she is good at it.

Anyways, my Nervy/numbness did subside in about 6 weeks and I don't even notice it anymore.  Doesn't always go away though, from what I've read and hearing other's experiences.

Yes, I was angry about the poor blood draw and angry that the nurse didn't acknowledge  that she could have possibly made a mistake or have done it better.  But, I had to "let it go" and repeat to myself "it is what it is" at this point.  I consider it a BIG learning experience where I do not just trust that all of these Doctors, nurses, and techs are "professionals".
I will be taking charge of my blood draws in the future by going direct to a phlebotomist that I trust and get a good feel for. Even then I will be asking questions ahead of the draw and if I don't like what I hear or if they have a bad attitude from my questions, I will simply walk out (unless it's an emergency of course).
Good luck and I wish you the best.  
I had an IV inserted in November 2012 and while the insertion did not hurt, it immediately hurt afterwards, now almost 7 months later, my hand is still numb and tingling, so seriously this seems to last forever.  I went to my regular GP and he was more concerned that I hadnt had blood work in a couple of years.  He did send me for an xray and a sonogram, I got a call yesterday saying the sonogram showed nothing and no one has bothered to let me know if the xray showed anything.  Good Luck, I am miserable, I am right handed but cannot use it to lift anything, and I can tell it is getting weak as I am using my left hand all the time.  I just can't believe all this!!
I have been searching the internet because I have the same problem and symptoms.  I am an RN myself and am truly sorry with the problems I've read above.  As a nurse, we do try our best but as a professional I think we all need to be better educated upon doing blood draws to prevent these patterns of nerve damage!
I just went to get a blood draw done and the medical assistant was very good about using aseptic technique (cleaning well, using gloves etc.) although I should have known when she said I don't do this etc to the Physician Assistant.  A word of advice "professionals" if you don't do it that often, DON'T ATTEMPT!
Anyway, as soon as she stuck me I felt a shooting pain at the injection site (my antecubital fossa area, or the area above the elbow).  This was the FIRST time I have ever felt a pain like that.  For several hours after my arm hurt at the injection site especially when straightening my arm out.  And now, almost 12 hours later I still have a small-medium amount of pain.  I will be returning to the same clinic to have my TB test read but I will be bringing documents for them to pass on to their medical assistants so that in the future they will be careful during their blood draws and be taught better technique so other unsuspecting souls who pass their way are not hurt, especially permanently.  
I also wanted to pass on some medical studies from medical journals that may be of some help to those who are still experiencing pain.  I hope along with you that this will heal and not be permanent!  God bless!

Articles:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17359520
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/68334
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8604504/
http://www.medivisuals.com/antecubital-fossa-anatomy-and-venipuncture-20504001x.aspx
my doctor checks me for cholesterol levels every few months because of some medication I take.  Most of my other doctors would do this in a lab by a lab person, and before he moved to his new location he did this also, but last week, his nurse took my blood from one of those beds you sit up on in the Doctor's office when you visit and I had no table to rest my arm on, and she didn't give me a choice of arms to take from, she just put a bunch of vials on the bed beside me and poked me I don't even think she sterilized it.  The instant she poked me(before drawing a single vial) I felt a sharp pain like battery acid being poured into my entire forearm, I felt faint and weak like I was going to faint but resisted the temptation to faint, I said nothing and endured the pain as she took 5 vials of blood then I lay back as soon as she removed the needle, as I was too dizzy to sit up.  Now, about a week later, the front of my forearm(nearest my wrist) to the bottom of my thumb feels numb and when I stretch my arms back, say to yawn, I feel the sharp pain as it was when I took the test.  I have to get these tests done every nine months or my doctor will refuse to treat me and I have little other choice but I will not be doing it from that nurse again, will demand to go to a lab or leave and if refused, hopefully I'll be able to seek another doc, though not a whole lot of promising ones in my area, OKC Oklahoma, and this one was actually the highest rated one! If that is true what are the others like :((
I had this happen a few months ago, my entire arm went numb as the nurse changed over for the second vial.

It didn't hurt but gives pins and needles and I knew something was wrong. After this, every time I stretched my arm I had a nasty what felt like electric shock.

It took about 2 weeks to heal, I made sure I rested the arm and done everything I could with my other arm and was very careful not to straighten the arm. In my case, it did heal.

They went for the middle vein in my arm (which I've had plenty of times without issue before), but now I just ask them to go for another and tell them I've had issues with the other vein in the past. It's no problem.
I had the same (frightening) experience with all the symptoms; numbness, arm swelling and pain, tingling in my hand... It took around 6 weeks, but I'm happy to tell you... I'm now completely HEALED! :))) ...and you will be too, it really is just a matter of time. This is what I've been suggested by a Pharmacist doctor and did:

- been really careful not carrying any weight my my injured arm and let it rest
- took a Vitamin B complex (B6 + B12) every day for 1 months
- took an Acetyl-L-carnitine  supplement for 1 month (helped greatly!)
- took some Hypericum Perforatum 9CH (homeopathic remedy)

Since I started these medicine I started feeling better within a week but it took a whole month to start feeling normal again.

With the warmest wishes to you all. I know how scary it can be.

Thank you!  I am happy to know that you rested it and it got better!  I did not know what to do.  Since you rested and got better I will stop pushing my arm to heal!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!  Please pray for my recovery! Aloha, Jacqueline
I will, Jacqueline :) Im so sure you will be fine!

yes, being very gentle with your arm is super important, but the supplements for nerves recovery are important too...
Hypericum has been great for me for nerve inflammation, Nicetile (the Acetyl-L-carnitine  supplement) and Vitamin B complex are what helped the nerve re-generate.  

warm wishes
Not only could she have infected you with a bacterial agent ,from your own skin but to my knowledge the sight should always be cleaned with alcohol wipe. You mentioned she did not wash her hands , nor wear gloves . She also could of infected you with any number of infections in the bloodstream , not to mention contaminating the blood culture. Dry cotton balls are applied with light pressure and or tape after the needle or I.V. is withdrawn. I am not in any medical field , but would recommend that you find the proper people to contact about this unprofessional medical group , so they are forced to follow procedure , and pray that you were not exposed to a bacterial infection in the blood stream.
I agree with your comment above.  I have recently been to two different dr. offices for blood draws.  I have small/rolling veins that are hard to find.  I had the problem of the two different nurses ripping off the fingertip of their glove to palpate for the vein before they poked the needle in.  They said they could feel the veins better with their bare finger.

It happened so fast that I couldn't stop them...but again, like you said above---they most likely rubbed their germs on the puncture site right before the puncture.  Wouldn't that poke the germs/bacteria into the hole and potentially into my bloodstream?  

As disappointing as it is, I don't feel many offices follow proper procedures.  I watched many videos on "how to do blood draws properly" and learned many techniques...such as the circlular alcohol wipe motion, the angle of the needle, etc.    From my experiences these nurses develop bad habits and do what they want.

I even tried to review some of the really important steps ahead of time, but they then get an attitude problem like you are telling them what to do.

Any ideas on how to prevent some of these issues would be helpful.
I donated blood 2 months ago  my arm turned black and blue almost right away now I get a burning sensation when ever I put any pressure on the arm  like lifting something heavy or pushing something its my right arm so I use it a lot went to a vascular doctor he thinks the nerve ending was tweaked.