Neurology Community
Nerve damage in neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nerve damage in neck

Ok some background first.  Three years ago, I was involved in a gun accident, 9mm.  I was sitting on a couch looking far to my right.  The bullet went in my right cheek, chipped my jaw, then chipped two transverse process and maybe a spinous process, I can't remember, then exited left posterior neck. There is nerve damage, mostly to the spinal accessory nerve at the root where there is nothing that can be done.  It isn't severed, I don't believe. Just damaged from the heat of the bullet.  So I fried my nerves I guess.  There was an immediate pain in my shoulder and arm, but in a stupor from the accident, I assumed the pain in my arm was from the tetanus shot in the er for quite a few months.  I couldn't lift my arm above my head to do anything.  It wasn't because of pain, it simply wouldn't go.  I realized this but didn't have any insurance at the time.  A year after the accident, I was able to get to a chiropractor and after the first adjustment, full mobility in my arm was restored.  There is still weakness, but I am able to lift it above my head.  I did manage to get insurance about 6 months after the accident and was able to get into a neurologist.  I was put on amitriptyline and gabapentin (highest dose I believe, it was a lot of pills)  I slept for the next year.  I literally don't remember most of it.  I lost that insurance and had to move to medicare and also moved states.  Now I can't even get my pcp to send me to any kind of specialist except a pain clinic.  They did an mri and say there is nothing wrong, they see nothing.  Something should have been noted right?  I mean the broken off transverse processes just don't grow back right and I assume they would have at least mentioned it on the report.  I am in the process of getting the original mri done at the time of the injury to prove to them that yes, there is something going on here.  Meanwhile, I am in pain and all they want to do is throw different anti-depressants at me.  If that would help I would be fine with it, but I don't understand how they can treat me if they don't even know whats going on.  I have pain in my neck, shoulder, rotator cuff area, and halfway down my back in a big triangle area.  There is skin numbness in all areas with electrical pulses down both arms but more intense on the right.  I seem to go in cycles of pain.  The muscles in my face clench up so tight, it affects my vision and my ability to talk.  The right side being worse, but it does affect both sides.  Pain in my teeth make life unbearable at times.  Even my neck will hurt from the swelling and my ear well swell shut.  I tell this to my dr and he says, "well there is no real reason for it from looking at your mri"  There is a reason for it and I would like to figure it out and have my dr understand it as well so we can go about proper treatment.  Physical therapy does help with the daily pain, but did nothing to keep the flare ups of pain away.  Anybody with nerve damage in the neck have symptoms like me?  This is getting so old, and yet I realize I have the rest of my life to deal with it.  I forgot to mention that I do have a slightly drooping shoulder and muscle atrophy on the right side and I still can't quite whistle or smile right, the right bottom lip doesn't work right.