Nerve damage in sacrum area
I was reading about possible nerve damage in another forum to the area of the sacrum where there are tiny nerve endings.  I cannot remember the name. Anyway, about a year and a half ago I was accidently kneed in this area very hard, and it shot intense pain up both sides of my pelvis.  I am now having colon issues that I did not have before.  I tried to tell the gastro doctor about this accident but he seemed to brush it off.  i"m going to be getting a colonoscopy soon because the condition hasn't improved.  Could this accident be related to what I'm experiencing now?
How are you feeling now?
Sacral injuries can cause bladder and bowel incontinence.
But your symptoms seem to be unrelated.
You can get Colonoscopy done.
If results are negative still, you can get yourself a neurocheck by neurologist and decide further course of action.
Bye.
How are you feeling now?
But your symptoms seem to be unrelated.
You can get Colonoscopy done.
Bye.
I don't have adequate insurance at the moment so cannot get tested right now.  My symptoms have not alleviated at all, and I am now having the feeling of needing to urinate when I don't.  This just started a few days ago.  My left buttock, where I was need, still hurts (not tremendously but noticeably) in the area where I was kneed.  Any ideas?
After the incident, a few months later, I noticed a small pain in my left abdomen, and then it got progressivly persistent, and then went to the right side, both places where I had initially felt the first pain after the incident.
Hi.

What exactly are the colon issues you've been experiencing? Did the symptoms of urinary urges occur at the same time as the colon symptoms? Do you experience any other pain aside from the buttocks pain?

It is possible that your symptoms could be caused by nerve damage secondary to trauma at the sacral spine level. However, nothing can be ascertained at this moment. A visit to a neurologist might be needed.

How would you describe the abdominal pain? Were you assessed for appendicitis at the time it occurred?

You could also have a urologist check out your urinary symptoms if you want.

Hope this helps.
Hi, thank you for responding.

Colon issues - mainly the pain on both sides of the pelvis, mucous, feels better after passing stool/gas.  No constipation problems.  Still think it has to do with the injury.

Urinary thing just started a couple of days ago.  Had no problem before that. Pain in buttock is almost like it flared up again.  Have been under a lot of stress due to loss of job in May and still looking for full time work.  Foolishly dropped Cobra thinking I could save some money and get temp. insurance, feeling like I'd be employed by now.  I do think its nerve damage.  Am wondering if I can alleviate some of it by purchasing a donut seat to relieve pressure in the area and taking anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen until I am able to see a doctor.
Hi.

As long as it makes you feel more comfortable and you have no allergies to OTC pain medications, it would be perfectly okay to do so.

However, remember that the relief that you may experience from this is only temporary.  Unless the underlying cause is treated, your symptoms will keep recurring. You will still need to see a physician.

Good luck.
LTK
Is it possible that a "neuro check" can detect damaged sacral nerves? X-rays don't pick up nerve issues, do MRI's? How best to determine sacral nerve pinching or damage?

Lisa
I hope this thread is still monitored.  I have NF-1 and have multiple tumors along most of the nerves in my spine, have had some compression and resulting laminectomies.  Suddenly, about a month ago, I developed stabbing lower back pain, with pain radiating down my left leg, with accompanying (new) numbness and loss of sensation.  Also developed bowel and urinary incontinence.  I know there are tumors throughout the sacral area of the spine.  Would tumors damaging the nerves there cause the pain and incontinence?  Thanks for your time
Has anyone mentioned "coccydynia" in a diagnosis? This is a too-broad term - covers a sight bruise to the tailbone through debilitating nerve damage. If the pain seems to be centered in the area of your tailbone, at the sacral/coccyx point, and fanning out to the buttocks, other areas of the back, the legs and possibly the arms..good luck. My husband has been debilitated by "spontaneous coccydynia" for 12 YEARS. After seeing numerous MDs and pain management anesthesiologists with no relief, he recently found two MDs who recognize what the problem is - worsening coccygeal nerve damage with nerve pain "referring" (traveling) to other areas. It is as if the nerves in the ligaments that attach to the coccyx short-circuited, became inflamed and constantly sent pan messages to the brain. Over time, those nerves have made connections to other, unrelated nerves, which now also send those false pain messages. The treatment of last resort is an intrathecal morphine pump, placed under his skin to deliver morphine directly to the originating nerve site. This may or may not work, will determine if he is a candidate after he recovers from a recent colon resection that we assumed was totally unrelated (?). Does anyone out there have any information on any area I've mentioned?

Joann
20 years of pain in lower back radiating to both hips pain in lower abdomen left side and numbness to left thigh took me to a surgeon 2 weeks post op from fusion to L4/5 and S1 surgery all pain has returned same as before surgery I think the pain is coming from sacrum 1-4 another mylogram scheduled for friday any thing would help if you understand my pain
Don't know if anyone ever helped you with this and by now you've probably already had the pump implant. I have nerve damage to my coccyx (coccydynia), resulting from a fall on our driveway, followed by a second fall down our basement steps. After 3 years of doctors' visits, I was told my only real answer for pain relief was to have pump implanted. I had that done in 2005. It now carries a continuous dose of morphine directly to the site of my pain. I am not pain free, so what the pump isn't able to manage, an immediate release 30mg morphine tablet does. Life isn't perfect, but as a result of the implant, I was able to work full-time for another 6 years.  I did go on permanent disability in 2011. I hope this helpful.