Nerve damage in toes
I've had cortisone shots, taken Voltaren, do stretching excersises, my doctor says last resort surgery.  I have a heal spur that has caused my 3rd and 4th toes on rt foot nerve damage, pain level 7 to 8 all the time.  Is surgery necessary?  What type is it? What does it do and is it effective?  Recovery time?  
Hi there. Foot pain is the main indication for bone spur surgery putting pressure on a nerve.  Usually this is done as an outpatient procedure. Foot and lower leg are scrubbed for 8 to 10 mins with an antibacterial soap not ignoring the toe web spaces. The foot and lower leg are then wrapped until the patient is on OT table and washed with an antiseptic solution.  Anesthesia could be regional or general. Regional anesthesia can be applied to the forefoot and local anesthesia can be used for a minor bone spur removal. a sedative relaxes the individual and a tourniquet may be applied to ankle and foot to reduce blood flow and a clear work field.  Bone spurs on the foot are removed via an open procedure by cutting into the foot, taking care to avoid damage to tendons and nerves. After the affected bone is exposed, osteotome is used to remove the spur and the site is smoothened with a coarse file. The incision is closed with sutures. Hope this answers your doubts. Take care.

My doctor said there was no way to remove the spur, he is suggesting I have the nerves cut out of my 3rd and 4th toes.  Could this be crippling, very high risk?
Why not get rid of the source (spur), I asked him, he said it wasn't that easy!  What kind of doctor should I consult about spur removal?