Neurology Community
Nerve injury from vaccination

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nerve injury from vaccination

I could not raise my arm about 3 hours after a flu vaccination in October '08.  It was like dead weight.  I had to use my other hand to help move my limp arm in order to dress, etc.  In the days that followed my arm became painful to use; and even though it  improved after receiving a  cortisone injection, I still experienced  some pain.  An MRI showed inflammation and a small 6-8mm tear in my rotator cuff.  I had no problem with my shoulder until the reaction from the flu injection.  The doctor who treated me had not seen a case like this, but thought my axillary nerve may have been injured by the injection.  Is it possible that the nerve was injured and affected my muscles and rotator cuff enough to cause the tear?  Would the flu vaccine remain in the nerve?  After 8 months, I still have pain in different parts of my shoulder and sometimes a burning sensation near the arm pit.  Thank you for any advice you can give me .
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The injection has not been given properly. It has been given in such a way to cause injuty to your nerve. It is a long wait for the nerve to regenerate. Assess the damage near a neurologist and go for further treatment. Take care!
Thank you so much for responding.  Can you elaborate on the proper way the injection should have been given?  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If you give an injection, in general the preferred site would be the arm for intramuscular. The insertion of the deltoid muscle on the arm is choosen as there is no vessel or nerve at this place. You draw a little to make sure that it did not enter a vessel and then start giving the injection. If it is subcutaneous then thigh, abdomen is preferred normally. To give an intravenous then the superficial veins in cubital fossa, i.e opposite your elbow is preferred. But the physician normally decides and this is not a rule. There is possibility of an unknown human error and unfortunately, i think had taken place in your case. Till i do not know the person, circumstance, experience involved who has given it to you i have no right to blame anyone. Take care!
Thank you again for your response.  I was given the flu injection by a pharmacist at a local pharmacy.  I usually receive my flu vaccines from local flu clinics , and this is the first time it has happened to me.  I 'm very hesitant about ever getting another vaccination.  If I do, I will go to a doctor's office.  Once again, thank you for responding to my question. You have been very helpful.
I have the same problem, where the polio vaccine was given to me in the back of the arm since the nurse told me it's supposed to take better into fatty tissue.  It's now affected my radial nerve, and I can't lift my forearm and have numbness down to my thumb.  Can you advise as to a typical healing time, and what sort of treatment is available?  My doctor has told me the only thing I can do is give it time.
To all arm and shoulder issue sufferers after receiving flu shots,
PLEASE FILE A REPORT with the governmental agency,   http://vaers.hhs.gov/index       so that statistics are kept, and recommendations amended. There are a lot of us who got injured and the word must get out!