Neurology Community
Nerve pain after sugery for a broken leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had a spiral fracture of the tibia and fibula just above the ankle in the spring of 2007.  My doctor put hardward in and fixed the break, however, the hardware caused multiple infections, resulting in multiple surgeries to "clean up" the hardware.  Once the bone had healed enough for the bone to hold, it was taken out completely.  Total number of surgeries was 5...oh, and then I got a stress fracture from running too soon.  I now have significant nerve pain in my lower leg.  For a while, it was getting much better and I was able to run and work out, but now it's gotten very painful again.  I'm confused at the fact that it's worsened.  Will this ever get better or will it be good for a while, and then bad for a while?  My last surgery was around November of 2007.  I absolutely do not want to take nerve pain medication.  Thank you so much for any advice.