Nerve pain in leg has taken over my life!
I am a 39 yr old woman with nerve damage in my left leg. I have had 2 discectomies(L5-S1) and 1 lumbar fusion. All of this from a slip and fall. The pain is in my left leg, from the knee down to the tips of my toes. I have done water therapy, physical therapy, injections, and last summer had a spinal cord stimulator put in. That has helped, especially with meds, was on 900 mg of neurotin 3 times a day, now I take 300 mg once a day, but I am still in pain. I cannot wear socks, most shoes r to painful to wear, have to prop my foot up while sitting, Cannot stand longer than 30 mins, same with sitting. My life has come to a screaching halt. I cant take the pain especially in the winter,  the cold sometimes is unbearable. I am wondering if there is any other treatment I could do, or new medication I could use. I also take nucynta for pain and flexaral. I have not worked in 4 years and want to go back. HELP!!!!
Hi there. Treatment of nerve related pain includes medications and nerve blocks including implantable systems.  Physical therapy, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation TENS and psychological therapy, occupational therapy for coping with pain is necessary. Antidepressants or tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline and nortriptiline. Neuroleptics like carbamazepine, felbamate, valproic acid, clonazepam and phenytoin alongwith gabapentin are effective. Local anesthetic agents like intravenous application of lidocaine, tocainide or mexiletene, can be prescribed as combination. Spinal cord stimulation introduces low level of electrical current to the dorsal portion of spinal cord and can include a fully implanted system or a system with an external power source. Hope this helps. Take care.