Neurology Community
Nervous tick - sucking air through teeth repeatedly

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Greetings,

My 50 year old sister has a habit/tick that is quite odd. She is repeatedly and sporatically sucking air through her teeth making a sucking sound interspersed between sentances in a conversation.
She wore a teeth retainer as a young adult. She also used methanphedamine as a work stimulant regularly through the ages of 25 and 30. The frequency and intensity has increased over the years.
Could this be a neurological disorder? Or some other disorder, or a psycological condition or just a bad habit.
Has anyone seen this before?
Thank you in advance.
JS
Hello.

Methamphetamine is a psychostimulant. Have you observed your sister to be talking more than needed? If yes, she probably has developed this habit from the meth.

Do you observe any other behavioral changes in her? Is her routine different than what it used to be a few days or months back?

Tics may develop at this age, too. There are certain characteristics of tics. They are unintended actions, occur almost throughout the waking hours, can be controlled voluntarily for some time and the person tell you that he/she has a discomfort due to the tics.

Sorry for the number of questions.

Regards

My 6 year old son has started doing this recently.  He does it mainly in the evening, repeatedly.  When I ask him to stop he says "it feels weird if I don't do it".  At the same time he started waking at night disoriented, shaky, confused, distressed, whining and inconsolable.  Any ideas?  I found something about anemia....
My Mom does that exact same thing. She also has a habit of clearing her throat loudly along with it. She has done it since I can remember. She has been very stressed out and nervous lately because my dad has been in the hospital so she does it incessently. When she is relaxed she does it much less often. My brother and sister and I have noticed that it is constantly going on lately and that's what prompted me to look it up on-line.
My Mom doesn't have any neurological disorders. We've always just considered it to be a habit or a tick.
When I was a kid I used to always know where she was when I would get lost in a store because I could hear her sucking air through her teeth and clearing her throat : ) It is very loud and high-pitched.
I know it can annoy other people but my family and I are used to it.