Neurology Community
Neurological causes of bladder problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neurological causes of bladder problem

Hi, I am in my early 20's and recently I have been experiencing some weird neurological symptoms. Prior to these symptoms, I had panic attacks and severe anxiety for about a month followed by a week long viral infection (myalgia, diarrhea, exhaustion, fever, slight cough). During this time I took ciprofloaxacin (500mg, 2x daily for 5 days) to treat what I thought was most likely a intestinal bacterial infection. Stool samples were negative for bacteria or parasites so apparently I was wrong.

About a week later I started having a dripping problem after I would urinate. It was mild so I didn't think much of it. The dripping stopped after about a week or two, then I started having urgency and frequency problems. I figured I had a urinary tract infection or something like that so I went to the doctor who thought I probably had nongonococcal urethritis (NGU). This was after a negative test for syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. He prescribed 2 weeks of doxycycline. I took the medicine with strict adherence.

The medicine did not help the bladder problem. Moreover, after I stopped the round of antibiotics,  I started getting a weird type of headache where I would feel like I had to sneeze for a moment and then I would get a flashing pain in the back of my head for a couple seconds. This flash would go on and off for about an hour. After about 4 days, these headaches stopped.

I have been tested for HIV (negative ELISA 2.5 months after last having sex) so I am fairly sure that the problems aren't related to HIV associated peripheral neuropathy. It was relatively low risk exposure with a CSW in SE Asia...
I have yet to be tested for HTLV. I am waiting until 6 months post exposure.

I also have pretty bad fatigue, an unsteady gait (it's rare, but usually upon just standing up in darkness), and occassional tingling sensations in my hands and my right foot. These tinglings have mostly subsided and sometimes it feels like I am being bitten by small bugs on my legs and arms (small pinches of pain).

My friends, family and  doctor are convinced that I am a hypochondriac. I am really just wanting to fix the bladder problem and fatigue. I seriously peed my pants while bowling the other night. Not cool. I can't get very much done because I'm tired all day. Also not cool.

Anyway, please tell me what you think I should do at this point? Should I see a neurologist? Change doctors?

If anyone has any suggestions as to the cause of my problems (cipro, htlv, ms, etc) and the likelyhood of associating these to what is going on with me... please offer those.

THANKS ! :)
ehhh anyone?
You have a Neurogenic bladder.

=====
Textbook of the Neurogenic Bladder by Jacques Corcos
http://www.chipsbooks.com/txtblad.htm

"Neurological Pathologies Responsible for the Development of the Neurogenic Bladder...(includes) Lyme Disease."

(This source lists the causes of neurogenic bladder.)

=====
World International Lyme Disease Emergency Resource Network
http://www.wildernetwork.org/faq038.html

SOME of the symptoms that may be found in those with Lyme disease include:
+ Flu-like symptoms,
+ Headaches (mild to severe),
+ Often patients exhibit fatigue (mild to extreme),
+ Panic attacks,
+ Anxiety,
+ Depression,
+ Bladder dysfunction (neurogenic bladder with either hesitancy, frequency, loss of bladder awareness, urinary retention, incontinence or symptoms of UTI, and chronic pyelonephritis).

=====
The first source I provided lists the causes of neurogenic bladder.

The second source lists symptoms of tick borne infection, which can vary greatly.
The bacteria that causes Lyme Disease infects the nerves.
This is why symptoms can differ so much from patient to patient.

More information:
The Canadian Lyme Foundation:  http://www.canlyme.com/

Wild Condor's Lyme Links:  http://www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks.html

(If the url's are removed, you can google for the titles.)

Wishing you the best,
Carol

Thanks for your response. I failed to develop the typical "bulls eye rash" that's often associated with Lyme disease. Apparently this does not happen 100% of the time. I will get tested. Thank you.
Another note, I did take an extended round of doxycycline (which is often used to treat early lyme disease). I haven't been able to find any real statistics on how long it takes for the progression to neurological disease, but 2 months doesn't seem likely. Also, I am experiencing no joint pain whatsoever. Hmmmm, maybe I AM just crazy? ha.
Oh, start reading the info at canlyme and the lyme links.
You'll find out.
Ok. Great! Thanks! I'm going to talk to my doctor this week. Thank you for your help.