Neurology Expert Forum
Neurological problems caused by virus?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neurological problems caused by virus?

I'm 25 and for about the last 3 and a half years have been expiriencing symptoms of a neurological problem.  It started with having the sensation of cold spots or water on my skin, usually my legs and usually in heat such as direct sunlight.  Soon after I began getting twitches that occur often throughout the day in random spots.  I also have eye floaters, slight shakiness of my muscles when using them, and more recently mental and cognative problems. All of these problems have gradually worsened. I went to the doctors and got thouroughly checked out for these symtoms (symptoms), recieved MRI, spinal fluid tests, blood tests.  All tests showed no signs of any problem except for a test that only showed a problem existed and no more, which was a test where you look at a monitor and they watch the signals going from your optic nerve to the back of your brain.
  I've been married for about a year and recently my wife has come down with the the exact same symptoms of my problem.  Just like mine it started with the water feeling, then twitches.  Infact she is having headaches which is a symptom i had at first and forgotten.
  This sounds like a virus to me, but if it is, is a known virus? It seems to have very specific symptoms, and being contageous I would think it would surly be documented, but i have had no luck finding it.  My question is what could this be and what can we do, thanks for your help.

***@****
Dear Chris:

The symptoms that you describe do not fit a specific viral syndrome that I know.  Although I am sure that any neurologist would say that he/she has had many patients complain of similar symptoms.  Of lesser note, but not to me, is the fact that all your tests have been normal.  Actually, this is good in that the really worrisome diseases have likely been ruled out.  This doesn't solve your problem, which I am sorry about.  

The concerning thing to me is the decrease in evoked potentials when looking at your optic nerve.  Did your neurologist say anything about this abnormality?  Does your wife have the same problem?  I am unsure why you said that it no longer exits, as changes do not disappear so easily for optic demyelination or axonal loss that this test would pick up.  

I wish I could tell you that everything will get better because we have seen this particular disease before and the known outcome is always a complete recovery.  There are many things that we do not understand, one is viral syndromes that give neurological problems.  The really worrisome ones we know because of their signs and symptoms are characteristic.  However, many we are still clueless because the symptoms are so varied and non-specific.  I am sorry that I am not helping you.

CCF Neuro MD
Wow, Chris, I was amazed to read your post.  My syndrome began with the exact same sequence plus a few more!  I had the water droplet sensations on my legs and corner of left eye.  I also had mouth sores.  I had spleen and liver pains. My glands hurt - cervical, axillary, inginal.  A year later twitches began during a complicated migraine.  Then visual disturbances.  Throughout it all I felt fluey and not myself.  I still 5 years later, live with a low grade version of these symptoms.  I WISH SOMEONE WERE STUDYING THIS!!!!  WHAT VIRUS DO WE HAVE!!!!  COULD IT BE AN ENTEROVIRUS AS HAS BEEN RECENTLY IMPLICATED IN ALS!!!  WHERE ARE THE DOCTORS RESEARCHING POST-VIRAL SYNDROME!!!  PLEASE HELP US!!!

E-mail me if you want, Chris.  Maureen  ***@****
Calm down, Maureen! This sort of stress makes the twitching worse. There are deadly diseases that need research way before twitching does. I know my twitching is psychological as it eases when I stop thinking about it, with me its definite panic disorder.

What I did was I put twitches to the back of my mind and I got a life. Its the ultimate cure.
Chris, if you are doing so great why are YOU still cruising these forums. Have you really put them "at the back of your mind?" Have you really "gotten a life" if you are still reading CCF posts?  I DOUBT IT.   Furthermore, you have no idea what Hell I've been through over the last 5 years.  When I got sick I my kids were 6, 4 and 9 mos.  Do you know what it's like to feel sick EVERY DAY ALL DAY?  To have continuous fatigue and feel like you have the flu every single day?  To have burning pain and trigeminal neuralgia?  To have fasciculations, parasthesias, etc every waking moment?  Horrible stabbing headaches and visual disturbances.  Maybe yours is a panic disorder, but mine is not.  Mine is a virus or bacteria eating away at my system.  It's very hard to feel so terrible and not be able to get any answers.  So Please Chris, don't tell me to "relax."
I agree with Chris-you should relax.  Everyone seems to have the same type of symptoms, it is not for you to judge (nor is it a contest) who has it worse.  Nerves play a significant part in the whole process.  So relax and remember-don't stop living until your forced to!
Chris, sorry.  I meant to say Mark in my 2nd post.  I certainly am not engaging in any sort of contest with anyone regarding who has the "worst" symptoms or who has suffered the most.  I simply don't need a fellow patient diagnosing me with panic disorder.
Your a nutbar. Hope they make you a cozy little jacket with the nice straps in the back cause your a complete lunatic. Do the world a favour and leave the planet. We'll start a collection to ask NASA to put you on a one way shuttle mission to outer space, where you now reside mentally anyhow.
There are many new viruses emerging all of the time.  Many symptoms mimic ones of known diseases.  I have over the past few years been introduced to the healing properties of pure essential oils.  They have the ability to rid our bodies of viruses that infect us.  These oils are anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, anti-catarrhal, anti-depressents, anti-infectious, anti-parasitic, anti-rheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic,analgestic and immune stimulators.

If I had symptoms such as you all are describing, I would find someone who has worked with these oils and have them do a raindrop therapy along your spine, where viruses can harbor for years.  When we have trauma in our lives, our immune systems are compromised and such dormant viruses can suddendly take over in our bodies.

I do not know if I am allowed to mention product names, so I will leave my e-mail address for those who would like more information concerning oils and where to get them.  There are alternatives available. We just have to keep searching.
Debbie

***@****
I came back in here to look and see if there might be anything posted recently that could help my son, who has gone downhill something terrible since the last time I posted. I stopped because I was getting slammed by some awful people who cruise the web for information about those who are so terribly unfortunate, and breed on it.

Apparently, it's still happening. What an awful thing to say to this person. For shame, for shame.
You are so right. People come here because we are desparate and trying to find help - we certainly don't need to be put down by anyone else when we obviously aren't getting answers from our doctors.  I do hope Jonathon's health improves and I will keep him in my prayers.
I believe it was Shakespeare who said, "God befriend us, as our cause is just."  And it is.  I too, left this forum because of obvious reasons.  You were slammed hard... and for no obvious reason.  I also took a fair amount of abuse and finally gave up, but not without rallying to your side.  Now, it seems that Maureen has been slammed pretty hard for making a plea.  Whoever wrote that post doesn't know Maureen.  She's smart as a whip, can perform acupuncture and answer just about any question you have and do it in a very personal way.  I've had the opportunity to converse with her on-line and she's really a very positive person, given the circumstances.  She has been around the block a dozen times trying to find answers, with negative results.  As for the slammer?  NASA has a shuttle leaving tomorrow because he (or she) obviously doesn't know that the great hope of society is individual character.  Something of which... they lack.

Maureen?  Email me.  Sorry I haven't written, but I'm trying to decipher some ills of my own.

Jonathan's Mom?  I wish there was something I could do for Jonathan.  You've been on a very rough road and it seems that it just keeps getting rougher.  I can't help but think that his dilemna is Epstein/Barre related.  Like a real bad case of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  Email me if I don't email you first.

Take care everyone.  I hope we find some positive answers in the near future.  God knows we need some.

CJ
Those fortunate people who don't know what it's like to watch a loved one, or themself, suffer from a disease for which no one can find a cause or treatment have no business making ugly, mean-spirited and, needless to say, immature comments at the incredible frustration and even anger felt by those of us who are not so fortunate. My first child is dead and my only living child is still deteriorating. I can certainly understand the desperate nature of those who seek but cannot find. Maureen-you can e-mail me, too, if you need some additional support. CJ-I'll be in touch. God bless!  ***@****
Acupuncture?Wow!Do you need like a Master's Degree to start doing that.Boy, Hey Maureen  MUST be wrong.If she can stick needles in people she must be smart as a whip. Now hurry CJ and Maureen, the shuttle is on the launchpad.
Audacity.  Pure unadulterated audacity.  How fortunate for you that fortune favors the audacious.  You've just won a very fortunate prize.  A window seat, on a one-way ticket to hell.  How unfortunate for them that they should qualify for NASA and make the shuttle.  They'll get to see the heavens and will surely miss you because you're going to be going in the opposite direction.  And remember that fortune favors the audacious.  Isn't it wonderful that you've won a ticket to stay?
I only hope and pray that people who make these ugly comments are never visited by the "unknown diseases" for which some of us have become all too familiar. After all, if they were, where would they find help and understanding, let alone sympathy and prayers? These people are the essence of shame to mankind. And how sad for them to be so bitter and cruel.....
Fool.The only righteous things on the planet are dogs.I'm a German shepard and I can type. Just because we don't use the computer in front of you idiots doesn't mean we can't use the things.You can now all resume your whining and bitching.
I thought this forum was for answers from the doctor and support of other people who are suffering from simular ailments.  I didn't know it was to damn each other. How sad this world has become, when sometimes we just need someone to listen or someone to talk to or to cry on their shoulder.  Disease is a scary thing and unless you or someone you love has lived it keep your nasty comments to yourself.  WATCH WHAT YOU WISH FOR, YOU JUST MAY GET IT!!!!!
I don't know, but that ???? person seems to be on our side here.  Whoever did that punched the creeps eye out because the return didn't make much sense.  ???? I appreciated that.  The creep can't play hardball.  

Now, let's try and get back to the post viral stuff if it can be saved.

Yours,

CJ
There's only one ugly natured person here. ????? is right on the mark, and I thank him or her. Consider the mentality of someone who would prefer to show enough disrespect even to dogs as to portray themself as one.....it's sociopathic. And an insult to dogs.

?????? grabs the thesaurus, gives everyone a meaningless, garbled, laughable attempt at intellect and comes across as nothing more than a pathetic bore.Audacious ? That's a very impressive command of the english language shown there.Colour me impressed.Now stop your blathering and hop on that shuttle. You've proven your all worthy of a trip to the far reaches of outer space, courtesy of an obvious chemical imbalance.
Idiot!  The mind grows by what it feeds on!  In your case... dog chow!  A pathetic bore, eh?  So pathetic that it made you mad enough to show your intellect.  Woof!  I don't own a thesaurus because I don't need one.  I lost it somewhere while in the 9th grade.  Today... I hold a Masters.  And you?  You obviously are disobedient so... is it safe to assume that you never made it through Obedience School?  Bad dog!  Sit!!  Stay!!  Somebody get a rolled up newspaper and beat this person off the forum!!

Or better yet... take this dog to the pound!  It's crapping too much!  Nobody house-trained it!  It's a sociopathic canine, so gas it!!!!
I'm very curious about something. You don't identify yourself. You don't seem to have a medical problem, and certainly cannot add any wisdom or advice to people who are ill. Why are you lurking around this forum where sick people are looking for help? And why this topic in particular? What kind of expertise do you have to feel so sure that ill people have psychological problems? My goodness, you seem to have a very hard time even expressing yourself sensibly, let alone using proper grammar. I do believe you are a pot calling the kettles black. I would much rather have a dog here than someone like you who feeds on illness. Do you also hang around accident scenes? Please go away and leave these poor, intelligent, sick people alone.
I believe ????? has some sexual fetish or perversion towards bondage (or beastiality for that matter)based on the obviously disobedient comment as described above. Master's degree? Go look for that thesaursus you lost because your blathering is really old now.Bad dog ?Sit? How pathetic.
Skitzo.  A pathetic skitzo.  That's my evaluation.  This individual needs to visit a psychiatrist.  This person reads personal thoughts into something totally unrelated.  The post had nothing to do with those personal thoughts.  I feel sorry for this beast.  Enjoyment via harassment, deviousness and ridicule  lurks around in this persons mind from sun-up to sun-down.  It's a shame.

We all learned how to be a long time ago.  Manners were taught and we absorbed the meanings clear down to the individual common courtesies demonstrated in everyday life.  The conclusion is evident in the case of the disobedient canine with fillange' power.  It cannot function without stupidity as the ruling mannerism.  It is known fact... that these people clearly do not know they are being stupid.  No one taught them otherwise.

Reading sexual perversion, beastiality and bondage into that post is a fetish that clearly belongs to the one who thinks the thought.  We all can see that this stupid, idiotic and pathetic harasser belongs in a psyche ward somewhere.  He/she is not content.  Life has no meaning.  Words have no end... as they surely have been demonstrated tucked neatly beside the inability to comprehend that which has been mentioned.  The persons thoughts do not relate to the thought pattern of what has been said.

Sad.  So sad.  It's been... rather bleak.  Will someone else please write the obituary?  I can't stop.... lol lol lol!

The person is exactly like ??? stated.  No repeats are necessary here because what good would it do?  All sane people know that "sane gravity is vertical" and "insanity sways like a willow-back and forth, back and forth".  This joker has no peace of mind.  This joker pushes patience to the ends of the universe.   This person will have something to say about my statements just like all the other statements.  Mark Twain made a comment... "get your facts straight first, and then you can distort 'em as much as you please!"  This joker can't even do that.  I'd call it "misconstruieality".  This joker needs a padded cell.

Ciao,
CJ
You really shouldn't make comments about a thesaurus when you can't even spell it. Also, this forum is not the place for your perverse comments and sexual innuendos (and for your education, this word can be spelled either innuendos or innuendoes). I hope the moderator sees what you have done to this interesting post and kicks you out of here. You have been lurking around for quite awhile making fun of people and making sick comments about sick people. I agree with the person above who wants to know what you have to add, medically, to this post? Obviously nothing. Take your sexual identity problems to a porno chat room where you belong and leave these people alone. I'd be glad to write the obituary myself!
HI, i'm posting this message to CJ, i'm 18, and i read your first post on you and your wife. About 3 months ago I became really lightheaded for a week. After that i began to feel wet spots or burning sensations on my body , soetimes it jsut felt like it was raining.. this lead to pains in my joints that coem and go.. MY main problem is my loss of energy an d i have constant visual disturbances... I think what i have kinda goes aong the same lines as you... the neurologist believes its post-viral , i was just curious how you and your wife are dealing with your symptoms.

dianika_b***@****
A related discussion, difficulity thinking and remembering was started.