Neurology Community
Neurologist Doesn't know

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neurologist Doesn't know

I injured my neck (whiplash) while swimming.  I waited awhile before going to the doc. After about two months I went to the doc to complain about some uncomfortable feeling (not really pain) along my left spinal area to my left shoulder blade.  I then received a flu shot and planned on seeing a Neurologist the next week. two days later I noticed my left side of my face becoming numb/stiff neck all on left side.  then a couple of days later, I noticed a little tingling in my left foot.  Seen the neuro doc, had an MRI of the neck/spine, and the Brain--all came back normal.  Had blood work done, all came back normal.  I still have stiff neck, and the numbness on the left face comes and goes. It appears when my face is not numb,  the tip of my tongue tingles a little.  No headaches, no balance problems, no dizziness, eye sight normal.  Neuro doc says come back in three months, don't know what for.  Any idea what is causing this?  I mention the flu shot because I did not have numbness/tingling until a couple of days after the shot.  Thaks
Avatar n tn
Hi.

Unless you are allergic to eggs, it would be unlikely that your symptoms are related to the flu shot.

How long ago was the whiplash injury? Were there any symptoms of neck stiffness and facial numbness that occurred shortly after the injury? Are you a regular swimmer and do you still engage in swimming till now?

A whiplash injury would normally resolve in a few days to a weak but in some cases, the symptoms have been reported to persist for several months. It would not be uncommon for the whiplash injury to present as neck stiffness and facial numbness.

If you still swim till now, it could also possibly cause such symptoms especially in the setting of a previous and incompletely resolved whiplash injury.

The consult after three months was probably a suggestion for you to observe your symptoms for the moment and see if it would resolve or worsen. If you are not amenable to this, you could opt to get a second opinion from another neurologist.

In the meantime, you could try taking some muscle relaxants and rest your neck to ease some of the stiffness.

Hope this helps.