Neurology Community
Neuropathy or MS?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neuropathy or MS?

Hello, I am a 37 year old female mom of  2. I have been having symptoms of neuropathy, tingling hands and feet, burning feet, odd hand sensations. I also have been having signs of ms, trouble concentrating, brain fog, horrible fatigue (feels like the flu) and I have had heaviness of legs. I definately have periodic limb movement disorder ( I kick my husband nightly). I also have twitches in my muscles, sciatica and leg jerks when trying to relax I have sharp pain once in a while in my ear and my upper teeth jaw area. My symptoms seem to come and go like a pattern. I have noticed that when its time for my menstral cycle everything acts up. I have had numb lips and numb spots on my face come and go. Double vision a couple times.. My father and my grandfather both have neuropathy but my dad and grandfather had it in feet only. I have problems with hands and feet as far as tingling and burning goes. My question is can hereditary neuropathy carry over to ms in a female? I am confused because these symptoms come and go and make me feel like I'm losing my mind! I do not have insurance so I have to apply for help for testing. In the meantime I can't stand not knowing. I am keeping a journal of all symptoms.
Many of your symptoms can be attributed to many other things, including ( but not limited to ) anxiety, ( most of these symptoms can be anxiety related ) restless leg syndrome, ( the feelings in legs/kicking at night) sinus infection, ( ear/tooth/jaw pains ) and of course PMS...many of the symptoms.

There is also the possibility that it is a neuro problem.
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, is the most common of the 4 major sub-categories of hereditary type neuropathy.

You didn't specify which one (s) your father and grand-father have.
You could inherit a problem similar to theirs, and it could be worse or not as bad as the one (s) they have. By this, I mean the symptoms being worse or better.

A journal is a very good idea.  Try making columns...date and time of symptom acting up, activity you were doing, food and drink you had that day, etc.
It IS quite possible that you are having allergic or sensitivity issues to something, so the more they know the better.

Showing the above categories in your journal will show them if it's stress/physical activity related as well.
And don't forget to include footnotes...such as " worse the night before period"...that type of thing.

Keep me posted, and let me know if you need help with anything.

Thank you for the reply. My father has idiopathic sensory and motor neuropathy with bells palsy. I dont know on my grandfather because he passed away when I was 5 so the only info I have is what my dad tells me.
Hi.I have nearly all off these symptoms for the past 7 years in flare ups which last from a few days to weeks. My b12 was low and that stopped the tingling but still have flare ups from time to time.disk disease of the neck or spine can also cause alot of these symptoms.I still wonder if i have ms or some deadly disease which is the scary part for most off us or we wouldn't be here. I figure after 7 years it musn't be but stull it brings me down sometimes. I wish you all the best.
Your symptoms, including the fact that they come and go and get worse with your hormone cycle, sound like Lyme Disease.  Without insurance, it can be quite expensive to treat, but there are various natural treatments you can use to keep it in check until you do get coverage.

Check out the symptom list in this document.
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf
Have you ever been checked out for Lyme Disease?