Neurology Community
Neurostimulator Question

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neurostimulator Question

In 1995 I had a herniated disk at L5/S1 and had surgery to remove the herniation. All was good until 2000 when the pain in my foot and a wadded up sock feeling in the ball of my foot started again. Since that time I have been having pain in my lower back, hip, thigh, calf and foot. I have tried various meds and the only thing that has given relief is vicodin, I have been taking (3) 5/500 per day for the past 8 yrs. I have also tried PT, traction, epidural cortisone shots, acupuncture, massage therapy, hydrotherapy. The later three give temporary relief but nothing long lasting. If I watch what I do my pain level is between 0 and 3, that is if I do nothing. If I am active the pain can be between 3 and 8 but may be time delayed by 12 to 24 hours.

My Neurosurgeon wants me to consider a neurostimulator and I am looking for input for anyone that has one or has dealt with them. I am leery about having anything implanted on a permanent basis, but if there is a good chance on getting pain relief and enjoying life it may be worth it.
Hello VicUser,
Pharmacological treatment is frequently unsuccessful particularly if delayed and while surgery is successful in approximately 73% of cases, it can result in problematic paresthesias, and pain may continue to persist in some patients. Thus, minimally invasive techniques, such as peripheral nerve stimulation, may be viable in those patients who are refractory to pharmacological management, as an option to surgery, and who have not gained satisfactory pain relief through surgical intervention.  Neurostimulation has  potential benefits including durable effective pain relief and decreased use of medication.You should consult your surgeon regarding the peripheral nerve stimulation as it is noninvasive and effective.
Reference http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119422366/abstract
Best
I had neurostimulator implanted March 3, 2009.  They are still working on the programming of it to no avail.  I get stimulation in my legs, stomach and ribs - nothing at all in my back - L5/S1.  Am on the third therapist/programmer and he is now telling me it is not going to work due to improper lead placement.  Leads aren't where they should be.  And due to the battery implanted, I can no longer use my TENS unit which gave me more relief than this implant does.  Also, I am now on stronger pain med and stronger muscle relaxer .  I wish I had never had this implanted.  Good luck with yours - hope it works better for you