Newly dx with 1cm syrinx... next steps?
Hi! I am a 27yo female with the following symptoms: Pain, numbness, and tingling down legs and arms, bottoms of feet, tips of fingers, shoulders; Bladder issues; Migraines; Vertigo/Tinnitus; Morning nausea/vomiting; Difficulty walking; Involuntary muscle jerks (mainly in hands/feet; sometimes lasting 2 days); Bouts of distorted vision; Sensitivity to temperatures.
I have been feeling a combo of these symptoms for about two years now, but chalked it all up to a back trauma I experienced doing gymnastics (I was told at age 14 that I had Spondylolisthesis) and figured I has a pinched nerve. I then started to have bladder issues and thought I would see a doctor. I was told that it was stress and put on effexor- I only saw an increase in my symptoms. After the doctor suggested I up my dosage, I decided to go see someone else. This time I felt like I made progress- she said it sounded very much like MS or Lyme and told me to see a neurologist. I found a reputable neurologist near DC and she ordered some tests (MRI's w and w/o contrast, EEG, EMG, VEP). She said that I have a stage 3 herniated disc with severe spinal stenosis of the lumbar region but she sees no signs of nerve damage; She also says I have a 1cm syrinx (C7-T1). She suggested I see a neuro-urologist for my bladder and gave me a different migraine medication to try (as NOTHING seems to help them). I asked her about my symptoms being related to the syrinx, and she says she is not that concerned about it and will see me in 3 months. I was hoping for her to talk to me about possible treatment, but basically said there is nothing. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that it is not MS, but from everywhere I am reading, a 1cm syrinx is not something to blow off if symptoms are present. Not to mention the painful/odd sensations I feel on a daily basis are driving me nuts! I am getting a second opinion, but wanted to see if anyone is in a similar situation and what are realistic options for treatment/pain management?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include neuro-muscular causes such as nerve impingement, neuropathies, myopathies, neuro-degenerative conditions, micronutrient deficiencies, heavy metal poisoning, hormonal/ endocrine abnormalities, medication/ drug side effect etc. Since primary neurological tests have not shown abnormality related to the symptoms, I would suggest considering an evaluation by an internist to look for other possibilities before considering a second opinion from another neurologist. If a cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!