Aa
A
A
Close
Newly dx with 1cm syrinx... next steps?
Hi! I am a 27yo female with the following symptoms: Pain, numbness, and tingling down legs and arms, bottoms of feet, tips of fingers, shoulders; Bladder issues; Migraines; Vertigo/Tinnitus; Morning nausea/vomiting; Difficulty walking; Involuntary muscle jerks (mainly in hands/feet; sometimes lasting 2 days); Bouts of distorted vision; Sensitivity to temperatures.
I have been feeling a combo of these symptoms for about two years now, but chalked it all up to a back trauma I experienced doing gymnastics (I was told at age 14 that I had Spondylolisthesis) and figured I has a pinched nerve. I then started to have bladder issues and thought I would see a doctor. I was told that it was stress and put on effexor- I only saw an increase in my symptoms. After the doctor suggested I up my dosage, I decided to go see someone else. This time I felt like I made progress- she said it sounded very much like MS or Lyme and told me to see a neurologist. I found a reputable neurologist near DC and she ordered some tests (MRI's w and w/o contrast, EEG, EMG, VEP). She said that I have a stage 3 herniated disc with severe spinal stenosis of the lumbar region but she sees no signs of nerve damage; She also says I have a 1cm syrinx (C7-T1). She suggested I see a neuro-urologist for my bladder and gave me a different migraine medication to try (as NOTHING seems to help them). I asked her about my symptoms being related to the syrinx, and she says she is not that concerned about it and will see me in 3 months. I was hoping for her to talk to me about possible treatment, but basically said there is nothing. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that it is not MS, but from everywhere I am reading, a 1cm syrinx is not something to blow off if symptoms are present. Not to mention the painful/odd sensations I feel on a daily basis are driving me nuts! I am getting a second opinion, but wanted to see if anyone is in a similar situation and what are realistic options for treatment/pain management?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include neuro-muscular causes such as nerve impingement, neuropathies, myopathies, neuro-degenerative conditions, micronutrient deficiencies, heavy metal poisoning, hormonal/ endocrine abnormalities, medication/ drug side effect etc. Since primary neurological tests have not shown abnormality related to the symptoms, I would suggest considering an evaluation by an internist to look for other possibilities before considering a second opinion from another neurologist. If a cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources