Neurology Community
No cause for trigeminal neuralgia with swelling of face and lymph in ne...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

No cause for trigeminal neuralgia with swelling of face and lymph in neck on one side?

I've been having these symptoms for about 7 months- pain on one side of face from cheek/jaw area to my ear and down into neck.  I had tooth pulled pain didn't go away, went back to dentist, nothing found.  Been to regular doctor several times, first for throat infection with fever and antibiotics had little effect. Pain not cured by pain killers. Lymph in neck is swollen and does not go away.  Face started to swell.  Then large lumps under arm began, antibiotics did not work and had allergic reaction.  Regular doc referred me to a neurologist who diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia and prescribed anti-seizure and anti-depressant.  Had MRI and EEG.  Tests showed nothing.  So now I am not sure what to do, I am 23 and can't live the rest of my life like this. The pain wakes me up at night and I have very bad head aches.  What is the next step to take?  Any similar stories?    
Trigeminal Neuralgia is usually diagnosed after ruling out all other possibilities and listening to the patient's symptoms.  Usually it's described as an intermittent electric type shock or jabs.  It does manifest as a "toothache" like pain also and lots of people have unnecessary dental work because of that.

You describe waking up at night from pain and bad head aches.  That sounds a bit different, although it just may be another "flavor" of TN or TN-related disease or it might not be TN at all.

I would suggest you find a Facial Pain Specialist at a large teaching hospital.  These doctors deal with Facial Pain patients on a daily basis and, in my personal experience, were more helpful than my neurologist, internist, ENT, dentist, and orthodontist.

You need to confirm the diagnosis and then you can explore your options.  If it IS TN, the anti-seizure meds should be controlling the pain.  Have they increased your dosage up slowly?  The MRI should be a "thin-slice" MRI (also called Trigeminal Neuralgia Prototcol) to look for a blood vessel/vein pressing on your TN nerve.  

Hi, Thank you for your question. Trigeminal neuralgia as you have typical one sided facial pain extending to temple and eye( ophthalmic branch of trigeminal nerve may be involved) and sore gums of the teeth of same side (maxillary branch of 5th nerve). Trigeminal neuralgia may have a triggering factor like recent history of tooth extraction, touch, cold breeze or hot sensation etc. which you need to evaluate and avoid. Drug of choice for trigeminal neuralgia is carbamazepine but as the dose may vary according to severity therefore I would advice an oral medicine specialist consultation or at least a physician to confirm this diagnosis and get you treated accordingly. Take care.