Neurology Expert Forum
Non Compressive Mylopathy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Non Compressive Mylopathy

From   :  V.K.Grover
E Mail:  grover_vk***@****    

I am a 50yr old male, at the age of 29yrs on 13 November 1979 at 5.00 am I noted abrupt weakness in both upper extremities that was shortly followed by weakness in all the four extremities.
At All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, it was diagnosed as non-compressive mylopathy. Mylogram was done and it showed normal results. Since then I have consulted several neurologists and have had three M.R.I Scans.
At present I am on Lioresal tablets (baclofen tablets USP), this tablet was initiated in Aug
Related Discussions
Dear VK Grover:

I am sorry to hear about your disease process.  The baclofen is given to help you with the spasticity or extreme stiffness in your muscles due to your illness.  It is not to make your muscles stronger or correct your balance problems.  When it reduces the spasticity, it may actually expose the muscle weakness and increase imbalance due to the now evident muscle weakness.  Spasticity to some degree can often help the patient have some balance and movement that otherwise would not be possible.  Often we try and balance the spasticity with what the patient can do movement-wise, such as walking.  However, if your disease is progressing, then there might be something else occurring that needs to be investigated.  Sound like your upper motor problem might be worsening, but only your neurologist can tell for sure.  I would speak with him/her concerning your new symptoms.  There are other medications for spasticity, such as alpha blockers and benzodiazepines but your physician should be able to decide whether you might benefit from these medications or not.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, hiv myolpathy was started.
Blank
A related discussion, neuorapathy was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank