Neurology Community
Nosebleed hours after head bump

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nosebleed hours after head bump

Hello. My 6-yr old daughter fell and bumped her head this morning, i dont how hard it was, she fell from about 3 feet but it only left a small and not swelling lump. she did not fall unconscious or show other signs of concussion. but this night while taking a bath, her nose bled. it stopped, but happened again while on her sleep. What should we do?
Take her to the emergency hospital right now and get a CT scan right away.  I had some nose bleed after my Head injury.  When it comes to head injury it is tricky to find out.  Mine was found out only after 3 days.
Thanks for responding. We did visit her Doctor, but not the Emergency. The Doctor asked if she showed other symptoms, especially vomiting, within 24 hours, which she did not, so he said she was fine.The Doctor added that her nose was probably also hit when she fell which is why it bled.  I would like to know how hard your head was hit. My daughter's fall didnt really seem to hard as it did not leave a noticeable lump or bruise on hear head. And how exactly find out about your head injury after 3 days?
I was taken to the ER immediately after the injury.  I remember nothing on that time period (8 hours).  They discharged me after 8 hours and I wake up with dizziness, headache, fatigue etc., but the ER doctor said I am ok.  There are no visible injuries on my head and even I can't find anything on my scalp or anything next day.  Not even a bruise.

I felt terrible for the next 3 days and had some bleeding from nose which stopped after the first day.  I went to my doctor and she looked at my ear and ordered a CT scan immediately and found the bleeding on my brain.  Head injuries are very complicated.   Your daughter's injury is probably nothing to worry about as long as she doesn't show any symptom.  But bleeding is something not to be ignored.  If you want peace of mind have an MRI done.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. I suggest you get her investigated by a neurologist in details. Though history is insignificant since there was no loss of consciousness, headaches, nausea and vomiting, seizures etc but nasal bleeds need an MRI brain to rule out any hematoma or intracerebral bleed, secondary head injury. Consult a neurosurgeon immediately in an emergency centre for quick evaluation. Local nose examination is also required to exclude local trauma. Hope this helps. Take care.
Your injury was pretty serious, and your bleeding from the nose is just one of the many symptoms that you had. My daughter, she just cried a little, got up, played and acted perfectly normal and active, and has been until now, already 80+ hours since the incident.
Thanks Dr. ,(and SamPCS, I forgot to mention this to you.) Last night she complained of pain in the ear so we sent her back to the hospital, a different one, not where we sent her for the nosebleeds (so at least, a second opinion). The Doctor examined her nose and ears and found an ear infection, she even showed me the bulging ear drum. I asked if a CT Scan was needed and she only suggested an X Ray, taking into consideration the risks, mentioned radiation, etc. , and the lack of symptoms that would call for a CT Scan. They found nothing in the X Ray. The Doctor said the nosebleed was normal, or a common one that happens once in a while to children. The ear infection, she already had this when she was 3 and again when she was 5. This time, the Doctor said it was from her colds. I asked are we sure it was just colds and not blood waiting to come out when the eardrum bursts, and she answered symptoms would have already shown if it was blood. Also, I asked if it was possible the brain could be shaken and bruised even if there was no fracture, the Doctor answered the same thing - symptoms should have already shown.
I would like to thank you for your suggestions but I confess, I am afraid to visit this forum for updates because each time I do, I am loosing some piece of mind which I am just starting to gain. I think I'm already paranoid. Well, its almost 4 days now since the incident and my daughter is fine, as active as ever, she did not show any symptom at any time except for two nosebleeds and an ear pain last night which was gone by morning even before we went to the Doctor and took antibiotic. It was 2 different Doctors saying my child is perfectly OK like they were very, very sure... and that a CT Scan or MRI is not necessary. I would greatly appreciate if you could give your professional opinion on this. And I'm crossing my fingers it would give me some much needed piece of mind...