Neurology Community
Numb Chin

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numb Chin

About a month ago, i was in an accident.  My upper lip just below the nose was severely lacerated and my chin had some minor scrapes.  My nose was slightly broken, but was not dislocated.  I chipped a front tooth and broke a tooth in the back.  My upper lip was tender but also somewhat numb for a bit, but the feeling is coming back.  I still find I have difficulties with some words and have to concentrate to speak those words clearly.  The letter "F" appears to be a little more difficult to pronounce.  This all appears to be getting somewhat better; however, since the accident, my chin has been numb and does not feel like it has regained any feeling.  It  feels like there is a lump in my chin, but x-rays did not show that anything was broken and if I hold the lump, I can move it around on my chin.  The worse injury appeared to be on my upper lip, but that is getting better.  Is there an explanation for why my chin is still not getting better?  Is there possible permanent nerve damage to the chin area?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You had multiple neurological symptoms from the facial trauma. The chin numbness that has persisted could be due to injury to branch of nerve supplying mentalis. The recovery could have been incomplete or patchy. Your neurologist could proceed by examining the nerve in question with a nerve conduction velocity study. neuropraxia is reversible and function may recover in sometime. The doctor needs to rule out multiple sclerosis also if symptoms persist. Hope this helps. Take care.

Thank you for the information. Since I posted the comment, a very little bit of the feeling has come back in my chin.  It is still pretty numb, but at least there is a little bit of progress.  I saw my doctor the other day.  Although 2 months have passed he indicated that it may take a year or so for us to know what the permanent damage is going to be.  Thank you again for the information.  I will hold on to the hope that it is reversible and function may recover.