Neurology Expert Forum
Numb Tongue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numb Tongue

Over the last few weeks my tongue has felt numb from half way back in my mouth to the tip.  Some days are more noticable than others.  What could be causing this to happen?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Numbness in the tongue is not a common symptom but could have several causes. I am not sure what you mean exactly by numbness, by that some people mean loss of sensation, others mean tingling etc. There is a syndrome called burning mouth syndrome, in which the mouth burns, but sometimes it could just be tongue tingling and loss of sensation. Causes can include viral infections (like a common cold), dental procedures, allergies, medications. The anterior tongue is supplied by the nerve called the facial nerve, other parts of the tongue are supplied by other nerves. A problem in one of these nerves could also lead to tongue numbness, though you would expect other abnormalities such as face weakness to be present.

Discussion of your symptoms with your primary doctor/family physician is recommended with referral to a neurologist as indicated.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.