Neurology Expert Forum
Numb fingers, tingly sensation to elbow and lumps.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am not too sure what category this would fit under, but my father has had a sensation of numbness in his left hand on his pinky and ring finger, then this morning he woke up with a tingly sensation that shoots down to his elbow and he has 2 strange, rather hard lumpy feeling balls near the midway point of his arm. ANyone have any idea what this might be? I have been searching online but haven't been able to find anything.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from your father or examine him, I am unable to provide him with a diagnosis. However, one thing that comes to mind when I  hear of numbness in the pinky and ring finger is a condition called "Ulnar Neuropathy".

The ulnar nerve is a nerve that is formed in the arm and supplies innervation (it sends nerve fibers) to the muscles and skin (for sensation) to the pinky finger, ring finger, and the whole inner side of the forearm and hand, in addition to some other muscles. The cause of this problem is in general called a "compression neuropathy", something causing pressure on the nerve and leading to these symptoms. One place this nerve can have pressure placed on it is at the elbow (the area where it hurts when you hit your "funny bone".

I am not sure what the lumps are that you are feeling in his arm, but perhaps they are the source of pressure on the nerve.

For your hand/arm symptoms, you may benefit from seeing a neurologist in order to evaluate you and possibly order some testing. your family physician may be able to evaluate the lumps on your arm and determine who would be best to see for them.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, lump was started.