Neurology Community
Numb/tingling/vibrating in fingertips

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numb/tingling/vibrating in fingertips

Good evening. :) First, thanks so much for offering this service! It looks like a wonderful community to be a part of.

Now, here's the trouble... My fingertips are driving me crazy!!! I've had a weird feeling in the ones on my left hand for about 3 weeks. It's not exactly numb, not exactly tingling... more like vibrating, I guess. Basically, it feels like when you spend too long using an electric sander. The worst, by far, is my middle finger, and if I had to rate it, the ring finger would come in second and the index finger third. There's no accompanying numbness in my thumb, and changing positions does nothing to alleviate the discomfort. It's not worse at a particular time of day or night; between that and the no-position-helps thing, I don't think it's carpal tunnel. I've also been wearing a wrist brace at night and when I'm on the computer or doing anything else strenuous for the past week or so to see if that would help, but to no avail.
Other (most likely unrelated, but you never know, so I'll throw them out there) symptoms are: nerve pain on and off in the backs of both hips (like where they would connect to the spine), sometimes spreading to the front or sides and down the thighs--this is a pretty much daily pain, in varying degrees, for a few years; sudden fatigue and much easier bruising than normal (again, over the past 3 weeks-ish--I attributed it to doing more strenuous work than usual, renovating a bedroom, but that's been finished for two weeks and the bruising is just as frequent; more headaches than usual (not migraine-like, I wouldn't say, mostly a nuisance)... I guess that's about it.
In addition to the wrist brace, I've been trying to eat more fruits, vegetables, and iron-rich foods in case it's a nutritional deficit. It's probably nothing to even worry about, but it's been going on long enough to really feel bothersome, and I worry because I have no medical insurance.
Any ideas--what it might be, what else I can try to get it to go away, or anything really?
Thanks for reading, have a good day!
Forgot to add: I also have wicked itching off and on over the numb fingers--no swelling or anything, just mad itching--and a hypersensitive patch on my left calf that's driving me up the wall. Again, no swelling, and no visible rash or anything, it just feels like a huge scrape whenever I touch it or my pant leg brushes against it. My husband says I've also been incredibly forgetful and not speaking well and just off-kilter for the past 3 or 4 months or so.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Some of the causes of the symptoms mentioned by you are- Acquired aplastic anemia, Acute megacaryoblastic leukemia,  Acute myeloid leukemia, Acute myelocytic leukemia, Eclampsia, Bone marrow failure syndromes, Hermann syndrome, Human T- lymphotropic virus type 3, Sackey- sakati – aur syndrome. There may be many other cause. Please consult a physician for a thorough examination and investigations to know the diagnosis and take treatment thereafter. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

I recently woke up with the tip of my index finger numb.  Should I be concerned?  What could the cause of this be?  Thank you.
From what I've been reading, it's not uncommon at all for that to happen upon waking. If it doesn't go away over the course of the day, you may have cause for concern, but if it's just in the morning I'd guess you just slept on it funny. Incidentally, my fingertips have been numb/weird (see my post above) for over a month now and I haven't died yet, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. ;)
I know you wrote the above in 2009 it's now 2013, I can't believe these questions never get answered, but how did you go finding an answer for your fingers?
Don't know if you work with tools maybe? The hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS) causes changes in sensory perception which can lead to permanent numbness or vibration sensation in fingers, muscle weakness and, in some cases, bouts of white finger. It is caused by working with vibrating tools. It would be unusual for you to develop hand-arm vibration syndrome unless you had used vibrating tools for at least ten years. From Patient.info
I had the strangest experience yesterday... My fingers started vibrating heavily. So much that you could HEAR it when I held them near my face! But it was only when touching skin, if I touched clothing nothing happened, but when I touched skin again it was buzzing like crazy! I touched my wife's face with my finger tips and she jerked back from the vibration sensation. She could also hear the buzzing/vibrating, so it was not just an internal experience. Happened a few times yesterday, when touching my wife and also my son. Was not just my fingertips though, because when my son touched my head, and face the vibrating was there too, also so lound you could hear it. I basically never work with tools (much to my wife's frustration). And no, I was not holding my phone or anything. Now its gone. What. the. heck.