Neurology Community
Numbness, Shooting Pain & Hypersensitivity to touch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi! Last year when I was pregnant I had a period of a few months where my left arm felt slightly numb and was Extremely sensitive to touch. It hurt badly enough for me to yell out when someone or something touched my left arm. Eventually it went away. I had just chalked it up to my daughter resting on a nerve.  After she was born I began experiencing a numbness in my right leg and foot. For a while it felt like I was standing in the snow all the time and could never make it warm. Then it moved to my left leg. I started to see my chiropractor and also went to a regular doctor to have some blood tests run like diabetes and thyroid.  When my chiropractor had adjusted me several times the numbness in my feet mostly went away. A week or so later it was back. It is not almost regularly in my right foot and sometimes extends up the calf.  My left leg is usually ok.  Then during all of this I started to have these episodes where I'd wake up one morning and my neck would be feeling a little stiff and my whole body ached. Not a normal ache, but the majority of my body would be extremely sensitive t o touch. I could touch a door knob or a spoon or just about anything remotely cool to the touch and it would send a shooting pain that would almost make me cry. When I wasnt touching anything I was still achy, but not as bad. Randomly during one of these spells I would get a sharp shooting pain in my right hand, that was extremely painful.  This time, the episode has added a new symptom. In addition to my right side being hypersensitive to touch, my left side has a sensation of heat. When anything on my left side touches something, that part of my body almost feels like its on fire, or resting on a heater.  It's not as painful as the hypersensitivity on the right side, but its weird all the same.  I havent been all too worried about it because I figured it was just a pinched nerve. The spells last about a couple to a few days, sometimes a little longer. Usually I would try to get in a chiropractic adjustment, and it seemed as though that would help speed up the duration of the spell. Also, another symotom I have that may or may not be connected is that when I bend my head down, like chin to my neck, I get this strange tingling sensation through my arms and down my back. I figure that is some kind of pinched nerve, but it seems no amount of chiropractic adjustments have helped it. I havent really been to a doctor about this yet because 1. I do not have health insurance and cannot afford it.  And 2. I feel like I am a little crazy to be having such bizarre symptoms! I'm only 25 years old and I feel like I am falling apart like an 80 year old.  I've looked up some of the symptoms and I've come up with things like Fibromyalgia and Peripheral Neuropathy....I'm not sure if I should just chalk it up to this is what I have to deal with and it's probably a pinched or damaged nerve from something that does not seem to be able to be repaired...or if it sounds like it is something far worse. I'd love to hear any thoughts anyone has or if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms!  Thank you!