Neurology Community
Numbness, itchy, cold, burning leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness, itchy, cold, burning leg

For 4 months, I have suffered from a numb, itchy, and cold/burning right upper leg. It is also sensitive to the touch and I sometimes get stabbing pains in the same area. In June it started as a quarter size area...now it has increased to my whole front leg. I do have an appt. for an MRI next week, but am very curious about this until I get a final diagnosis. The doctor I chose to go to did not offer much info...he thinks I may have a damaged nerve in my back. He also told me during my exam that I have 'brisk reflexes' and had asked me if I had always had 'brisk reflexes'. He seemed very concerned about this condition. I also have fatigue and always a feeling of muscle aches and sometimes confusion. Please...anyone that has suffered from this condition, please respond....I am very concerned about this and would appreciate any info from anyone!
I HAVE VERY SIMILAIR PROBLEM IN MY LEFT FOOT, ONLY AFFECTS THE ARES RIGHT AROUND MY SMALL TO, WAS VERY ITCHY AND IT DROVE ME CRAZY BUT AT THE SAME TIME IT FELT NUMB, THE ITCH HAS GONE BUT NOT THE NUMB FEELING. i DID NOT SEE A DR FOR THIS BUT FEEL IT IS A SYMPTOM OF AN UNDIAGNOSED CONDITION THAT I HAVE. FOR MANY YEARS i BELIEVED i HAD MS, I HAD SO MANY TESTS, BLOODWORK, BRAIN SCAN, MRI, NERVE CONDUCTION TESTS, SPINAL TAP, XRAYS, CT SCANS, ALL COME BACK NORMAL, i GIVE UP BUT WHEN i START HAVING A FLAIR UP i START WORRYING AGAIN. i HOPE YOU CAN FIND AN ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM. iF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN READING ANY OF MY EARLIER POSTS i STARTED WRITTING AROUND LAST FEB, MARCH AND APRIL.YOU CAN FIND THEM IN THE ARCHIVES, SOMEWHERE THERE I LISTED ALL MY SYMPTOMS
Ho Jeannie!!!
Thanks for your info.....sounds like you have had your share of health issues as well. I am sure it is aggravating to have so many tests done and not have a diagnosis. It helps to know someone understands. I have had 1 doctor, 1 pa, and 1 physical therapist all tell me I have them a little stumped. I hope you find out what your condition is involving your foot....I will keep referring to this, so you can let me know if you ever get a final diagnosis. Thanks again!!!
I too have the same problem with my right upper thigh.  Numbness and burning and itchy. It started out the size of a quarter just above my knee cap during my last pregnancy.  Docs said it would go away after I delivered because most likely a nerve was being pressed on...Needless to say it did not go away, and has only been progressivley getting worse. It now starts just above the knee cap and covers almost the whole upper thigh in front...no numbness or anything on the back of my leg.  While the leg is numb, it still gets itcy and it is very irritating to scratch it. If I stand or walk for too long, the burning sensation comes into play, and I have to sit down, because it also hurts my lower back, makes my back feel like it will break if I don't sit down. This has been going on for 23 years! And not one doctor can tell me what is wrong...I've been sent for many, many tests, including the nerve test where they stick needles in your leg...now they are telling me that it is probably due to weight and that it won't go away, I'll just have to live with it.  This pain really ruins outings, as I always have to sit and rest for a while so I can punch the leg & massage it to try to get some feeling in it, even if the feeling only deep down, not on the skin. When we go places I sometimes just want a wheel chair because it is just too painful to walk. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but at least you know you are not alone....I sure hope someone reading this has had it and found a cure for it..
Thanks for responding....I cannot believe I finally found someone w/ the same symptoms in the same area....finally someone understands! So the dr said it is probably a pinched nerve? That's what a friend of mine says it is....did you ever have an MRI? And the dr said you will have to live w/ it? That is not positive...I can't imagine anyone having to live w/ this....there have been times I have been ready to saw my leg off! For the last 2 days, it has not been bad....last week there was 1 day I thought it was going to explode! Right now, I am not sure rather to have the MRI...I may try other alternatives....but whatever I find out, I will be sure to let you know so maybe I can be of some help to you. I am sorry it has been 23 yrs of suffering for you....I just cannot imagine putting up w/ that for that amount of time! Thanks so much for your input....I will let you know if I can come up w/ a fix for it...someone I hope will respond to us that can offer, if not a cure, some good relief! Thanks again!
Never had an MRI done, just the test that sticks needles in your leg to determine where the damaged nerve is...Since it was not the Sciatic nerve, which I think is what they were looking to find, they are deducting that it is a pinched nerve in the pelvic area.  My regualar doc said there is a surgery for this, usually people just live with it....All I know is that the pain gets so incredible, I feel like taking to a wheelchair whenever we go anywhere that involves walking or standing for any length of time.  Like cooking Thanksgiving dinner...I'll put a barstool in the kitchen so I can lift my right leg up on it to get some relief.  I too hope someone knows what this is.  The neurologist that is going to perform my surgery on my neck asked me if I knew what it was or if anyone had diagnosed it.  I told him that no one had diagnosed it for 23 years, he looked at me in disbelief...he just can't believe that no one has done anything to find the exact cause...I'm hoping that after we get my neck fixed he'll look into a cure for my leg pain.
I am SO glad to find this place.  I have your exact same symptoms and I haven't gone to the doctor yet.  It started out almost 2 years ago, with this strange itching on my left thigh above the knee.  I would scratch it like crazy...but it kept itching.  Then it slowly evolved into me having this numb spot where I had been scratching.  It started out small...and it has expanded up the front of my thigh.  It makes me crazy when I rub up against a chair or table and notice that I don't FEEL the edge.  I run my hand over the area and it is numb on the surface.  Now, I do notice that when I have to stand for a while or walk...the area hurts and I get a burning pain deeper down in the thigh.  I don't have a clue...but if you get feedback, would you please let us know?  I'm planning on making an appointment soon because it is starting to cause discomfort when I walk.  Thanks and good luck!  Kathy
I too have been suffering with this pain for almost a year. Mine is  in my right leg right above my knee on the outer part of the thigh. I cannot feel the surface. This came on Oct. 05 and I suffered through a painful winter. However I noticed that when the climate changed, so did the symptoms. During the summer months I would not get the sharp, burning pain that I got during the winter time. Now that winter is in full effect I am feeling the pain once again. I am comforted to know that there are others out there who are having this same issue. I am making an appt. for this week as I cannot handle this much longer.

I do have one question, I am overweight, is everyone else?

Thanks and please feel free to email me
***@****

Levi
i have a similar problem in both legs, right leg has all but gone away.  my left leg on the other hand seems to be getting worse.  i am also suffering from numbness, tingling, burning, coldness, and severe pain including stabbing and nagging. all this started about a month ago when my blood-oxygen got below 14%, due to an accedental overdose to methedone.  i had two prescriptions of 5mg and one of 10mg.  the whole before i went into the hospital, i was taking 10mg thinking they were 5mg. i must have lost control because every one of the 10mg were gone.  anyway, while i was in the hospital, the doctor had mentioned a slight renial failure, and that some muscle deterioration had occured due to my low oxygen level.  i have looked at many articles with no luck.  lucky to be alive.
I believe I may be in the same family with you guys.  Tell me if you can relate - for years off and on.....I get this piercing sharp pain in the upper thigh area kind of where the thigh begins and the pubic area ends...I will feel it possibly one time, or maybe a few stabs in a row - then it's Gone.  It hurts so terribly bad and it's been maybe two years.  I don't have health insurance I'm at a new joy that does not include insurance - and believe it or not I was DENIED from purchasing Health Insurance by Blue Cross Blue Shield because I'm on medication for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (couldn't be related - this is a recent diagnosis) and they said I was too much of a risk.  Isn't that wonderful?  I am not overweight. If anyone knows any type of home or herbal remedy - I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
I was so happy to see I am not alone. My numb spot started above my right knee, off a little to the side about a year ago. I thought it was due to a cut I got on that knee when I was 5yrs old and I had to have quite a few stiches and a cast for 6 weeks. Now it is on the side all the way up, it burns, hurts to touch softly, yet feels ok to really rub. The shooting stabbing pains are the worst. I just started doing Jazzercise when the area increased, and my husband thinks it is because I am finally exercising. (yes overweight) Everyone says go to the doctor, but I know he will think I am kookoo. To only have a part of 1 leg feel numb, yet it burns and has pain sounds a little weird doesn't it? I have never had a back injury, but I do have terrible arthritis in my lower back, legs, arms. Any information is so appreciated.
Ahhh finally people with the same symptoms as me.  I got a numb spot (most of the time) above my right knee along my thigh.  It doesnt feel any pain but I can feel pressure.  Everyonce in a while though it feels like its trying to "wake up" and I have a mad buring or itching feeling, which just causes me to scratch it like crazy.  Not really anything I cant live with, but its damn annoying ;-)  Has anyone figured out anything that fixes this, (besides surgery??) and as for the previous responses no I am not overweight, and I first noticed it while running sprints in wrestling practice 10 years ago.  Does anyone know what the acutual "Medical" term for this condition is besides (numb itchy spot on leg?)  and doesnt it seem odd that everyone has it on there right legs???  Weird!!!!!
I am right there with all of you. Mine started when I had my gallbladder removed in July. My doctor said it was shingles before the blisters. She gave me an antiviral medication and steriods. That helped. She also gave me Cymbalta in Sept for depression and said it would help with the leg pain. It did for a little while, but I am back to the same thing. My right leg is numb above my knee and surrounding thigh, hurts when it is lightly touched, and with the cold weather plus I get a stabbing pain as if I am being stabbed with a knife. It hurts when I am standing, sitting or lying down. Lately my lower back and pelvic area are sore as well. I have an appt with the neurologist at the end of this month. I was talking to friend who is also a gastro doctor and he thinks something is pressing on a nerve. He suggested a pelvic exam, a ct scan and a colonoscopy. I do know my problem is related to my surgery, but what it is, I don't know yet. I couldn't fathom 23 years of this! Good luck to all of you!
I have been experiencing numbness and some pain in the my right knee at the top of the tibia. It started out as pain when I knelt on it but as evolved fromjust when I knelt to tender to the touch as well as numb to the touch in about a 4X5 area.  It feels tender but also feels like it has been shot with novicane.  Any idea what it might be?  I would love to have you e-mail me with some suggestions...Thanks
my pain is on my right thigh and started small with just a bit of numbness, like my thigh was asleep.  i noticed it mostly at night.  now it has spread and feels hot and tender to the touch.  even when i sleep and are tossing and turning it hurts just to move my leg.  i am over weight and was on meth for 5 years. clean 1 and half now.  i haven't been to a doctor but thought it was related to meth.  at times my fingers would go numb too and i figured it was the drugs.  
Same symptoms here.  I've researched EVERYTHING and have a specialist doctor who says everything from neuropathy to tumor in spine.  I've had the MRIs and x-rays and shock reflex test etc...DONT waste your money!!! (results all say nothing's there) I am overweight but dont think that's the problem.  I've been on pain meds for 6 years and then this numbness/burning/itching bullsh*t hit me and it feels like a blood vessel has popped and it trickling hot blood just under my thigh tissue right above my knee. Nobody else put it that way...does anyone else feel that along with the other symptoms? When family or friends think i'm overreacting about a little numbness i hand them the nearest sharp object and say, "stab me in the leg, if i flinch, i'll give you a hundred bucks".  I hate people who dont understand pain/distress like this.  Anyways, my doc did put me on Lyrica (very expensive nerve drug) and if i take it three times a day, the numbness goes away mostly, but the pain, pressure, burning, itching, etc is still there, along with the side effects of the pills: dry mouth like crazy and cramps (charlie horse in calf at 3 am).  So, it's sixes. But, the numbness for me is the worst part.  Ask your doctor for a sample of the stuff; you'll know if it helps you within 2 days.  if you have any info to add please post and email if you dont mind: shawnesty(AT)h*tmail <---you know how the address works :)
Good luck guys!
My symptoms began after I was placed on methadone for a herniated disc. My question to you is; after you recovered from your overdose, did your numbness and other symptoms in your legs ever recover?.
I have these symptoms for 11 years now and nothing has been done it travels around my body and does go on my legs to. I am glad i am not the only one cause i can see what help people are getiting here so i can get something done. Mine gets so bad i lost all the jobs i had over it and cant even work now. The numb tingling on my back has spread and have a new area up by my neck also. Also i had an xray and shows my muscle spasm on my neck for the past year. How come nothing is being done by my doctor?
I just found this other site that gave me a name ..I looked it up and it sounds like it could be it...   Meralgia Paresthetica    or Lateral  Femerol  Cutaneous  Nerve  Syndrome

Now some of the site say it is due to Over weight and some say to pregancey but IF you keep looking you will also find a site that says it is dye to a nerve in the bak L2 and L3 I belive... and when excamaned the doc find nothing wrong yet it IS a symptom..ANd there are such few cases of this reported ..So EVERYONE go and tell your doc this so More folks will get diganosed earlier cause it wont be a rare thing anymore... Yea... A name for this.. Pain..
You were not alone.  I got a numb spot (most of the time) above my right knee along my thigh.  It was so itchy sometimes and has a burning feeling. It started last April 07, I already consulted 2 doctors and told me that it was my nerves. The doctor prescribed me Vitamin B1, then referred me back to a neurologist, he told me the same thing and advised me to go for Eletromyography test. Last month I had the test and I am still waiting for the result on my next appoinment on August 27, 07 and hoping that they will find solutions on this.Yes I agree with "wrigr9" Does anyone know what the acutual "Medical" term for this condition is besides (numb itchy spot on leg?)  and doesnt it seem odd that everyone has it on there right legs???  Weird!!!!!  

Please share your experience and how it was solved!!!

Thank you!!
My numbness started about 20 years ago and has gotten worse over the years. Started out as a small numb spot about mid thigh. It has gradually progressed to the entire thigh. I have also had lower back pain often too.  If I stand in one place too long, my lower back gets so painful, I have to lean on something to hold myself up. In the last two years, my thigh numbness has begun to have pain in the same area too.  It sometimes feels like a knife cutting pain, sometimes it feels like a layer of skin is ripping off, sometimes it doesn't hurt unless I rub on it and then the skin has pain.  The pain usually goes away when I get up and walk around but the numbness stays. It happens a lot when I first wake up, and occasionally the pain wakes me up.  Finally, a family doctor actually listened to my symptoms and sent me for an xray. They found narrowing of the disc and prescribed Lyrica which I haven't tried yet.  Does anybody know if there is a permanent remedy for this besides pills?  Coop63
Don't get pain management needles stuck in you.  I did and they went to deep and damaged my spinal cord.  I have pins and needles in my hand, numbness and an itchy neck and vibrations in my body- basically nerve damage.  I'm going to go to Dr Green in Miami , world know specialist.
It hurts most when I drive, when I am working the pedals with my right leg.  This may be an ergonomic problem caused by a bad car seat position (too far from pedals, trying to keep far from the airbag, because I am short).  That would explain why it is just one leg.  
I also have the same problem as everone else. I have a numbness that started out on the side of my right thigh about the size of a quarter and it has gotten really big. It covers the side of my thigh now and has woked its way to the front of my thigh. I am also overweight. I have never went to the docor about it either. I have a numb spot to the touch and when i move a certain way it has a burning sensation. This has been going on for 5 years now and it keeps getting bigger. I hope its not a blood clot! Can anyone help?
Hi.
I've got all the same symptoms - began the same and progressed to worse but in my left leg. I had an MRI also. It turns out it is a pinched nerve in my hip. It is located on the front of the pelvis and runs between the hip bone and the groin. If you have the same problem, it does get better. It is associated with weight, exercise, how tight you wear your pants (and belts), and your chair you sit in! I lost about 5lbs, I don't wear clothes that press tightly against the hip, and I don't sit all the time anymore. If I push on that part of my hip, my leg will get cold, burn, itch.. and it will spread. The more weight I gain, the tighter the pants fit, the more time I spend sitting, the more painful/numb my leg is.
There is one benefit to this whole stupid leg thing, it motivates me to get exercise and get off my butt. So look at it in a positive way =)

I've read quite a few of these posts and not everyone appears to have the same thing. All of you need to have a doctor. If you don't have insurance, pay cash and call around for the cheapest MRI place. Believe it or not, they all charge differently and many accept payments!
yeah, im going through something similar and wacky as well. one morning i woke up and it felt like my whole right leg was semi-asleep. from the top of my love handle, all the way down to my toes. i figured that it would just go away, but here i am a week later still annoyed at my extra sensitive large extremity! the weirdest symptom that im having is that anything that touches my skin which is remotely cold (anything cooler than my body temperature) feels painful. kind of like there is a sensitive bruise being brushed against. its shocking when anything, even my perfume body spray, touches the affected area. im thinking it may be a pinched nerve, and im hoping that it will just go away with some diet and exercise. should i be concerned? im not over weight. and im an active waitress who walks a lot everyday. WTF?
Me too!  Right upper thigh.  I find that I feel it mostly when I first go to bed.  I especially feel it when I lie on my back, if I turn to my side the itching/numbness mostly goes away.  Lately (last few months), it's been itching throughout the day though.  I sometimes itch to the point of bruising.  I also find that I have some dots on my skin too.  The itching is deep, so I don't know if I can relate the two to each other.  Does anyone else have any type of dots (kind of like pimples--gross) on there skin?  Im intrigued by the fact that these posts mostly comment on the right thigh.
I have for some time been experienced periodic numbness, itching and pain on a spot of my left outer thigh.  This morning it happened again and just to test whether it was really numb I stuck a safety pin on the surface, not deep enough to injure myself, and I didn't feel a thing but had actually pricked myself enough to cause a tiny bit of bleeding.  So I went searching on the Internet to find out if there were any other people that have experienced this and came across this website.  I do believe I have what someone else' doctor has identified as meralgia paresthetica? Meralgia paresthetica is an entrapment or "pinching" of the nerve that supplies sensation to the outer portion of the thigh. The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve becomes "entrapped" as it passes under the ligament of the groin. The pressure on the nerve causes abnormal sensations of burning, pain, and numbness in the distribution of this nerve, the outer and part of the front of the thigh.  If it will help others to know that they have this too here are some things about my current health status that may relate to you.  I hope this helps.  As I read many of the posts I could see similarities in my condition as in others.  So if your health conditions match any of mine I agree with the other person who posted information about this condition, see your doctor.  NIH says this is a rare condition but it also may be the symptom to something as serious as multiple scerlosis.

My health: obese, herniated disc, recently exercised (took a long walk) and was very sore afterwards, severe lower back pain, arithtis in my spine and also very bad edeme in both ankles and feet.

Well.. Same problem here. Right upper thigh. Numb, cold and tingling burning sensations with EXTREME itch that seems like its under the skin.a couple small red bumps also appeared Someone mentioned a feeling like hot blood boiling and dripping under the skin.. . That describes it for me. Ive had this problem for about 3 months.. it started off a small spot .. now it covers my whole right upper thigh. I went to the doctor today... basically they had nothing to say.. something about a post virul thing.. but it was all maybe's.  So Im supposed to wait a few more weeks, and see if it goes away.. oh and im supposed to go in right away if another bump appears.  I wish I could get a straight answer because this is really bothering me. Im tired of waking up in the middle of the night with this extreme pain and itch. Ive actually been scratching too hard I guess because its bruising me by the looks of it.  Im 21 years old, a lil overweight but healthy . I eat right and excersise a few times a week. If someone wants to email me please do.. at  kick_ash_420***@****
ok it doesnt show my email.. at the hot  male
I have had similar symptoms as all of you as well.  Mine started about 3 years ago.  4 1/2 years ago, I had had surgery for an intestinal disease called Chron's Disease and had gotten a spinal tap as the anesthetic, where they temporarily paralyze you from the waist down.  I recovered from the tap, no problem.  A year later (about three 1/2 years ago), I had to have another surgery for the Chron's Disease, and again, I used the spinal tap.  I got the typical symptoms of tinglies in my legs while I was recovering from the paraylsis, and they again warned me it may take a few days to feel completely normal.  The only problem was that this time, things never went completely back to normal.  When I would lay down, months later, only my RIGHT THIGH would feel asleep.  I'd have to hit it a bunch of times to feel it again.  I thought that I should give it a few months to see if it was just me recovering from the spinal tap.  Symptoms stayed the same but became more frequent--whenever I layed down, my right thigh would go numb.  I realized sometimes my fingers and hand would feel this way after I'd wake up, so I thought maybe I had diabetes or poor blood flow.  I finally told my doctor about it a year and a half later.  She did Diabetes tests on me, but they came back normal.  Throughout the next year, I started getting other symptoms--I would get sharp pains rushing up my leg once and a while if I stepped farther out than normal, and sometimes my leg would get a jolt of pain.  I dealt with it this past year but finally decided to mention it again to my doctor, since the symptoms have changed and I have become worried because the area it's affecting it getting bigger.  Occasionally, I still get the sharp pains but mostly my symptoms are now a bigger area of numbness (extending over most of the right thigh starting above the right of my kneecap toward the middle of my thigh), a hot feeling at the spot, and lot's of itchiness.  I can feel my fingers on my thigh but it feels as if the numbness is deeper inside.  Itching almost seems like it's caused the area to spread.  Important questions to ask is what causes the hotness?  Why just the right leg?  Why overweight?  I have yet to have an MRI, though my doctor has ordered one.  I have to get insurance as of this month, so I will let you know how that goes.
In order for us all to see if we have a common link, we need to list things about ourselves that may cause our symptoms, and see if anyone has a similar story.
1) Surgery? I have had three surgeries within the past 5 years.  Two involved spinal taps, 1 was with regular anesthesia.
2) Weight? I am overweight.
3) Physical Illness? I have Chron's Disease, an intestinal disorder.
4) Taking Prescription or Over the Counter Medication? I am on a medication called Mercaptopurine.
5) Diet? I am a vegetarian, and may not get all of my B vitamins everyday.
6) Vitamin? Sometimes I take a multi-vitamin called One a Day for women
7) Age? I am 25
8) Smoker/non? I am a non-smoker.
9) Psychological Illness? I have anxiety and dysthimia, but do not take meds.
10) Other? I am otherwise healthy.

Everyone on this list and anyone who reads this, please answer the 1-10 as if it is you to see if you have any similar situations.
Read this article on femoral nerve dysfunction  
This may be a diagnosis for some of you, but check with your doctor first.

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/femoral-nerve-dysfunction/overview.html
I have the same problem as all of u---but mine started in my right foot & then travelled all the way up to just under my breasts then crossed over to left side & went all the way down to my left foot.  This has been going on for about 4 months now.  Have had MRI done & it was negative.  I don`t know what to do anymore---I am NOT overweight---in fact--I can hardly stand to look at food at present---i am down to 95 lbs.  I have no itchiness---just cold, numbness that never goes away--pins  & needles & when someone or something  touches me it`s like an electric shock going thru me.  Also my private areas are affected as well---have to take a laxative to help to go as my muscle in that area is not working.  HELP.  I am going insane.
By your comments and everybody else's this Right thigh fiery burning itching sensation that started with me also quarter to half-dollar in area about one and one/half  years ago with light tingling then last night unbearable itching (unless I walk around or sit straight), I have several observations. 1) Either pregnancy or a spinal injury (by fall on bum or head) or obesity affects women.  2) I think we can rule out Deep vein thrombosis or poor circulation problems. 3) Males that suffer with BIRT (Burning Itching Right Thigh) seem to have these characteristics:  Sleeping when it happens (ALL of you said this was one thing true for All) which takes away needed sleep keeping you fatigued (very symptomatic of Sleep Apnea).  Also this link to spinal injury is very telling.  The last time I hurt myself was when I fell very hard on my tailbone.  Eventually the pain went away with lots of ADVIL but then the qtr-sized tingling started...  My question is this:  Could there possibly be a link to Diabetes Insipidus that causes this itching?  Is there a doctor in the house?  Could there be a link to diabetes since the left side of our circulatory system DESCENDS from the heart there will not be any itching, but since the right side of our blood circulatory system is ASCENDING to the heart?  Your comments please!!!!!!!!!!!! Sincerely,   ---------elcalvito, hurting in Nashville.
I can't belief I have finaly found this site! I have had these symptoms for 3 years now and had been hoping for a cure or at least relief from the symptoms.  The one commonality seems to be the nerve thing.  My G.P. says she thinks the nerves over my right hip have been damaged and stretched causing the symptoms.  She also gave me a name for it but I can't remember what it is...I must go back and find out. Some days I think I am going to go mad, or die of embarrassment, because of the itching, then, if it's not the itching it's the burning and numbness.  I hope we don't have to just 'live with this'.  I will let you all know if I find anything out.  Here's hoping.
Bev
I can't believe that so many people suffer from practically identical symptoms, yet the medical profession practically ignores them, unless a diagnosis is confirmed by a
MRI, EMG etc.  It is almost as if they don't believe us, but how do you measure, pain, numbness, tingling, itching etc.  I can relate to your frustration and I was referred to a neurologist because my physiotherapist thought I had taken a stroke.  When my doctor tested my knee reflexes, I nearly kicked him into the wall, they were that BRISK, which was not normal for me.  Six years later and after multiple MRI's, EMG, EEG, X-Ray's and a referral to another neurologist, I am still undiagnosed.  The referral guy just tacked it all up to my being over anxious and told me to take some pills and go back to work.  I have never suffered from depression or anxiety, and he was just a quack seeing about 60 patients in two days.  Yet, we live in our skins so we know what is like to feel normal and all this tingling, nerve pain, stuttering, stammering, electric like shocks, stabbing, burning pain while your foot and leg feels cold and dead is not NORMAL.  Your sleep is affected since the leg tightens up at night and that is when the pain is worse.  If only the medical profession could walk in our shoes then maybe somebody would believe this and do more about trying to find the cause.  It is almost like your central nervous system is misfiring or is short circuited, but what has happened to cause that is still unknown.  Good luck and hang in there, you aren't alone as you can see from all the postings, there are FAR TOO MANY OF US just trying to survive.  Take care,.
I have had this similar symptom in my left thigh.  The area is about as big as my hand. About 4 inches above the knee & left on the thigh.  No itching.  Mostly burning, on & off. Sometimes it feels cold.  That area is usually where I get bruised if I bump into a chair/table/tv etc.   I am about 10 pounds overweight, 56, no meds, vitamins daily.  I see a chiropractor every 6-8 weeks for an adjustment.  The last time I was there before the holidays, I did not have this sensation.  I just went to the doc this past week & described this.  His approach was a wait & watch until I see him again. Or if it seems to be getting worse, come into the office.   Part of my visit usually involves cold or heat treatments & a 10-15 minute back massage on whatever area is causing trouble.  This time it was my neck/shoulder area.  That usually puts me to sleep but I noticed when the therapist was doing the massage, that area of my leg burned a little.  I didn't equate the area of the back with the burn so I dont know what specific area it was.  I was hoping that with the spinal adjustment & the therapy the leg burn/cold area would diminish.  And so far it hasnt.  I am going to go back & get a 30 minute massage & pay more attention to when that burn sensation appears & the area of my back.
Has anyone who feels these numbness pains, been incontact with farm mice or has mice frequency traps in your home?, become lactose intolerant in the last year or  two? have history of multiple kidney stones or gout ?and presently feel fatique most of the time.Are you constantly dehydrated? Does Alcohol intensify the problem? cold days? hot showers? Anyone take cholesteral medicine in the last 2 years or when it began. Anyone smoke cigarattes or marjuana?
I think I have a sollution and are testing it on myself now, slight improvement has occured but I need your feedback to help me understand the root of this problem. I believe all these problems occur because of a week kidney, although the doctor may have preformed tests on your kidney and found nothing its because they are checking for common issues and not rare incidents.
The way this medical system is going we as suffering patients need to find a common denominator in the majority of us sufferers. We need to think outside the box and try anything. I tried a vet and a biochemist to get answers and believe it or not they both said nothing to do with nerves but muscles instead. both agree this can be caused by kidney malfunctions. I too am excited to find this site and to find others who share my pain...one step closer to fixing our problem.
thanks charlie
Chapman--I think I have become lactose intolerant, and over the last year.  However, my thigh numbness has been affecting me for over 3 years.

To all-- Hello again.  I went to my doctor and she tested my B12 and Thyroid and all was normal.  I also had an MRI done today and that came back "normal" as well.  I think my next course of action is to see a neurologist.  

I also found this online.  Maybe some of you are suffering from this.  Do a search on it.  "Arteriosclerosis of the extremities".
Mine started New Years day as I was wrestling with putting an artificial Christmas tree, in the box, back in the attic. My back was a little sore is all. That night was a sleepless one as my lower back hurt so bad. The next day I went to my GP who upon seeing the level of pain I was in gave me a shot of morphine and sent me home with pain pills and muscle relaxers. Later that night the whole top of my thigh was 100% numb. At some point later, all around where the numbness ended, was worst pain ever, the only I can describe it is somewhere between a blow torch and needles. And yes the itching started, like trying to scratch a deadman's leg. Went back to me GP and he said it was a pinched nerve, suggested a pain management clinic. Could not get an appt for over a week. Went to the ER the other night received more morphine and had MRI. The MRI results "torn muscle in my butt".   My butt!  does not hurt. I don't think they even care. I even printed off the link to this site for them to read. They said that they weren't able to
view the site. I need help. I think that lady Dr. in the ER thought I was trying to scam for drugs. Right!!
Wow... So glad to know I'm not just losing my mind. My upper left thigh started with numbness in about a 4"x6" area. This progressed to itching, crawling and burning and my skin feels warm to the touch. It's been a few years now and the area has gotten larger and now I've noticed a slight swelling just above my left knee, which involves the numb area.

I do have 3 buldging discs in my back and have frequent lower back pain. Also, for whatever reason, the itching, burning and crawling in my leg has subsided considerably over the past 6 months or so. The numbness has been there all along. My chiropractor told me it was probably a pinched nerve - yet nothing he did ever provided relief.

I have been experiencing some kind of upper digestion problem for about 5 years. I've never smoked anything and haven't been on cholesterol meds. I have been on hypertension meds for 2 years and I am overweight.

I just started going to a new holistic dr. She had me do a 3 day gallbladder flush, started treating me for hypothyroidism and instructed me to do an 11 day detox diet. From the day I started the diet which is basically fruits, veggies and lean protein with a juice fast on day 7 (today), my leg has gone crazy itching and crawling and burning. I didn't change my physical activity at the same time, only the diet.  

I'm going to talk to my dr. about it this week and see if she can make the connection in the timing of the diet and the resurection of of the itching, crawling and burning.... the numbness I can take, these other things drive me batty.

Thanks so everyone for sharing. I'll keep you posted if I find out anything!

Lindsyj
I'm really glad to know I'm not losing my mind. My husband thinks I'm crazy when I try to explain my situation to him. The mid- to outer part of my left thigh started with numbness in an area about the size of my hand; however the numbness also consisted of a tingling, burning sensation sort of like a "waking up" feeling. I've never had the itching or warm feeling, but I've noticed in the last month or so that the area has gotten larger and now I've noticed a slight swelling just above my left knee, which involves the numb area. It feels tight at times and rubbery at other times.

I too have searched the internet and found all of the same stuff as you guys; however, when I start reading all the information about it, I don't have all of the symptoms described, nor do they discuss the swelling mass. The only thing I could find about the some type of mass was a neuroplasm which is a form of cancer. It says it has to do with damaged tissue and could be either benign or malignant. Now I'm really scared about it.

I'm 38 years old and in fairly good health, I think. I don't have any back pains or any other areas of concern so I'm not sure what to do.

Anything new that anyone has found out would be appreciated.
I have similar symptoms in the legs (burning, itching, numbness, vibrations, tingling, etc.)  I believe mine is caused by RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Some of you may be too. My mother was diagnosed with it and went through a study. There is a medication that helps (worked for her). I have not gone to a doctor for mine. Mine is worse at night, but I have symptoms during the day as well (especially the vibrations in my feet). Google RLS online for more information.  
I found this site and all I can say is its great to know that I am not going crazy. The symptoms of Meralgia Paresthetica fit mine exactly. I have the intense itching in both thighs but the left is worse than the right. It started about a year ago and correlates to a weight gain. The itching is so bad sometimes and at first I thought it was skin related and tried all kinds of anti-itch lotions. But in reading all of your posts, I realize its inside. The numbness comes and goes and I only have pain with massage. The itching drives me crazy. From what I have read, there is no treatment except weight loss which doesnt come easy for me at all and I have been diagnosed with a very slow Basal Metabolic Rate. Thyroid tests are normal. All blood work except a low Growth Hormone level was normal.
I welcome all comments and information!!
Thanks,
Abby
I donated a kidney in October 2007 and experience the same numbness, burning, itching, etc that most of you describe.  The doctors tell me that in order to remove my right kidney they had to stretch the femoral nerve beyond it's capacity.  They said it may never get better.  Well originally I was numb from my knee to my groin line and all the way around with the exception of maybe 2 inches on the back of my leg.   Now six months later I have regained feeling half way up my thigh in the front and totally in the back.  The pain gets so bad at times that I have to take pain medication.  At least I know what caused mine and I have had improvement and hope to regain all feeling one day.  Good luck to you in getting a diagnosis and a cure!
Hi, this could be neuropathy either due to nerve compression at lumbar spine or meralgia paraesthesia which is charcterized by pain, paresthesias (lack of sensation), or numbness occurs about the outer aspect of the thigh, usually on one side. It is sometimes relieved by sitting.
Physical exam by a physician shows no abnormalities, except in severe cases when sensation of the skin is impaired in the affected area. It is a condition characterized by pain, paresthesia (abnormal sensation of burning, tingling, etc.) and numbness on the lateral surface of the thigh in the region supplied by the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve.
Investigations like MRI, blood CPK,CKMB, etc should be done.
I have burning/numbness and itching on my front thighs... its constant when I am still- so lying, standing and sitting sitl it is constant! I cant sleep becuase it burning so much, and its hard to shave becuase I cant feel the skin.

I am not over weight, Im 98 pounds and 5'2. I am not a sedentary person-... my doctor doesnt think its lateral cutaneous nerve syndrome since that is a commnon problem for people who drive a lot since the seatbelt is compressiing the nerves. I had an Xray and there was nothing wrong.  

I have NO back pain at all, I have no "siactic" pain, and the symptoms I do have do not travel or centralize.

No one knows what to tell me, Im only 24, Im at my wits end!
Ive been diagnosed with meralgia paresthetica-
but because they cant figure out why I have it, they cant do anything to relieve it, and nothing seems to relieve it (besides walking and moving around- doesnt help me when I want to sleep though).  Im afraid Im going to have permanent nerve damage!
I've had my numb thigh for about 10 years now.  It hasn't burned lately, although when it did, it felt like a bad sunburn and the pressure of clothes touching it was very painful.  The slightest pressure-usually when one of my cats decides to trek across my lap-is excruciating, as is a slight bump.  I ran into an object outside a few weeks ago, bumping it very slightly, and felt as if someone had slammed my thigh with a sledgehammer.  And it left an awful bruise!

I've had weird issues with cold, especially at night when I'm trying to get to sleep.  If there is the slightest opening in the covers and air touches my thigh, it is really, really painful.  I have to pack blankets around my butt just to keep this from happening.  Now, if the blankets are off and my whole leg is exposed, there is nothing.  It only happens when the tiny spot gets cold.

Another weird thing was, a few months ago I was having this feeling of very cold spots on my rear end, almost as if I were sitting on a block of ice, and the only relief I could get was to sit on a hot heating pad but even then I could still feel it.  This went on for several weeks. Then I went to a massage therapist, and she worked over the area very intensely.  I haven't had that problem since-and I hadn't mentioned to her that I'd had this.  When she dug her knuckles into those nerves I nearly went into orbit, but I could tell something was happening so I told her to keep on.

I also have the numbness in my back, not always but usually after standing awhile.  It's a spot about fist-sized, a pins-and-needles feeling, and it crawls around!  I can feel it moving around the surface of my back, mostly between the shoulder blades.

I am overweight.  When I first had the thigh thing, my doctor told me it was a pinched nerve and was due to weigh gain.  So I lost weight, and got down to several pounds lower than I was when the numbness first started, but it didn't go away.  Now I weigh lots more...
I am classified as obese in weight. About a year ago I noticed on my upper left outer thigh it was going numb. Then I noticed about the size of a quarter in that area became really itchy when numb. Now for the past few nights I have been awakened in the early morning by extreme heat coming from the whole outer left thigh then stabbing pain accompany it to where I nearly scream in pain. During all these symptoms that part of the thigh is totally numb with tingling. I am amazed a person can get all these symptoms to run concurrently? They seem so foreign to each other. anyone have any ideas? I have heard it was a pinched nerve.
I have most of the same symptoms on my outer left thigh, numbness, pain, crazy itchy, feels like bugs are crawling around an area the size of my hand. It also gets extreamly cold and hot. Sometimes I feel a tingling that runs down my leg all the way to the foot. Also pain in the back of my legs. At first it was only at night and now it's most of the time. I do have pain in the bottom of my back. I also have swollen lymp nods on the inside crease of my left leg and I also noticed some on my lower back. My doctor said without any tests or exrays the I most likely have a herniated disc in my lower back and its pressing on the ischiatic nerve, which is causing all the symptoms. I would like to know if anyone else has swollen lymb nods.
I am going back to the doctor and insisting exrays to prove the herniated disc. I have a curved spine (scolioses) and the doctor said that I am a candidate for spinal problems like herniated discs. I am a 46 year old female. I don't take drugs and I quit smoking one year ago. I did have an asid reflux problem but I am ok. since I quit drinking caffine and changed my diet. I've had 2 C-sections but no epidermal in my spine.
Most people suffering from these symptoms seem to be over weight. I have come to the conclusion the the weight is not the cause but it is a problem. My symptoms started around 3 years ago when I was about 30 pounds over weight. I lost 40 pounds and became under weight. I felt really good and all my symptoms in the leg went away. Then I quit smoking around 1 year ago and gained the 40 pounds back and the symptoms came back worse then ever. My doctor told me not to do any exercises that are hard on my back but I desperately want to lose the weight. I go to the gym about 4 times a week and I also do weights. I feel the pain in my back and leg. Even if I just go for a walk I feel the pain in my leg.

I have also come to the conclusion that the reason doctors are not helping is probably because the they can't help. The spine and ischiatic nerve are complicated and risky business to play with. I sujest a chiropractor and not surgery. My husbands first wife died on the operating table for the exact problem I'm having, if that's what I have.

I need to get more tests done. I can't sleep good at night with all the pains and symptoms in my leg. Also the stress of not knowing for sure what the proplem is. I was worried about cancer and even if I have to deal with these symptoms for the rest of my life, it's a little relief to hear that people have lived 20 years or more with the symptoms.

I feel that if I can lose 20 pounds I may lose the pain in the leg and other might want to do the same. It may relieve the symptoms in the leg.

Lise
I have a quick question, I am 26 years old and I just started having a numbness in my right thigh its above my knee a little to the outside of my leg. I went to the er a couple of days ago and the dr said it was a sciatica nerve on the right side of my body. The problem I have with this is on all my research it states that its a lower back pain that extends down through the buttocks and back of the leg. If that is the case then why isn't the pain in the back of my leg. Should I be worried about this or just let it go? Any feed back will be helpfull.
.I have the same itching/stabbing pain that you are describing, (I will post my story under this comment) but I just wanted to say that you all should talk to your doctor about a medication called Nortriptyline.  It started as an antidepressant, but now is also used for several other reasons, including nerve problems.  It completely takes the itching pain away.  Doesn’t completely take away the numbness, but I would do anything to get rid of the itching pain.  At first the doctor put me on amitriptyline, but the side effects made me very drowsy, so they changed it to 50mg of Nortriptyline. ( A sister drug) and it works wonders

I am 23 years old and I started noticing an itchy/stabbing pain in my thighs when I was about 15 when I would run or jog. (I would describe the pain as if you would have 1000 mosquito bites on your legs and the itch becomes painful) The only thing that would make the pain go away was to stop moving.  It would go away in about 5-10 minutes.  I narrowed down the occurrences to running, jogging or walking.  Any other exercise didn’t seem to do it.  I think it has something to do with the hard quick pressure you do when you are in a stepping motion.  Now I still get the pain when I run or walk, but I also have been experiencing numbness in my thighs and calves.  This will come during the day, sometimes standing, sometimes sitting or laying down.  The odd thing is, once I take only a sip of any kind of alcohol (wine, beer, liquor) the numbness comes. The doctors put me through all kinds of testing and found nothing.  They think it may be my L3 from where the numbness is located, but that’s as far as that went. They then had me try nortriptyline.  It is a drug that is mostly used as an antidepressant, but also helps with nerve problems.  It seemed to help my itching/ stabbing pain 100%!!!  It’s great that I can be mobile again but the numbness hasn’t gone away.  I also do not like the idea that the doctors do not know what is wrong.  Another worry I have is that you can not take nortriptyline when you are pregnant or breast feeding.  I want to start a family in the next few years, and I'm scared that I will not be able to walk during the process.  If anyone has any ideas or has the same pains, please let me know. Thank you for your time.
I have been having the itching,pain,tenderness,nausea,diarrhea,can't sleep unless I take my sleeping medicine.  But, my pain is in my left side and back , mid ways.  The itching,burning,sweating,hotness is only getting worse.  I do have a chronic illness.  Lupus (SLE) & I have fibromyalgia but this is totally different than the stiffness, rashes,and other things that accompany my chronic illness.  I'm thinking that this could have something to do with my Kidneys??  Does anyone have any ideas.  Because my Doctor's don't.  all, I know is that the pain is their and all of my symptoms seem to be getting worse.
As others have said, thank goodnes I am not alone and crazy!  Mine started about 4 months ago as a small red spot on my outer right thigh, thought it was a bee sting or insect bite since I was outside gardening.  Then another sprang up and another, till I had about 5 in the same area, so I knew it could not be all these insect bites in the same place occuring every 2 or 3 days in succession.  They itched and hurt deep down,  then they started to fade away, even though there was still some pain below them.  Then I was not getting any new red dots, but then my outer thigh started to burn, tingle, feel cold to the touch, and really hurt. It almost felt like the thigh in that area was slightly indented from the rest of my thigh.  The area seems to be expanding, and when I lay down to sleep at night now, the pain gets worse and stabbing, the tingling increases, and when I get up in the morning, it seems to get a little better once I have started to move around.  But then it gets very itchy, and the pain is there all day.  I was overweight but have lost 45 lbs, still have a little more to go, did have ankle surgery for a bad break  a year ago, if that is any help, walk/run 1-2 miles a day on my treadmill, eat healthy, only meds are baby aspirin daily and calcium supplement. Any one out there with similar background?
Everyones comments about the right front thigh burning/numbness hit home with me. I am 62 ,male,140 lbs.,have always been an active person.About two years ago my right front leg above the knee suddenly became a "hot spot", right behind my pocket of change and car keys.I quickly emptied my pocket and the coins even felt hot. I rubbed the leg and it subsided after a while. This happened again every few days.If I moved the coins to the left pocket,or carry my cell phone in any pocket,it would eventually burn there,too.
  This  happens more frequently today and I have developed some psoriasis.Doctor wasn't much help.My personal diagnosis for myself is: eat more banannas(potassium), hydrate myself more often,may try the honey/cinammon intake...do some orbital movement exercises.
Check proper shoe fit,also.
I have this problem too. About a year ago I started getting a feeling like a vibrating cell phone on my leg behind my left front pocket. Drove me crazy thinking I was getting called. Now it has evolved into an itchy burning feeling, feels like its numb just on the surface skin when I scratch but burning/itching underneath. I noticed a few weeks ago a hard pimple like soare in the center of the site but it has since vanished.
Also it seems that the srea of burning is getting bigger. Started out quarter sized now  much larger.
Hello.  I read all the postings here and I appreciate all that's been said (thank you :)   And so I'll add my experience too.
    I have the same lower outside right thigh numbness issue.  I has also grown larger from its "quarter" size start.  I occurs mainly when I lay down flat on my back.  It is never itchy nor does it burn, but I suspect that'd be around the health corner, if I didn't work on minimizing it.  I first thought it was due to holding tension in the fascia layer just below the skin in that area, but I learned that is more related to the Meralgia Paresthetica view of things.  I had a sports fall injury in my lower back back in 1991 and I think that's what started things.  Then the numbness would occur after standing for hours at my job, in 1997.  The numbness while sleeping started around 2002.  Regarding weight, I have now done triathlons for 22 years and have always been trim.
   In terms of making my symptom better here's what's working for me: When standing for hours, don't lock your knees nor sway your back, and do distribute your weight evenly on the full soles of both feet .  Also I had a big utility belt and when I loosened it, the numbness stopped. (I never get it on the job now).  When sleeping on my back, a big pillow under my knees helps. In the summer when I am most active, it almost disappears.  Yoga and (consistent) stretching are 2 key elements which work well too.   I have visited chiropractors, sports medicine docs, massage therapists and the like, and each one of them will have an exercise or stretch that they can recommend (do ask them too), and the more I tried/learned them, the clearer it became as to what works.
   Best wishes to all,
   MC
I seriously thought I was the only one in the universe with these symptoms.  And although its nice to hear that I'm not the only one, I still feel bad that we are all going through this.  I went to my family doctor and he told me that it was from wearing my jeans too tight; that I must have pinched a nerve which would cause that.  

Bigger jeans and 4yrs later, I still have the symptoms.  I am overweight, I'm 27, non-smoker.  I have lower back pain that started around the same time as the burning in my leg.  I have hypothyroidism, but I do not have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. (surprisingly)

I was doing some research and found that it may have something to do with Diabetes.  I have not been diagnosed with Diabetes but I know it does run in my family.

Usually when i'm sedentary it stops burning and sometimes for months I have no symptoms.  Now that I'm getting out and doing yard work and gardening, etc, its starting to act up.  The only thing I can do to dull the pain is to massage my leg.

I skimmed through most of what everyone wrote but the one condition I have . . . I did not read that anyone else has.  When I get the burning feeling, my leg is actually warmer to the touch in that area.  My husband has even felt my leg and agreed that it feels warmer.  (So I know I'm not going insane)

Hopefully with all of us tryng to get this figured out, maybe one of us will be able to post something that will help all of us.  In the meantime, I'll add my name to the Members List of our "Club" (hehe).

Angie :)
Three weeks ago I had an open partial nephrectomy for removal of part of my kidney (right side).  I had an epidural for two days for pain control.  When it was removed the first pain I felt was in my left thigh, much more so than the 10" incision on my right flank.

The surgery site has healed quite nicely but the thigh pain is severely limiting my activities.  After reading up on it I am sure I have Meralgia Paraesthetica.  It's most disheartening since I am now cancer free and the surgery is healing wonderfully.

I am not scheduled to see my surgeon for another three weeks but I think I must see someone else sooner.  There is no way I can return to work like this.  I can walk and it seems to loosen things up but sitting in place for long is agonizing.  I don't even know where to start looking for help.
I to have the burning, itching, and numbness feeling in my one of my legs.  However, it is in my left leg.  I am 16 weeks pregant and the doctor tells me that it is the uterus pressing on the Siactica nerve.  I have been having these symptoms for about three weeks now and mine started out with my leg going to sleep.  Then a tiny spot above my left nerve cap began to burn and feel numb.  It has gotten worse and now my entire thigh sore almost like have gotten a bad bruise.  I am enjoy walking and exercising but this has been put on hold for now.  I mostly have to sit.  I can't be on my feet for no longer than 15mins because the burning sensation is so unbearable.  I am making this post at 5:00 in the morning because I woke up with not only burning but extreme itching in my thigh and a feeling of something being poked in the bottom of my foot.  My doctor saids she thinks it will go away in a few weeks.  I hope she is right because its driving me nuts.  
WOW I'm shocked!!! I have had a numb, fire burning, needle,sharp pain in my left upper thigh for about 3 months. It started small and only once in a while. Now its about my whole thigh and man like some of you said I want to saw my leg off!! I just got laid off work so as soon as I get some Insurance I'm heading to the DOCTOR!!! I could have sworn I was alone in this! I glad to see you all have the same, but sad for you as well!! I search this in a last ditch effort before the saw got sharpened!!! I will post what the doctor says!!

Dirk
Wow, this sounds very familiar too what i've been going through the past 2 years w/no explanation to date, given. My situation is when i stand on my legs for any long periods of time ( over an hour  or so ) i'll feel my shin area of my legs get very hot at first then is accompanied by very intense itching then burning then shoot pains that radiate from shin area up my leg. Note that this has not occured any where else on my body but my shins, and i first thought maybe an allergy too elastic or soaps so i stopped wearing socks and wore sandles, and went too soaps that have no perfume, etc.. didnt help work. This started out as an occassional thing but has developed now into a all the time thing. I DO have liver issues and thought perhaps this was a symptom of liver disease, i'm told it COULD be but further testing is needed. I asked if my weight could have anything to do with this, i'm five foot 10 and weight 160 lbs the doctor said, no, not in this case. I asked could it be sugar, could i be diabetic? they said in some people they have difficulty with this but my wounds are healing slower and when i do get a wound of any kind a scratch etc, they heal brown or black instead of my natural skin tone. Weird aye? Has me confused, frustrated and scared because i cant find anything on the net as to what would be causing this and it has the doctors baffled too. Again this only occurs when i've been on my feet for a period of time, it will begin with a buring hot feeling in my legs/lower shin area, then will turn intensely itchy (more so than the chicken pox wanna scratch feeling) then will be so hot and deep red that it will turn my entire shin area front and back deep red and u can feel the heat coming off it. Skin infection? perhaps, but i've been on antibiotics /keeflex 500mgs and that didnt do any good, i still had occurances during and after treatment. Also i'm noticing my memory is getting worse too the point its noticed by others that know me, I'm only 43 years old so this shouldnt be happening lol, not YET anyways! so what would cause my legs to act up like this along with confusion and memory loss?
I'm baffled, anyone got any ideas because it isnt allergies. I'm wondering IF blood clots or live issues (hepatitis c ) really IS the culprit in this whole thing? Suggestions?
Much obliged,
Nitacure
Hi, I am 25 years old and in 2004 I had a traumatic brain injury. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I had that same itchy spot above my knee (outer thigh area-right leg) It was very intense at first. The pain was there all of the time. I went for my month followup with my neurologist and told me that everything is fine..it could be nerve problems...He would refer me to the specialist if I wanted to go. The pain seemed to be getting better. Now, it is still there, but unlike most of u, it doesn't bug me as much. It bothers me sometimes when I exercise. I know it's there, but I haven't had to go to the specialist. I'll go if it gets to that point. However, I've had urinary retention problems since then. I've seen two urologists since then, and they never seem to believe that I have real problems even though they give me antibiotics for UTIs all of the time. I think they believe that it's all in my head and that since I'm 25 I shouldn't have any problems there yet.:^( It drives me crazy and I always have that sensation that I have got to pee. I haven't mentioned the brain trauma to them. They have my med records. I want to know if the same thing that causes my weird itchy leg pain(meralgia paresthetica?) has anything to do with my bladder/urinary problems? Please, if there is anyone out there that has these same problems or if you know anything let me know. Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The most common reason would be UTI, which would increase your urinary frequency and increase your urge for urination. You can also get your blood sugar estimated for Diabetes which is another cause. You can explain your brain surgery part to your urologist and see if they correlate something based on your tests. Alternatively you can also send your urine for culture for confirming UTI.  Take care!
Well, I'm kind of freaked out. To find so many people with the same problem.
I was also thinking that I was alone with this (itchy, numb, sometimes cold sometimes hot burning sensation in upper right thigh). It started small and has spread.

I'm morbidly obese, age 35, and female. I take medicine for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart burn, depression. Diabetes type 2 runs in my family. I had an Epidural with both of my pregnancies; the last one was nine years ago. I have really horrible lower back pain.

I fell down a flight of stairs (mostly on my face) a month ago. But the spot has been bothering me for half a year now. Although my back does hurt even worse than before the fall. I'm going to look up every suggestion I have found on here.
Thanks!
I am glad I'm not alone here! I have read all of these and it seems it must be meralgia paresthetica.
I am 32 and 15 weeks pregnant.  I am overweight. The numbness started small about a year ago, which was tolerable, but since I have been pregnant, I have had, the intense burning, pain, and some itching.  It is absolutely horrible when I stand or walk for more than 15 minutes.  It is horrible to bare.  I feel for all of you.  I intend to see my chiropractor and give him all of this information.  Thank you all so much, and good luck.
Hi.  I am in desperate search for an answer to my problem as well.  I too suffer from something with my right leg.  It only affects my outer right thigh.  I have the numbness, the itching and definitely the burning/stabbing sensation.  The other night I tried to turn over in bed, and OH MY GOD!!!!  The fiery and stabbing feeling that ran through my outer right thigh was so great that I couldn't do anything but cry and call on the Lord.  It was absolutely unbearable.  I was afraid to move at all after that because every time I tried, I could feel the stinging building in my leg.  PLEASE HELP ME?????  I have been going through this off and on for a couple of years now and it is really taking a toll on me.  If anyone has seen a neurologist, or some other type of specialist please let me know what they think it could be?  
I guess I'll just add to this, instead of creating another topic on it.  I too suffer from Meralgia Parethetica (translates to Leg Pain).  I have had it for about 10 years and have found nothing that will get rid of it.  I have even lost weight with no change.

Things I've tried, but didn't work:

1. Nerve block on Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve
2. Nerve block on Femoral nerve. (I seriously don't recommend you try this)
3. Lyrica
4. Topamax
5. Gabapentin
6. Topical Lidocaine gel (the kind used for burns)

Recently, it has been getting worse and itches like a son of a gun.  It is kind of a cold itch, if that makes sense.  I don't know what else to do besides surgical decompression.

Has anyone ever tried acupuncture to alleviate the pain?
Hoping someone can help shed some light on a health problem that just recently developed for me.  A week ago I had breast surgery and after I was released and had gone home I noticed that my leg from knee to thigh just on the front was completely numb.  After 2-3 days it was still numb but now also there is burning sensation, pins and needles and its gets to be awful painful.  It has been so difficult to sleep ever movement the pain is terrible I just want to cry out.  I have no idea what may have caused and the dr. just thinks its due to low back pain but I hardly have pain there.  Anyone shed a light on this?  Should I be concerned?  Please HELP!!
I just started having the pain and itching in my right leg on my outer hip and it seems to be spreading inward. It is driving me crazy. If anyone finds out an answer please let me know.
Hi,  I too am having the same problems.  A burning on the outter side of my left leg, then it starts to get itchy....I cannt relieve the itch, I've tried scratching with a brush and slapping it will work for seconds and then it is back.  I first thought that I had that flesh eating virus but I have ruled that out.  Maybe accupuctuncture?  I really need help...my husband has had this for over 30 years although I am new to it, maybe 1 year or two.   Please help...I don't think I can handle it for 29 plus years.
Thanks you,
Vanessak
I too am happy to know others have the same thing.  Mine started with only my right leg, terrible itching, non-stop to where I would scratch it raw,
then mild numbness off and on, lately, both outer thighs, I go to sleep and depending on which side I sleep on determines which thigh wakes me up with extruciating burning pain, so I change position, and then its the other one.  It feels like I have 3rd degree burns on them and someone is pouring hot water on the burns, if that makes sense (the way the pain feels), then after I get up, and have walked around a bit, the pain subsides, but then itching / intermitent numbness follows.  
I do NOT have any health insurance (laid off) and can not get state assistance because I receive unemployment - so any help or ideas on this will be appreciated !!

my stats:      age:   47
                    5'4",   120 lbs
                    no underlying illness (that I know of)
                    Take paxil cr for anxiety/depression
initial onset of this :  approx 1 year ago
                                    now at untolerable pain causing sleep disruption

hope someone (a caring doctor) out there can make sense of this "condition" so they come up with adequate treatment.
I have the numbness, tingling and itching on my outer portion of my left thigh. I had x-rays and am seeing a chiropractor. I was told I have a spinal stenosis. It's an impingement by a bone onto the nerve in my back (by the spinal column) that runs through the leg. I was told it is not dangerous, only very uncomfortable at times. I have been given back exercises to do to strengthen the muscles and ligaments. I am also taking Ligaplex supplement and Glucosamine Sulfate. The exercises have come in very handy to alleviate the discomfort to quite a degree.

Hope this helps.
I'm not a doctor,but you have the same symptoms as myself,I had to find a diagnosis online, meralgia paresthetica.A nerve is being pinched at some point by either bone muscle or tendon.The cure that worked for me was physiotherapy to strengthen my core muscles.I've had this problem nearly 30 years and today I barely notice it.
well i am suffering with the same problem. mine is on my left thigh. I was 3 months pregnant and i was at work and felt the numbness. right now i am 5 months and i still have the numbness and burning. at times i get like a hot sensation that go through my left thigh. i dont know what is is but i ask GOD to help me through it cause its driving me crazy!!!!!
I am having the same symptoms, in both upper legs, although just this week it has progressed in the left upper leg to include a vibrating deep within the muscle.  It all started after (Incisional Hernia) surgery in late July 2009 with the burning, tingling, itching in both upper legs.  I mentioned it to the surgeon and and he seemed clueless except he said it can't be related to the hernia surgery.  It has continued and is getting worse.  It goes from tingling to itching to stabbing pain deep inside like someone is sticking a knife in my upper leg.  The numbness is such that I cannnot even feel pinching or squeezing the skin of the leg.  Since it is both legs I have to think it might be related to the back.  I am planning to go to the doctors in the next week or so to get it checked out.  I can hardly stand it any more!
I’ve had a very similar experience for the last 3+years, though yesterday it accelerated dramatically by becoming extremely itchy and then I came out with 3 medium bruises where it was itchy (outer left upper leg). This is my progression;
• Started 3+ years ago as a small 2-1 inch numb spot above the left knee.
• Area affected slowly increased to include half my upper front left leg and is now entering my lower leg.
• Feels numb most of the time.
• Skin is warm to the touch.
• Sometimes I have an intense burning crawling feeling, very much like ants or a mini electrical storm reaching across my leg.
• Recently intense itchy feeling with bruising appearing after.
• I’m not overweight, at my heaviest I’m  9 stone (57kg) and I’m 165 cm tall.
• I’ve also been very tired at times and I do have pain in the lower right stomach and back.
• Always seems to be numb-ish though other symptoms come and go, most painful at night when I lie down.
Doctor said that it was most probably a pulled muscle, not sure how I can have a pulled muscle for 3+ years. I believe it may be due to a vein issue, as HIRUDOID cream helps a lot. Also I do have very fine veins on the surface where it first appeared.
Kylie
im not over weight but have had numbness in right upper thigh. thoght it
was a joke? now still suffer from numbness and fatigue. accompanied by bruising. wtf! can anyone help? its getting hard to walk!!!

***@****
osteomyelitis?
omgosh this all happend to me. it started as pain in my left thigh with a numbness on the top skin. now it is painfull as can be but itches wen im not in all the pain. ugh... is there a title for this, or a cure??? i to am on methadone for lower back pain but take exactly as prescribed so idk what to do. should be getting insurance soon. time to figure out whats going on.... any answers for me would be greatly appreciated...  
seems like i didnt have so bad as some of you,mine started in rt.side of stomach area hurtin  pain level  abt. an 8 on scale1-10.i took over counter drugs it helpme go to sleep,no pain then.then it jumpt to my feet.they are numb to the bone,cold ill found out later that the meds [over counter] help w/my diabetes to give me renal failure. so please dont take them w/drs. consultation.angie philagios GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.
I am going through the same thing. My front Pelvic area is itchy and the top layer of skin is going numb and is going into my groin area some and I have lower back pain all of this is on my left side. For guy's I reccomend you have a Prostate exam and a PSA. My regular Doctor told me if it worsen's go to the Uralogical clinic because it can be the start of Prostate Cancer and it was on the sympton's list.
Researched the condition and found the following information - it is known as:  Meralgia Paresthetica

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meralgia-paresthetica/DS00914

http://www.hcplive.com/general/publications/Resident-and-Staff/2006/2006-09/2006-09_04

I am 6 1/2 months pregnant. I started experiencing a numb feeling in the right outer part of leg above knee. It didnt matter if I was standing or sitting. Then within a week it stayed numb but when standing or walking a burning sensation started. Now its been 3 weeks and when I walk it burns and theres a stabbing pain and it is moving up my thigh, a little to front but still on the side. I also get a feeling like trickeling in the spot where it hurts. Almost like something is crawling inside my leg. I have also noticed pain in my lower right side of back when putting on my jeans. First thing that came to mind was blood clot or pinched nerve in the back. Im going to the doctor... but wow... from what you'all are saying sounds like its going to be a long process!
I am a 16-year-old female, and I have some of the same symptoms: I experience numbness, burning, and it hurts, like a real sharp pain, whenever I put something cold on it. I did fall on my back at school about a month ago, but I never had it checked. Maybe that's related? I don't know. Anyhow, I went to the doctor's, and they just diagnosed me with paresthesia, but they didn't know the cause. They were going to just put me on a steroid or an anti-imflammatory, but they said to wait and come back in again if it got worse. It hasn't worsened, not that I've noticed, at least, but I am getting a bit worried. I've never heard of this for people my age.
53 yo female i had surgery for a menescus tear 1 yr ago in feb. i have not been able to stop the formation of fluid on my knee since surgery. i have had over 300 cc of fluid removed from my knee in the past yr. i have this numb tingly itchy spot on my right outer thigh. i did not notice anyone else with the fluid symptom. i am not over weight and do take meds for depression, anxiety and cholesterol. i have had over 16 weeks of phys therapy. i have seen nueroligists, pain drs and orthopadedic drs. anyone else with the fluid symptoms collecting on knee???
this pain im having on my right thigh, burning, itching, sharp pains, usually happens at night at bed time, or when im sitting with my legs out, this problem started happening about 2 months after taking methadone, i really believe these symptoms happen from medications, methadone,anxiety meds, depression meds etc....everyone on here talking about this exact pain, we all are taking some kind of medication, the last time i stopped methadone, the pain went away, now im taking methadone again and the pain came back. just my opinion guys, hope this was helpful
I have very similar symptoms to many of you.  About 5 years ago I noticed numbness in my left thigh when standing at the sink too long.  The numb spot gradually got bigger over the years, and the last 3 months the pain has gotten unbearable.  At first it was just tingling and crawling when I stood in one place to long.  Then it started burning, and then came the stabbing pains even when I lay down or sit.  Yes I'm overweight.  I got the results of my xrays, doc says arthritis in lumbar spine.  I do have constant back pain last 15 years.  Advil/ice help sometime with the low back pain, but not the leg.  Doc prescribed painkillers, but not sure about starting those.  Scheduled MRI to have a closer look, I think I might have a pinched nerve somewhere.  Will keep you posted.
I have had the numb right thigh going on for about 10 years. Went in long ago and had the nerve test. They said it is very common in overweight (which I am) people. I don't remember what the name of the condition is. They gave me some kind of pads to put on the area but like a fool I never did it and now it hurts bad all the time since I recently got a job standing up for 12 hours a day. I don't have any other issues. No back problems nothing.
I am so glad to know I am not the only one. I feel crazy trying to explain what I am going through, Mine started when I was helping one of my friends move. It began to hurt on the outside of my right upper thigh and went in a slant to the inside of my right lower thigh close to my knee. My leg is sensitive to the touch and has a burning feeling if I stand too long. I dont know what it is and dont have insurance to get it checked. Do you think I should go to the ER?
In May of 1991 I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically.  It went very well and I recovered quickly --- EXCEPT -- that within a day of that surgery I began to have burning thigh pain and tingling.  This was immediate and I was not overweight at the time.  When I went for my surgical checkup, I told the surgeon I felt great except for this problem.  He said - of course - that the surgery could not possibly have caused this  

It continued to get worse and standing for any length of time or walking became a problem.  NOW, nineteen years later I am overweight which cannot be completely blamed on the condition, but it sure did contribute.

I also found lots of information on Meralgia Parasthetica (which I am certain this is) and many people report that it began after some kind of surgery.  The nerve apparently becomes entrapped somehow - who knows - maybe because of the way you are moved about on the surgical table or where the instruments were used.  Nonetheless, I am really angry about the doctors telling everyone that this is never caused by their surgery.  Yes, it is!  Don't take that for an answer or you might still be suffering 19 years later.

Within the last couple of weeks, this now also seems to be causing  numbness and burning in my hip on the same side.  The irony of this is that the numbness and burning pain in my thigh is only relieved by sitting down when it strikes - however - the new numbness and burning (in my hip) is agonizing over night and I cannot find any comfortable position - except to get up and walk around which eventually brings on the thigh pain.  This is like a bad joke.

I know that if I see a doctor about this now, I will be told that I am overweight.  This is quite true, but it was not true 19 years ago.  I wish they would have listened then.  I was not trying to get ammunition to sue them, I just wanted help.  Either they honestly did not know of this complication then or they were avoiding acknowledging it.  Even now, most doctors go straight to the weight issue.

I am working on the weight issue, but this is not so easy when you really cannot walk or exercise much without extreme pain.  I have read articles about something called "cross frictioning massage" which might help to release the nerve, but I have not been able to find any resource for that type of massage.

The quality of my life has never been the same.  I am blessed to be able to walk and be otherwise very healthy and I try not to dwell on this, but I avoid outings, vacations, events, shopping with friends and a whole host of things that I will forever regret.  I wish I had been insistent one week after that surgery that my doctors find and attempt to fix the reason for my pain.  The fact that it happened one day post surgery when my weight was not a problem should have been important to them.  It wasn't.
hi i dont know if i have the same prob. i have only have had for one day but it is really creeping me out i was running to my friend because she needed papers i was running and the gravel under my feet moved and my anckle twisted i feel in my knee.....kinda.....we we kept on walking even thougth it hurt alot the pain was wierd i haad just a tiny scratch but it felt like it was on fire when it finally stopped burning when i got home i was looking at it and i relized that when i poked around the tiny scratch it was compketky numb and it was really wierd so i was wondering if any of you could help me
I am happy to read the many people experiencing the same symptoms but at the same time discouraged with the fact that everyone seeking answers have found none. It definitely effects quality of life and it is hard to explain to my family when I am having a bad day. Mine started on my right side size of my hand numbness and traveled to the top of my pelvis. No pain just numb went to doctor she seemed perplexed. Gave me blood test for thyroid and vitamin D and all came back normal. Went for EMG normal. My symptoms have worsened I now have numbness in my hand different daily sometimes whole hand mostly fourth and fifth finger. Left leg I experience intense burning sensation and cold sensation in foot. Also feel burning sensation in lower back top of buttocks. My GP has referred me to neurologists after reading all the post feel like a hamster running the same wheel you all have.  Will continue to read the site and hopefully someone will find a doctor with an answer. At least you have all made me feel confident that I am not losing my mind.
Do you live on farm?
I have been experiencing numbness, tingling, and an intense burning feeling and itching for approx 2 weeks now. Within a week I went to my GP as I was so startled by these symptoms and he sent me for an x ray of my lower back(this was due to the fact that I have experiences back pain in this area for approx a year now, it does not feel like a muscle strain, more a nerve type pain or fluttering)he think it may be related to my back, ie a nerve causing the numbness down the leg. I have been going crazy thinking its early MS symptoms as I have also experienced dizziness/vertigo for the past 3 years which is also another symptom. I am going back to the GP to get the x ray results tomorrow and am wondering whether he will send me for an MRI...I might request one anyway. wish me luck.
OMG my symptoms started 4 years ago as a small numb spot just above my left knee, it has now spread to my entire left thigh, always numb, then the burning started hot and cold, small spots of extreme tingling like a hot knife or bee stings, (pain about 8 out of 10) now I am a 41 year old male with a high threshhold for pain but this leaves me in agony. Now when I walk it has started to hurt all over the effected area like being scratched with an large piece of frozen ice, laying on my back at night makes it worse while laying on my side helps the burning go away, but I always have the numbness, My Dr is one of those who has never come across these symptoms before, I dont think he believed me about the numbness untill he stabbed me multiple times in my leg to check I could not feel it.
I woke up one morning and my left thigh felt numb and I had a burning sensation all the way up my thigh from my knee.  It soon went away but the next morning I woke up with the same sensation with a momentary sharp pain, like acid being poured just above the knee to the left.  The numbness remained all day with occassional burning sensations.  After several days of this I went to a chiropractor who took an xray and said it was a nerve entrapment. He noticed a slight misalignment in the spine and gave me some treatment to correct this.  Unfortunately it's not a permanent fix and requires several visits to ensure the spine remains in the correct position.
It can be expensive but worth paying a visit to a chiropractor.  The initial examination was £60 and the xray £45 and the treatment £35.  Subsequent treatments are £35 but I require 3 per week for a couple of weeks and then about 2 per week for a month.  
Let's hope it works but seems much better.  I think it was made worse when I looked at all the extreme possibilities I found on google searches and couldn't sleep with worry.
Try not to assume the worst and worry. One evening I took a sleeping tablet and had an early night and it was much better the next day with minimal effects.  Good luck everyone!!
it has been mostly comforting to read that there are many people suffering with the same sypmtoms that I am at this time and that they have not been diagnosed as a terminal illness (the thought that goes through our minds when we worry about them too much). However your comments leave me frustrated that these symptoms are not readily recognised as a specific disorder that can be easily treated.  I began to notice a small numb patch slightly above and to the left of my left knee cap about 6 years ago, as I recollect shortly after having minor surgery on my left calf to remove a mole under local anaesthetic ( maybe completely unrelated but I do recollect this symptom at that time). In the past month the numbness has spread up the front of my left thight and i have felt episodes of deeper paid located around the middle of my thigh between my knee cap and groin area.  I would rank the pain as getting up to 7 out of 10 in that it causes me alot of distress but I can still walk on it. I have recently noticed numbness and tingling in my left hand particularly my 4th and 5th  fingures. I have  been advised my my doctor to see a neurologist.  Will let you know the outcome.  Best  Regards to all...
I'm using an inversion table which has helped my back greatly  (I have a bulging disc) and have gotten a lot some sensation back in my thigh. Still have numbness and itching that seems to come and go, but different than before. Hoping this means that if there was a compressed nerve, that maybe the inversion table has (or is) releasing it.  I'm hoping in time, the nerve will get better.
My problem started with pain in my left lower back and immediately I started to feel numbness slowly travelling down my leg. The numbness extends from my waistline to my foot. I have an itchy feeling in my hip and my upper thigh feels as if it's in a vice. This has lasted for a week.
I am also undergoing the same kind of experience in my left thigh. its been 1 year of my c-section, and since that period I am having sharp pain, tingling, numbness..in upper thigh coming to my knee. I finally saw a neurologist yesterday, he wrote MRI of the thigh.. not sure what comes into that MRI.. has any one undergo an MRI of the thigh? What should I expect..
aaa
Just got thru' MRI, xray and blood testing. The doctor told that the disk in my spine is swollen and is affecting my left upper tigh everytimes it touches my nerves. That's the sharp inijecting pain that I always felt especially during climbing up staircase and sudden movement. Worse still it gets tired easily. Coming tuesday, the result is in and the review with the doctor.
This is rather surprising, I suffered an car accident about 5 years ago that left me with a broken leg and several minor scars. Thought that was most of my worries but then I eventually started gaining a slight burn on my Right SIDE of my Right leg and only cold items can calm the burning. I can't sleep because of it and when heat is introduced, OMFG does it begin to bother. Just wondering if that was what everyone else was talking about. The symptoms sound really familiar and I'm starting to think it might be a damaged nerve. Though wouldn't have doctor's detected this a long time ago? I'm really stumped. Hope someone has an answer for this.
well i have all the same symptoms.... i have kinda thought over the years tht this might have been caused from carrying my cell phone in my pants pocket..MAYBE it caused nerve damage?????

Have any of u carried ur cell phones on the leg tht is buggin u??
I have read all the comments and its good to know that I'm not nuts! I have been experiencing numbness on my left outer thigh as well as burning sensations for over 5 years. It seems to be getting worse. I'm seeing a neurologist right now, he did this test with little electic shocks on both of my legs, could feel the shocks on my right leg, but felt nothing on my left leg. I do not have a babinski reflex on my left foot, thats where your toes are supposed to curl when the Dr. runs a little baton from the heel towards the toes.

I'm overweight, but have lost 15 pounds over a couple of months, this numbness and burning is really distracting to say the least, and like most of you, at night it really hurts and can't sleep. I am a diabetic type 2 and have had several strokes since 08 and had rhuematic fever as a kid. My left thigh also has a "knot" on the outside of my skin. If I have any news from my Neurologist I will pass along to those who are experiencing the same problems.
i've had these symptoms that everyone mentions.

Mine was finally diagnosed as meralgia parasthetica after a lot of tests.

my description/symptoms:

I'm 28, F, overweight, but it didn't fade when i lost weight.  I'm not on any medications besides birth control, and have no problems in my medical history except extremely large fibroid cysts that had to be surgically removed. I've had it for the past 5 or more years, I have a desk job, but I go through periods of exercising frequently and it doesn't hurt during exercise.

.it's in my right leg, started out as a quarter size, over the past 5 years, it has expanded to a softball size.  I feel pressure under the skin, but can't feel the surface of the skin when it's being touched, sometimes it burns really bad.  Mostly when im standing still, or walking/standing/walking like in short spurts such as shopping in a store.  I now experience pain and stabbing electric sensations in my leg at night during my sleep.  I get relief from sitting down and sometimes propping my leg up and stretching it out for a little bit.

tests and conclusions:

I had several tests done, neurological, leg shock stuff, brain scans, mri, etc.  Everything came back fine, the way they finally figured it out was that my doctor pressed on my hip/pelvis bone on my right side.  it hurt like hell.  he said there is a nerve lying under that bone that is not visible in many tests like the shock tests.  I told him I thought meralgia parasthetica was only related to weight, he said that some athletes and fit people have it as well.  

treatment:

He said the only way it can be treated is to address the pain/burning issue, but that the numbness may never go away.  He suggested wearing looser fitting clothing and underwear, and to avoid underwear that are tight at the hip flexor area.  He prescribed a patch to wear for 12 hours that takes care of nerve related pain, (i forget the name, it began with an L, I haven't tried it) and another pain medicine that i hadn't tried either.  I'm saving them for days when I have to go on my feet for an extended period of time.  

i believe this is finally an accurate diagnosis.  I'm glad it's nothing worse, but it's awful that there isn't anything that can really be done for the numbness, and i hate taking pain meds.  I plan to try to lose some more weight and see if things improve.
Just wanted to post this b/c i found this site a few weeks before i went and had all the tests done, no one came to a legitimate conclusion until now, and when he pressed my hip/pelvic bone, i could see a definite (PAINFUL!) difference between my right side (where the numbness is) and my left side (no problems).  

good luck to all of you.  i know it's really not easy to deal with this... and it's frustrating that there is nothing specific that can help stop this problem.  it IS good to know that you aren't alone.
I have started the same way as most of you with a small circle on the right side of my knee.  within months it had moved to my entire thigh.  13 years later it has taken over my entire thigh and is now moving to the back of my thigh.  they did diagnosis very early as meralgia which i am glad but very little they could they do.  One thing I can tell that will help the tingling pain is a med called Topamax.  This is a mircle med that works the best.  I am on 200mg and I never have the tingling.  I do still have the intching which is driving me crazy but at least I got rid of the part of the pain.  Topamax also is a weight loss drug also which help supress your appitite too.  I do not wear tight clothes, never have, and no matter weight i was i have had this so when the doctors say anthing about weight and clothes i dismiss that.  I wish everyone luck with this because this is horrible.  
have same problem as everyone else...over a few years am 38 non smoker non drinker overweight but walk a lot have three active dogs have diabetes and have all the tests everyone else has had and xrays was diagnosed with meralgia paresthetica...so I am on lost of medicine for all the issues and this neurologists wants to reduce a med I am on gabapentin 3 times a day  at 300 mgs and start at 100mgs and work up to the higher dose that I am on now.. and take more amitriptyline...have done that and pain is worse than ever both thighs are numb on outside lowerback and right side neck and arm are starting to have same effects as well as numbing on the face and hairline...it just seems to get worse and worse and the only reason they say it is the meralgia paresthetica is cause they can't find anything else and therre is no way to prove you have meralgia paresthetica it is just what the doctors tell you when they don't what else it could be...have tried all sorts of vitamins and antidepresent medications nothing is working HELP anyone any suggestions

I'm new to this forum.  My problem started just 9 days ago!  I was sitting on a sofa with my laptop on my lap, and noticed the area, about the size of a softball, above my left knee, inner thigh.  I figured it was due to the laptop, and would go away.  Well, it only spread.  At first just in left thigh area, gradually up the thigh, and a bit around the top, and a bit below into the calf.  The same time, it showed up in my right thigh, same pattern.  No numbness in my outerthighs, knee cap, or lower legs or feet.  Then noticed it had spread within days to my groin and front of abdomen, mostly below bra line.

Three days after it started, I went to my chiropractor for first time in over a year.  He did a few quick adjustments, and said to come back in 3 days.  Well, I wasn't able to make it.  That was last Friday, this is Tuesday.  I am getting concerned, because it now seems my legs are very heavy, and it takes more effort to climb stairs, etc.  Strange other symptom, right before this started, I was coughing a lot.  Not sure if it was allergies, or what.  I felt I popped a muscle or pulled something in my upper abdomen.  Now I when I cough, I have to press in on my stomach, so it doesn't feel so tender!  This started happening within a week of the leg numbness.

I don't eat during the day, due to anxiety issues.  But I've become used to no food, which of course has me 30 lbs overweight, for the first time in my life!  I'm also a 49 yr old female, who has not had a period in over 6 months now.  I have 4 beautiful children, which is wonderful.  I also was dx with Hashimotos hypothyroidism 13 yrs ago.  My last TSH, over a year ago, was almost 3.  I'm on a tiny low dose of thyroid meds.  Need to get that checked out.

Anyhow, I also will sometimes get a few heart palps, and had one bout of atrial fibrillation 3 summers ago, due to dehydration, running around, etc.  Luckily, that has not happened since, and I have not needed any meds for it.  Only meds I take are tiny amount of xanax once or twice a day (half of a .25mg), omega 3 fish oils, and milk thistle (I have wine at night).  

I don't think it's MS, as I don't believe MS comes on this quickly.  I don't think, and hope it's not liver related, as my circulation is fine (my feet aren't cold, and I'm not retaining fluid), and my digestion seems OK.  However, this is starting to freak me out!  Luckily, I don't have any itching or pain.  However, I have noticed, when resting, sometimes some aches in my joints, esp. my inner knee, or top of thigh bone.  This may have started a few days before the numbness.  And for the past few months, when meditating/resting, have sometimes noticed a very faint, almost pulsating mild electric zing down through each leg, or in the groin area.  And for what it's work, I've got some dull aching in lower back, both sides of my lower pelvis...

Last thing, sorry...sometimes, I get a few pins and needles here and there.  I figured it could be blood sugar related.  And I do have a very mild amount of numbness in mouth area, but I've had that before, come and go...attributed it to thyroid.  I also use progesterone and estrogen cream daily.  Oh, and all body hair growth has almost totally stopped over past month (thyroid?).  But so far, hands and feet some OK.  Brain/thinking seems OK, except, I'm getting pretty down and concerned.

Thanks for any feedback.
i dont know if this is the same thing or not. but it seems to be similar. a few years ago i tripped on the steps and all of my weight was shifted on my left knee. it hurt for a long time and i could not sit on my knee or touch it without it burning like crazy. i noticed something was wrong but didnt go to the doctor. for the past few months no matter how i lay, when i wake up that leg is numb and it burns and it is itchy. it stays that way for a few hours after i get up. but then it goes away. any advice?
For all of you who have a knot, lump ect, go and get a biopsy on it, do not take no for an answer, I have Leiomyosarcoma (cancer) and was told on a constant basis not to worry about it. By the time I saw a surgeon who knew it wasn't a cyst I had stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma. Just saying you have to be pro-active and not count on Dr's to know for sure.......Good Luck and God Bless
I have the same symptoms. The right side of my right thigh is partially numb all the time. When I lay down it burns like fire. I am overweight and 20 years old. I also expirience the sharp pains. When it is not burning It feels like a huge bruise but it looks completely normal. I am going to a doctor asap.
same symptoms that i have.  the outside of my right thigh goes numb.  it feels just like a Novocaine shot that the dentist gives.  and when when i start to get my feeling back it feels just like a Novocaine shot wearing off as in tingly, and warm like new blood is rushing into the area that was numb.
I'm 35, male. I have the same symptoms EXCEPT that my weird spot started in my right foot, not my thigh or knee. And, all of the burning and itching is in my foot and calf. Also, the front of my calf along the bone hurts, like someone hit me with a baseball bat in one of those gangster movies.
I've never had major surgery, but I did have some lipomas removed in 2000.
But aside from the area of the leg, I seem to have the same symptoms as a lot of people seem to be going through.
Except my skin all over is a lot more sensitive than it used to be-not just on my leg. I bruise easily, even though the bruises don't usually last very long. And if I get a scratch on any part of my skin, it lasts sometimes more than a week or two. My skin started changing around 4 years ago or so, when I started getting bruises. Before that, I literally never bruised, so I really noticed it.

I was woken up last night after just an hour of sleep with my leg feeling like someone dipped my calf in acid and fleas. Just this horrible itching, burning sensation. It was a cold night, so I had out my blanket, but the feeling of that on my calf just made it worse. I went to the ER because this was the first time it woke me up (as opposed to just keeping me awake), and their answer was to first tell me that I needed to explain it better (I'm not sure how I can get any better than saying it felt like someone gouging my skin with their fingernails), then giving my two Loritabs to take home. There have been times in my life where I've had pain so bad I would have killed for a Loritab, but this isn't one of them. It's not a pain. It's a "pain" - one of those things that I just don't know how to get across to them.
I'm wearing a sock on the foot right now, and the pressure seems to help, but I get swelling in this leg, and have to take my socks off to help relieve it, which really doesn't help the "waking up" feeling at all.
I do get numbness, but it's feels tender and cold at the same time, and I get a lot of cold spots on my foot.

I had a blood clot in a superficial vein about six years ago in this calf, but these symptoms didn't start until just a few months ago.

The only medication I take is Benadryl as needed for recurring hives. I am over weight, and I have been trying to quit smoking (I call myself a part-time smoker now, because I seem to go a few days without smoking, then start again for a few days).

I was diagnosed with Raynaud's syndrome last year after my hands and feet lost a lot of circulation for over an hour. It's happened more than a few times since, but my doctor doesn't seem interested in finding what's causing it.

I have had off an on back and hip pain since 1997, but it's been almost constant for months now.

I've tested negative for both Lupus and RA (after telling my doctor I wanted to see a Rheumatologist-My doctor should have been the one to think of that).

I have had symptoms of restless leg syndrome, but I've never received a diagnosis of it. I've had it so bad sometimes that my leg has flown out of bed, and slammed my foot into the floor, and the rest of me was left wondering what it was trying to escape from.

And, last August I contracted Coxsackievirus B. My allergist thinks is was from eating at a fast food place, and maybe someone there had it-though, he couldn't tell me why I was affected by it, as a lot of people have it but are never actually made sick. It's what originally caused my hives, but I was told it should be out of my system by now, so I have no idea why my hives keep returning. And I have no idea if that virus, or the hives, or the smoking or anything else is making the burning and itching worse or caused it to begin with.
Oh, and I get small red bumps that appear on the front of my calf sometimes when the burning itch gets really bad. They aren't big enough or close together enough to be my hives, but they itch. And they start to disappear when the burning itch in my calf and foot goes down. Most of them, anyway.

I've also had bad pain in my upper thigh, near my groin. I've had it sometimes so bad that I can't walk without a cane, because it hurts even if I only put a little pressure on it. It's not constant thankfully, but I have had it many times, and in both legs. My left leg has some of the same symptoms of that "waking up" feeling, but no where near as bad.
By the way, I do NOT live on a farm.

And I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but I've been getting a lot of weird headaches while this leg problem has been getting worse. They feel like I'm constantly wearing a hat that's two sizes too small. No idea if they're related to my leg burning or not, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is experiencing the same type of thing.
I just had an MRI on Monday (it's Wednesday as I'm writing this) to see in anything in my brain is causing the headaches. Haven't gotten the results back yet.
Wow lots of people with the same issue. Mine started when i was pregnant, it actually went away after birth but has since come back again, it wakes me up in the night and i have to rub the hell out of my right thigh to get some sort of relief. sux big time!!!!!
So glad I found this page, I feel reassured now. I am pregnant and my numbness that I've experienced for years has turned to a burning sensation if I stand for longer than 10 minutes at a time.
I will mention it to the midwife next time I see her but guess I'll just cross my fingers that it will go back to numbness after I give birth!

I might be worth mentioning that I have hip displacia as someone here said that the possible pinched nerve could be in the pelvic area. Hip displacia in humans doesn't seem to be all that commonly known about but maybe some of the posters here have this condition and are not aware. I found out about mine when I had an X-Ray on my hips when we were trying to find out the reason for the stabbing pain and other aches I was getting in my left leg. I was most likely born with hip displacia but it only started to affect me in my twenties.

There are physio programmes for people with hip displacia, so it's worth finding out whether you have this.

I hope to have been of some help as you have all helped me!!
I have the same symptoms that you are all describing here. It's my right thigh on the outer side. It is usually numb to the touch. I can't feel it if I run my fingers over it or even when I shave. It itches on the inside (if that makes sense) all of the time and it drives me crazy! I find that if I rub it really hard with my thumb it sort of massages some feeling back into it, but at the same time I get shooting pains that feel like a nerve. I've never been to the doctor for this. I mentioned it once while @ the doc for something else and he simply said, "hmm, I don't know what that would be" and did nothing!
For me, I first noticed numbness in one small area on my rt mid thigh about 5 yrs ago, I went to a chiropractor for 3-4 mths & it completely went away, however a little over month ago, I started getting the exact same numbness again in the same area, but now its extremely painful to the touch, i get sharp stabbing pain, at times it's  itchy,  I've noticed a few very fine & tiny varicose veins, the area feels warm, the whole thigh is numb & at times the pain wakes me up at night or if I'm sitting or laying in bed,  I have to get up & move & it helps a little, but my leg always stays numb.  And it even feels like my upper thigh is swollen! I'm just frustrated cause I feel like it will get worse!!!
I have the same condition also, upper right thigh, just off to the right numbness with surrounding burning sensation. I am overweight, however i find its somewhat seasonal, it troubles me more in fall and spring.

No MRI/tests really of any kind,  I find relief by gentle heat of the surrounding tissue, low setting on a hair dryer, be careful you don't burn yourself.
I have the exact same problem! Pain was getting worse, to the point where some days I just want to cry. I went to the doc a couple of years ago, who said I just need to lose weight. I told the doc that I've been going to the gym and eat healthy and can't lose weight. Fast forward 2 years, still couldn't lose weight and was getting sicker and sicker. Turns out my thyroid is stuffed. Great! Doc Stilk thinks I need to lose weight. What I don't understand is, if I'm lying down the pressure on my leg is less, so why is the pain and numbness often worse? Anybody found any answers for this stupid leg thing yet?
I have similar symptoms,  and so did my cousin some years ago. She is now in a wheelchair with multiple sclerosis.

http://ms.about.com/u/ua/signssymptoms/user_numbness.htm
The doc I went to told me that I need to lose weight when I told him about the burning sensation that started on my thigh. Since then, I have lost 10 pounds and the symptoms have gotten worse from tingling to itchiness to burning n numbing.. and progressed into prolonged numbing of the outer right knee and stiffening of the muscle by the knee. I though that this might b the begining stages of atrophy (not sure of the spelling). I hate going to doctors because in my personal experiences, all I ever get from them is "I don't know. Where do u think this is stemming from? Are you stressed?" oh and my personal fave, "Do u want a PAP smear?" like... (and excuse my french but) ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME. Is THIS what I'm paying u for?? If I knew the answer WOULD I ******* BE HERE??? sorry.. I'm so frustrated on so many levels with these doctors.. ughh
well..... I  have the exact same symptoms,I rarely go to doctors,it's usually to hospitals if it becomes an issue,with that being said EXERCISE ,for 3 weeks this has been happening,I believe it's because of vitamins I've been taking, I'm not overweight ,again it's the med effect,but when I work the muscle God intervenes in the name of Jesus,this seems to be a situation not a problem,there is sure relieve in Jesus, stay prayerful in his name,God is a GREAT healer ,don't concern yourself with matters of the body ,but the spirit,fear not, just pray and have faith in the healing power,the Lord will let you know when to seek med attention .love you all,peace.
The questionaire thing is great! My husband has the same problem on right upper thigh going down? Put up an 11th question, Who is right handed the left handed what also should is find out who drinks also while taking meds. I wamt an answer for him. I can not do anything for him I can not even touch his leg. We hae to find a solution somehow we have to work together.
I am also experiencing a numbness above my knee on my outer thigh. It only begins to burn when I've been up walking around for long periods of time but the numbness does have a faint itching sensation to it and is very uncomfortable and frustrating. I am only 21 years old, I weight 251 lbs and am 5'9" so I am overweight but not terribly so. I worked a job in the past that kept me off my feet all day but when I started my job at the Wal-mart as a stocker that was when the numbness began and soon began to grow to cover most of my outer thigh on my right leg (but not the left one). I assumed that like my sore feet it would just be something that would stop once my body adjusted to the more active lifestyle, but that was not the case. I haven't gained weight, I've actually lost over 20lbs since starting the new job. I don't wear very tight clothes and regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me to be on my feet for long periods, I work 9 hours a night on my feet so I'm pretty active but the feeling in my thigh persists. As far as other conditions, I don't take any medication for anything, I've never had surgery, and the only other health concern that I have (apart from being overweight) is that my heart is growing faster than it should and heart problems run in my family but I would think that would be unrelated.
I bought a self warming peppermint scrub for my feet recently (it was only less than $3 for a tube of it) and while scrubbing my feet with it I decided to try using some of it on my leg just as a long shot. It did sooth the burning and itching sensations for at least a few hours so a few hours of relief is well worth the minute or so of scrubbing and massaging the area. From the comments here as well as the information from a page on Meralgia paresthetica (as per the commented recommended reading) it seems that though I've been losing weight that may still be one of the causes so I think that I am going to try a diet in addition to my new more active lifestyle. Hopefully getting myself in better shape will help.
I hope that this information is helpful to someone out there and hopefully all of you find yourselves some relief.
I feel your pain, this too has been bothering me, it first started on my left shoulder and upper back area about 3 years ago and now for about 4 months on my right outer thigh. When it happened to my back my doctor suggested it might be shingles so I looked it up on the internet and the symptoms matched. I've changed doctors since then so now on curious to see what my new physician will diagnose it as.  I hope this was some comfort and helpful info.

The nerves in your body bring information to the brain about the environment (sensory nerves) and messages from the brain to activate muscles (motor nerves). To do this, nerves must pass over, under, around, and through your joints, bones, and muscles. Usually, there is enough room to permit easy passage.

Swelling, trauma, or pressure can narrow these openings and squeeze the nerve. When that happens, pain, paralysis, or other dysfunction may result.
I have the EXACT same thing.... through my pregnancies and now I am 50+ and have the same problem as you exactly on my right side.  I spoke to the doctor and he also said it's due to weight and I need to lose weight.  I cant even walk properly with the pain in my lower back as well.  I wish someone could find out what this is?
hello i am new here i have the same itching and burning and coldness on my upper outer left leg. it has been this way for over a month everyday at work it gets worse. and with these symptoms i have gained weight and have been getting very tired like as in i have been falling asleep typing this comment. i am 22 and i know something is not right here i stand over 10 hours a day at work but i have worked there 3 years and it has just started a little over a month ago i wish i knew where to start as in what signs and symptoms to look for. i wil check back in in a few days i really need to get this tooken care of so i could run and play with my son. thank you all
I have the same symptoms, consulted with a neurosurgeon and was told it was a bulging disc which was touching the main nerve near my spine - which runs down my leg. I recently had surgery to stop the pain and different sensations - which shaved the bulging disc -however they are unaware how long it will take for the sensations to stop. I just had the surgery 4 days ago and the sensations have actually worsened but I was told it would be gradual. I am only 22yrs old and the surgeon said an operation was not necessary as the pain could vanish, however he also said the pain and numbness could worsen and that There was a possibility I could lose control of my bowels. Also a chance that my movement and reflexes could become restricted and never regain full control. So I decided to go ahead with the surgery - so far I'm hopeful. This process has took approximately 10months - so I can't imagine how difficult it must be for others who have suffered years. I'm eager to hear other stories and have decided to write my story in a blog. Any comments would be appreciated - please email. ***@**** thanks danielle
Yelly,

I understand where you are coming from.  I'm 23 and I have 3 bulging discs, 1 ruptured, moderate arthritis, degenerative disc disease, neuropathy and carpal tunnel.  Like others said itching, burning, extreme stabbing sensations, sometimes mine will feel bruised but it is on my outer thigh about 6'' from my knee....this compared to what else is wrong with me is just a nuisence.

Yelly because you are 22 and have only one bulging disc, I don't want you to end up like me, I thought I was in pain when I was 18, it's nothing compared to the pain I have now, every minute of everyday I suffer, you need to stretch every morning while you can, look into "Tiger Balm" you can get it at Walgreens or a grocery store, Walmart, it helps.  Not sure if you have had an ct scan or MRI, if not definitely do so and although your symptoms aren't quite like mine DO NOT let the surgeons keep ripping you open, they used my mother for money and to test treatments and they made her issues so much worse, scar tissue build up and just overall terrible pain they inflicted, but look into shots, I haven't had them yet because I don't think I can be helped but I'm willing to try.  I'm really sorry but I want you to be prepared for the worst, Do your knees hurt?  If so think of how old you were when it started..a lot of times if you have knee pain it's from your disc, I avoid physical therapy because it killed my mom and I almost punched the guy in his face, it doesn't seem to work and DO NOT lift anything heavy and avoid picking up anything moderately heavy like a trash bag or gallon of milk, my mom lifted a light trash bag at 28, she was done...downhill from there, for me it was turning off the shower...so be very careful, you have to remind yourself all the time or eventually the pain wont let you forget...please, do this.

My problems started when I was 15, arthritis and a bad disc, it's genetic...my mother is 56 and I have the pain she had at 45 at 23, it's bad...sometimes I want to commit suicide but I wont, I cry and scream.    I was very lucky to have found a doctor that cares, when he saw my charts he couldn't believe it, 3 bulging, 1 ruptured, neuropathy, degenerative disc disease, advanced arthritis, sciatica, carpal tunnel and my knees/feet feel like they are broken.  I am on 150 oxycodone 15mg, 90 somas and xanax to help me sleep...in the past 3 months it has gotten so much worse, I don't wish this on anyone...my life has been destroyed, I can't work, any money I made is under the table...my mother and I are alone in this world, we have gone hungry for a week at a time, my addict father stopped paying the mortgage and moved in with his mom so he could fulfil his desire, the mortgage hasn't been paid in 2 yrs, and we have no where to go once we get the foreclosure letter, we're in default...we have no one and nothing...she had to get 2 payday loans to keep the electric on and feed us, then get another payday loan to pay for the other 2 loans, she paid on them but they took her entire check this month, we have nothing, no food, not a dollar to our name...for the record, people disgust me, they are cruel and uncaring...even broke I still donate, I don't understand how one can stand by and witness the hunger and homeless.

I asked a millionaire who I thought was a friend if I could borrow just a few hundred bucks so the water/electric will stay on and to get food, he said he doesn't lend money...I paid the internet before she got her ssd check, was all my money but it HAS to be on, the business I did start could get me money, but it only means we made it another month, the business is profitable but only if you have money to start with, There is no hope for me and my mom, we have no where to go but there is hope for you....take care of yourself please, eat right, light yoga, NO lifting, when you bend over, bend your knees, I don't want anyone let alone a young person who hasn't had time to build a life go through this kind of suffering..I wish you the best of luck.
Hi mate, just read your post....I really feel for you & I too feel your pain
My story is
I have 3 bulging discs, disc degeneration & carpal tunnel......Im sure there's more as my whole body hurts, but Im not a fan of docs.
I am 41, mother of 3, 2x10yrs & 1x15yr old. We live in a house with the very bare necessaties, no lounge, dining, washing machine etc etc, my husband is living away to try earn money for us to survive so I havent seen him in over a month now & not sure when.......I dont even know how we will do xmas this year.
I had a numb spot on my leg when preg with the twins, figured it was nerve, at the beginning of the year I had emergency surgury to take out my fallopian tubes cause I started to rupture it with an ectopic pregnancy.....this is where it all started, I did put on 10kgs but I struggled healing & then had a cat scan to show what they thought at first was a tumour on my adrenal gland, only for closer investigation discovered an enlarged vein on my adrenal glad....for the last few months my whole right thigh has gone numb, pain, tingling, burning & itching extending from my hip to the outer side of my knee. I feel I have had some digestive probs too in the last 8 months. My left hip has been sore to touch like its been bruised so sore to touch but no sign of bruising.
Just reading through so many of these posts we all seem to have alot in common as to symptoms, but we really dont seem to have answers.
I know things can get tough & I too have thought about ending the suffering, but if we can help others as well as our selves find answers & or treatments that work, then thats what we should try to achieve, because I would hatge for more ppl to suffer like we are. Good luck everyone stay strong & keep searching
What you are experiencing is more along the lines of Bursitis. look into that. The thing everyone else is talking about is much different and i have the same condition but undiagnosed.
It's amazing how inept our medical professionals can be.  I understand that spinal issues are difficult to diagnose but it just seems that very few doctors know how to address this issue of numbness in the thigh region.
Here's my story:  About 2 years ago I went in for an injection into the disc that had bulged to eliminate the unbelievable pain in my hip and back.  It worked... for a while.  Now, my problem is the numbness in the front thigh.  I can hike, but I can't walk or stand for any length of time.  Inversion tables don't help, I can't seem to stretch the area to gain any relief, and massages are almost too painful due to the lying flat on the table.
After the injection, when I would walk down the street, it felt like one foot would "Klop".  I always thought that my hips were out of alignment but couldn't afford to see a chiropractor to determine if that were the case.
I've got a great doctor who's a family friend so I don't have to go through all the crap associated with typical hospital protocol that makes you jump through a bunch of steps before you can get the core issue addressed.  UNFORTUNATELY,  now my health coverage is gone so I screwed.  Luckily I can get advise and prescriptions from my doctor without the coverage.  I'm getting ready to start a treatment of Prednisone to see if that helps.
I'll let you know if it works.
Stay strong ya'll.
S.
I'll let you know if it works.
Stay strong ya'll.
S.
Symptoms same as everyone else except not over weight.  I always have my blackberry in my right front pocket.  I'm trying my left side for now on.  Also, I always sleep on right side so will try to vary more.
Will advise if anything better.
Hey Guys!
I fell so much better knowing that im not the only one facing this. My right thigh is always burning and it starts in the winter. When im wearing something over it such as a blanket or even jeans i start to have an extreme burning sensation. the sad part is is that im only 14 YEARS OLD GIRL and im worrying about what this is! ive told my mom about this but she said it will go away because its probably just dry skin. its obiously not dry skin, mom. if anyone, ANYONE knows what this is and how to help it, please help!
Its called Bernhardt Roth syndrome
I have had 6 cervical spine fusions. I have arthritis in my low back mostly caused by 7 years of having a herniated disk in my neck. Due to a doctor looking only at my low back. Told me I have congenital spinal stenosis and needed to lose weight and exercise that was in 1992. Now 6 neck surgeries and then a  bone tumor removed from my skull. I have nerve damage on head and nerve damage in neck. I started having all the leg symtoms (symptoms) about 4 years ago. I have been told I need Knee replacement. Had Mri and Myelogram done and according to the doctor came back alright for me....Not sure what that means. Sent me to Knee Doctor and wants to send me to neurologist since he is neurosurgeen. I do get  B12 shots every month and I can tell if I do not get it when I am supposed to. Get muscle cramps in hands and feet. I take Neurontin...its a anti seizure medication that helps patients with problems with nerve damage. Same family as Lyrica but less side affects. My father was diagnosed with Neuropothy in his legs and his symptoms are the same tingling burning and numbness and pain. He takes the same medication but his is a stronger dose. Maybe this is nerve damage that we are all describing.
It's been a while since your post but did you ever find out what was wrong?
I have numbness in my fingers in both hands and now in my right leg but my leg burns and then feels cold. Also it gives out on me sometimes and I almost fall. I am seeing a chiropractor who says I have a subluxation in my neck it's been two weeks with treatments three times a week and I still feel the same..Im not sure if a chiorpractor is what I need. I think I need to get a second opinion . Any advice would be great ..thanks
Has anyone tried a chiorpractor ? I have numbness in all my fingers not my thumbs for about 7 months now. X-rays show a little disk degeneration and a little arthritis . The doc told me to see a chiorpractor . Well I have been to a chiorpractor 3 times a week for 3 weeks now with no relief only getting worse. I am now having numbness and weakness in my right leg with burning sensation . I'm not sure I have much faith in chiorpractors well not for this anyway. I am going back to the doctor and demand more test because I can't live like this . This is stressing me out and I can't focus on anything but what's going on in my body.  I am 39 , good health, social drinker ( every other month wine with friends ). Maybe 20 lbs over weight  I don't have any other problems health wise.  Any  advice about chiorpractors would be appreciated ...
I too have the same problem it started 2weeks ago and it started with me having a scratch on my right thigh above my knee but I started to notice that I could not feel me itching and then it started to go up to my upper thigh and itch but at the same point it burns like I cut my leg open or got scratches but I also can't feel me scratching it so it is really getting on my nerves. But the pain just feels like I got a Charlie horse in my leg but I can't get it to go away it will last for a couple hours but I have to sit down it won't let me stand on it. I have all these bruises on my leg too with dents it just looks like there is something wrong because my left leg does not have dents or bruises. But for the last 2 months before my leg started even doing this I have had really bad pelvic pain where I can't walk and I can't breath or I can't sit down. I would go to the doctor and ask them what is wrong they would tell me it would be my panceras and then that checks out ok and then they tell me it is a sist on my pelvic. Then they would tell me I would be fine but I ant. I still have the really bad pelvic pain and now I got the really bad leg cramps with the itching and the burning and numbness. So where do I go from here.  
I have the same symptoms as many of you-pain in front thigh, itching, numbness...Went to ER once...they found nothing...went to physician...said I probably had sciatica or SI Joint Misalignment...gave me exercises and muscle relaxant...nothing helps...
I think it might be related to Ibuprofen overdose....When my back pain was at its peak, I was taking an enormous amount of Ibuprofen...I didn't care...just wanted the pain to go away...I really think I overdosed...I have read the symptoms on the Internet...anyway, when I woke up the next morning, my left thigh was numb and it hasn't gone away...I read that one of the side effects of Ibuprofen can be numbness..How to fix this...I don't know...I have tried exercises, vitamins, stretching, inversion board...not much difference...Good luck to everyone and please post here if you find relief.
Hi, I have some similar symptoms, did you ever get an accurate diagnosis and treatment?

Mngleits@ yahoo.com
I too have started experiencing these symptoms. Right now, as I type this, I feel a burning sensation on the outside of my left-leg. When I stand there's a shart pain right in this area. I have to rub it, in order to stand. When I get up in the morning, the pain is still there, and once again I must rub it to be able to stand. There is moderate numbness in this area,just below the knee, on outside of left leg,and goes down about about 6 0r 7 inches.The numbness seems to be "spreading" around to the back of the leg.

Sometimes there's pain, just below my knee-cap, which makes walking uncomfortable. I usually take Aleve for this,but of late it's not helping much.

I too have this burning, itching, numb, tingling pain. Mine is in my upper right thigh area. I have had this for about 15 yrs but I've never been to the doctor with it. In just the past few days, its gotten 10 times worse. I'm beginning to get a little worried. Should I go to the doctor or will he just tell me its something I'm just going to have to live with. I'm only 26 yrs old, not overweight, and in good health.
I haveen been complaining about the same think for 2 weeks now. I have the same symptoms in my right leg. I am not overweight,  but do have lymphedema in my right leg, so am constantly worried about this leg. Hoping it's a pinched nerve, has anyone tried a chiropractor?
Amazing to find all of you out there with the same ailment. Sounds like we need to start a Facebook support group ASAP.

Like most everyone else: upper right thigh numbness, burning, tingly pain with itchy sensation that feels like bugs on my skin. The itchy buggy feeling made worse by laying down on back, but cannot lay on affected side due to pain. Standing over 5 minutes is painful with numbness down the leg. Tight jeans or any binding from sitting too long, squatting or pressure is very uncomfortable.

My medical conditions are pre-diabetic, hypothyroidism and severe sleep disorder. 40 years old and have had this gradually increasing for 3+ years. Have regular chiropractic visits and he thinks bursitis, but after reading all these posts I will present this new information.  

Dead serious about a Facebook forum where we can all keep in contact easier. If you're interested in this idea email me with ideas and a name for the page. knottylizzie @ gmail .com
Interesting...I have been on a very similar detox diet and seeing a chiorpractor for about 5 weeks. For the past three days I have been experiencing EXCRUCIATING sensations on the right side of my chest (had R breast removed due to cancer 28 years ago at 35). This area has always been numb since the surgery. The sensations feel like EXTREAM itching, burning, crawling and occasional powerful electric shock sensation. It is much worse in the evening and during the night. Last night was a good nigh, the pain only woke me up three times. I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance last year after losing 14 lbs. I weighed aprox. 115 at the time. I am still having digestive problems. Hoping the detox and extensive blood and saliva tests will shed some light on the problem. Suspect I have a general immune problem affecting more than one system including thyroid. The sensations I am experiencing are unbearable. I am praying it will be over fast!!
I am having a hard time processing this info so many people with the same problem.I simply searched for," numbness, sometimes cold sometimes hot burning sensation in upper right thigh). It usually happens while sleeping !! Can be very painful at times, It has started waking me at night. I am 52 yr old man 20 year Army Infantry Veteran now retired from Army, I do have back issues however these freezing/burning spots started about 2 - 3 yrs ago. How can something so common remain un-diagnosed for so long.We have so many brilliant minds in the medical community I dont understand !!    
I am 36 yrs old and I am facing the same problem with thigh numb and itchy feeling. I went to Chinese Medical Centre to seek help. The doctor i a professor from China University, told me that my i need Acupuncture treatment and take some chinese medicine. Strangely after 1st treatment, my numbness that night reduce by 70%. now after 2 week, i can only feel slight numb (about 10%). I still haven't finish the medicine yet. Just want to share with all of you guys having this nightmare problem. now i can sleep soundly at night. Give it a try. Its cheep and fast. it only 1/2 hours.
JUST READ WHAT YOU HAD WRITTEN A WHILE BACK INQUIRING IF ANYONE HAD THE SENSATION OF BLOOD VESSELS POPPING, ETC.  YOU SAID THAT NO ONE HAD MENTIONED THAT PARTICULAR SYMPTOM ALONG WITH THE OTHERS (NUMBNESS, PAIN, ITCHINESS)  WELL, I HAVE ALL OF THE ABOVE, BUT ESPECIALLY NOTICEABLE, WAS THE BLOOD VEESSELS SEEMING TO BE POPPING UDER MY SKIN WHICH WOULD HAPPEN WHEN I WOULD BE GETTING ONTO MY BED.  THIS WAS MORE PRONOUNCED WHEN THE NUMBNESS FIRST BEGAN.  I ALSO, UNFORTUNATELY, HAD MY APPENDIX BURST AT THE SAME TIME I HAD STARTED FEELING THE THIGH NUMBNESS AND PAIN, ETC. AND IT JUST COMPLICATED A VERY PAINFUL EXPERIENCE WITH THE COMPLICATION OF PERITONITIS.  I STILL HAVE TO SEE MY INTERNIST.  THE SURGEON DID NOT SEE A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE THIGH AND THE APPENDICITIS OR PERITONITIS.  
  I have the same problem. I am overweight and was told by a back surgeon that the nerves for that part of the leg comes through the front of the pelvis. When you are overweight, it presses on the nerves and causes the problem.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm not overweight and I've had the same problem for years in my top left thigh. I'm even in the PT/rehab business, and I haven't gotten any answers. My theory is that it has something to do with landing on my tailbone when I was 14 (I'm now 32 and it started when I was in my early 20's). I have slight numbness just under the skin, and in the morning it burns/itches like crazy for the first hour or so after I get up. Right now, it actually hurts to the touch, but the numbness is still present. Even the chiros and PT I work with have no idea, just theories. Oh well, it is what it is.
I had this but it was reflex sympathetic dystrophy
Sounds like you might have fibromyalgia.  Symptoms of this is muscle aches, fatigue, sleep problems,  trouble concentrating  and if your memory is not only bad, but is kind of embarrasing because its so bad, I'd put my money on it being FM. The pain in your upper leg, numbness and pain is probably caused by a pinched nerve.
I was wondering if the doctor found your problem with the MRI scan.
I have the same feelings except in both legs and feet and no answer.  My feet swell up and down and i've had this ******** for 2 months and can't walk so I hear ya! These doctors are stupid!
ok so i'm not the only one who has this...i get numbness, a cold feeling, and stabbing pains in my right uppper thigh.  this started when i was 16 and working in a retail clothing store and i squatted down to pick something up and i felt a pop in my hip and then numbness.  though my issue is not constant it only seems to happen when i'm sitting up right and have my legs straight out in front of me or when i'm laying on my back with my knees apart and usually goes away if i reposition myself or get up and walk.  
I am not overweight (actually, I love my weight) but my pain is in my left leg below my knee but it does not itch. It is just a tingy/ numbness that takes a while to get rid of. I do not have any other health issues nor do I take any medicine. I did make an appointment with my primary care doctor because now I am getting scared because it comes and goes.
well i also have the same problem but its in my left outer thigh. i get numbness burning coldness and tingleing but i learned to ignore it as i do not like going to the doctor, but my husband and parents kept bugging me about going to get checked out. they kept talking about it and it started to get worried so i decided to go to the doctors. they told me it was a nurve problem that comes from my lower back and said its probably swollen i hope this helps.
I have been haveing this feeling of stinging in my legs like im being attacked by fleas or some insect only when standing in place every since i was a little girl, my mother thought i was telling lies and trying to get out of doing the dishes but the truth is i still have that problem to this day and i have no idea what it could be. Its been about 15 years this has gone on. Anybody got any ideas? please help. dont know how often i will check on here so feel free to shoot me an email. thanks. heather_phillips2005***@****
I have same issue. It's on my Left thigh above my knee.

I have read through a lot of symptoms on this site and yours was curious because you mentioned you also have suffered from an upper digestion problem.
I too have recently had this but indigestion and acid reflux runs in my family so didn't think much about it. However, sometimes when I eat I feel like I can't digest for hours and I am bloated and in pain for hours afterwards.

In relation to the left thigh, I have noticed symptoms about a year ago. I was walking my dog and his leash got tangled with another dogs leash and cracked sharply against my left thigh above the knee. What resulted was a large raised bruise that hurt for weeks afterwards. Once healed though it started to itch and get a cold/burning/ numbing sensation. I havent experienced the pain symptoms but everything else.

I also experience occasional lower back pain and have thrown my back out several times.

I am not overweight (5'4" and 130 lbs) but I don't stretch often enough or exercise often enough.

I haven't seen a dr especially after reading how unhelpful they are. Western medicine is so limited and closed minded to other possibilities. I wonder if dietitians could help, or Chinese medicine, or acupuncture. Has anyone tried alternatives to western medicine?
Google Arteriosclerosis of the extremities. Good Information.Hope it
works.Relax.Check for Natural Home Remedies.If on medication,Get advice from Doctor. http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Arteriosclerosis.html#faq is one website.Good Luck.
I think there are more of us out here than you think.  I have been dealing with this for 5 years with no firm diagnosis.  Even blankets hurt to lay on my legs even though they are numb.  I was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago so all tests have been aimed towards that but with no good answer.  I hope one of us will see a positve post before we naw our own leg off.  Good luck in your search. We are all right there with you hoping for something positive.
I have had the same symptoms, numb/ burning right thigh, going to see a doctor tomorrow, but from what everyone has said, not sure he will be of much help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meralgia_paraesthetica, this seems to explain the symptoms.
I too have these symptoms...with artificial knees and hips I worried it was a complication with those. But now, I wonder if there isn't a more universal answer. I would like to stay posted on this.
Your symptoms read exactly like mine. I am a 52 year old male with overall good health and fitness.  I had a severe herneated disc btw c6/c7   about 8 years ago.  Have no idea if thats related to the symptoms of the itchy numb thigh.  I have similar symptoms in my left hand that I am told are a direct result of the spine injury but they are more numb than itchy burning.  Anyway. it is nice to know that I am not alone.  Thanks for posting.
I too, have the same symptoms, left leg, from knee up to thigh. 1st thing Dr. did was take x-rays of both my hips, and back. Next day results showed--I have 2 vertebrae compressed together, pinching a nerve. He said I have very bad bones, and wants me to get an MRI done to see just how extensively my bones are affected, but I can't afford it. He also said the numbness, pain, etc. may go away on it's own or it may stay with me, and if my symptoms cause me to not live a normal getting around daily--then I should get in touch with him------asap.   I have a family friend going through the same thing--------and he has started Physical Therapy.  Good luck............
I have the same numbness and burning in right thigh as described in most of these posts.  The difference is I can tell you exactly when it happened and the circumstances that seemed to start this sensation in my right thigh.  I work on the North Slope, Alaska and was outside in some hash cold (over -80F with the windchill) and my right leg was feeling cold to the bone if you know what I mean.  I got in the truck and warmed up but when I got back to shop the numbness persisted but I did not think too much about it at th etime figuring it would go away.  Then on top of this, that evening when I got back to living quarters I did some weightlifting and was doing the leg press.  Nothing really hurt at the time and my leg did feel better from earlier.  That night when I went to bed I did notice kind of a numb sensation but just went to sleep.  I actually woke up at 2AM yelling in pain from the burning and numbness I felt in right thigh.  I thought I was going to see some skin damage from the cold but there never was, it was like the cold drove deep into my muscle tissue but did not cause any skin damage?  I walked down the hall to our Medical Dept. and talked to the PA there.  He told me without the skin damage he would rule out frostbite and I pretty much agreed.  He asked me if I did anything strenuous throught the day and I told him I did the leg press in the gym.  He gave me some strong Ibuprofen tablets and said maybe I strained something in my leg.  Some history:  I have always had very large muscular legs and set lifting records when I played football in college on this lift.  I think the combination of the exposure to extreme cold with the combination of lifting some heavy weight is why I have this condition which has been over a month now.  I thought it would get better but the reason I am here right now is because I woke up in the night and leg was burning.  I think I damaged some nerves or something but have not been to a real doctor for diagnosis which sounds pointless after reading so many posts here?  I am turning fifty next month and I am to heavy for my height but my build is very thick with lots of muscle mass.  I work out on a regular basis both cardio and weights.  This leg thing has really started bothering me...  I am open to suggestions :)
For the past 6 months or so, I have had the same numbness, itching, sharp jabbing pains, and tingling that most of you are describing.  Within the past two months I have had problems with my lower back and hips to the point where I can't walk at times.  I have not brought up the numbness to a doctor yet, but I did have a x-ray for the pain and found that I have narrowing and thin discs at L3 and L4.  I read one other post that said they had problems with that same area.I'm started to believe that it's a pinched nerve or at least related to the lower back issue.  However, if it spreads any further, I'm afraid it will affect the way I walk from now on.  Strange that doctors don't know what it is?? At least I know I'm not alone.
yes same symptoms and i am overweight
yes same symptoms and i am overweight
i have burning feeling,numbness and itchy feeling all over the thigh.I was referred to a specialist that ordered an MRI of pelvic,lumbar area.Results were avascular necrosis of the hips and narrowing of the lower lumbar area near L45.My orthopedic dr. is ready to take the hip out and replace it.I have an appt.tommorrow with primary care to descuss why I lost total control of specific muscles in my right leg.Cannot do heel raise test and my knee buckles when standing too long.I guess my quads are weak.I have walked with my foot pointed outward for almost two years to compensate.Things are catching up to me quick.
have you had an MRI yet
I suddenly had a very numb right thigh, with pain on the outside edge about a month ago. It has gotten progressively worse. It sometimes feels itchy like I have threads hanging onto it (where there are none) and burning pins and needles-like pain. I am a 48 yr old woman with type one diabetes (insulin dependent since I was young), and have had diabetic neuropathy for about ten years in my feet and hands. This feels different though, as it's my thigh, and the calf isn't involved at all.
I have chronic problems with my spine, especially my C spine, and I do have type one Osteogenesis Imperfecta. (brittle bone disease with 50+ fractures in my history so far.)They have also queried MS in my past, as I've had lesions on my spine in at least two instances detected by MRI's when I had numbness in my abdomen and hands in the past/ about 8 years ago. (This went away after six months or so.)
My gut feeling is that it's diabetic amyotrophy, another type of diabetic neuropathy, but I'm waiting to see my neurologist next month to see what she thinks.

I guess it's nice to feel alone in this.... but totally ***** at the same time!
My story begins in 2000. I began having some numbeness in my left thigh. t started just above the knee... about softball sized. At the time, I had a job that required me to stand for 8 hours or more a day, and lift heavy boxs. It didn't hurt back then.... just went numb. I went to the doctor, and like many of you, I was told it was because I was heavy. At 6'1", 240 may be a little over weight, but as a cyclist, I always had big legs. Anyway, no results, no tests.... just lose weight. Then I did! Up and down for a few years. You'd think if it was a weight issue, watching your body fat index, as well as your weight go way down... that the problem would go away, but it didn't, so I just dealt with it!

About 2 years ago, I suffered an injury to my left knee. At the time, I was down to a weight I hadn't seen since like 9th grade! (and the numbeness still there! Torn cartilige they found, and an arthroscopic surgery removed it. 4 to 6 months to heal is what I was told. 6 months came and went, and not only was the pain not better.... post surgery pain was now rearing it's ugly head too.

So, I stood on my right leg most of the time. I continued push to do things, and finally, my right leg had enough. I'd put all my lost weight back on, and then 20 more. While I continue to go to exhibits, I am dependant on crutches to make it through.

About 2 months ago, I noticed that not only had the numbness in my left thigh gotten exponentially worse, it now felt like my thigh was on fire! It  continues to get worse, and now radiates through everything from my lower back to a slight sensation loss in my calve.

I haven't gone to the doctor yet. I spend so much time at the knee doctor that I keep putting it off, so I thought I'd look online... which brought me here!

Good luck to everyone else here on finding ways to manage their pain!

Joe
I believe this is what a lot of us are experiencing:

Meralgia paresthetica (Burning Thigh Pain)
Cheryl A. Faber, M.D.

Nerves bring information about the environment (sensory nerves) and messages from the brain to activate muscles (motor nerves). To do this, nerves must pass over, under, around and through your joints, bones, and muscles. Usually, there is enough room to permit easy passage, but swelling, trauma, or pressure can narrow these openings and squeeze the nerve. When that happens, pain, paralysis, or other dysfunction may result.

Meralgia paresthetica (me-ral'-gee-a par-es-thet'-i-ka) is caused by entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve as it passes from the pelvis into the leg. It is also known as lateral femoral cutaneous nerve syndrome. It is characterized by a constellation of symptoms including unpleasant sensations called dysesthesias in the upper lateral thigh. The pain is often burning in character, but can also be prickly, tingly, "creepy-crawly" or even itchy. Patients suffering from meralgia paresthetica will often avoid any contact of clothing with the affected area. The pain of meralgia paresthetica is often exacerbated by sitting or squatting for long periods of time. Wide belts and obesity have also been implicated as inciting factors for development of the syndrome. Meralgia paresthetica is usually unilateral (one-sided) but can occur bilaterally, especially in the obese patient.

Signs and Symptoms

Pain on the outer side of the thigh, occasionally extending to the outer side of the knee
    A burning sensation, tingling, or numbness in the same area
    Occasionally, aching in the groin area or pain spreading across the buttocks
    Usually only on one side of the body
    Hypersensitivity when skin is brushed or touched.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis is typically made based on the symptoms and physical exam findings. Occasionally imaging studies (X-ray, CT, MRI) of the back, pelvis or hip may be ordered. X-rays will help identify any bone abnormalities that might be putting pressure on the nerve. If your physician suspects that a growth such as a tumor is the source of the pressure, you may need to get an MRI or CT (computed tomography) scan. In rare cases, a nerve conduction study may be advised.

Treatment

Treatments will vary, depending on the source of the pressure. It may take time for the burning pain to stop and, in some cases, numbness will persist despite treatment. The goal is to remove the cause of the compression. This may mean resting from an aggravating activity, losing weight, wearing loose clothing, or using a toolbox instead of wearing a tool belt. Topical pain agents and oral medications can be taken to reduce the nerve pain. In more severe cases, your physician may give you an injection of a corticosteroid preparation to reduce inflammation. This generally relieves the symptoms for some time. In rare cases, surgery is needed to release the nerve.
Thank  you all for sharing your experience.  I have these symptoms in my right leg. I haven’t seen a doctor about my issue. It all started close to 10 years ago I was in fairly good shape back then. I am a little overweight now. The symptoms went away for a while however recently the symptoms have come back and gotten worse. I know I can afford to lose weight I hope that will help.
I have the exact same thing but on my left leg.  Looking for treatment such as stretching, yoga or something less invasive than drugs and knives... :-/
what is that therapy and what core exercises did you do?  
this is crazy… to have so many suffering these same symptoms and seemingly nothing to do to solve our problems.  I had a sharp pain which pulsed over my right top thigh while on a weekend vacation which was filled with walking on concrete street. Thought I was going to die, my nerves were on fire, once I sat down it subsided, thank God. It has been 10 days now and I have been left with a totally numb thigh, which tingles and itches so bad.. I am afraid that after reading these posts I have damaged myself permanently.  I am hopeful to read some of the information I have found here in hopes to find a remedy.. Thank you all for sharing your stories.. I have been so worried about this situation.  If someone finds any help please come back and tell us you helpful experience.
I am in New Zealand. About 2 years ago I developed a small burning area on my front left thigh, this has spread to almost the whole front thigh, is numb, burns and itches at times, I recognised it as nerve sensation but can't think why it occurred. Can't see anything on the outside, guess in am one of the many who seem to have this problem, nothing helps so I just live with it.
Hello everyone, I to have been having the same pain/tingling/burning like someone is ripping the nerves inside my outer right thigh or stabbing it, it is horrible some days and feels better when I am walking.  I have a sit down job so that is when it hurts the most and at night I cant even lie on my right side because it hurts,  I found this stretching video and it has helped some.  Hope it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcncRdkHno
Did the lyrica make you gain weight?  I was on it for about 5 years for severe headaches due to possible neck bone deterioration.  I came off it  and lost 25 pounds in two weeks.  Thank goodness it is gone but the headaches are worse than ever.
I've had the same problem everyone else has, tingling, numbness, sharp pains above the right knee for about 4 years. Been to 4 doctors and they told me its probably a pinched nerve. 1 doctor gave me a Rx for Gabapentin and all it did was raise my blood pressure over 200/100, I quit taking them. At night I found taking Tylenol 1200 mg helps me fall asleep fast. It does get very depressing. My doctors did advise me not to have any nerve surgery because it can be more damaging. So here I'm living with the pain. And they call this the GOLDEN YEARS! Good luck to all of you