Neurology Community
Numbness, itchy, cold, burning leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 201-210 comments:
Sounds like you might have fibromyalgia.  Symptoms of this is muscle aches, fatigue, sleep problems,  trouble concentrating  and if your memory is not only bad, but is kind of embarrasing because its so bad, I'd put my money on it being FM. The pain in your upper leg, numbness and pain is probably caused by a pinched nerve.
I was wondering if the doctor found your problem with the MRI scan.
I have the same feelings except in both legs and feet and no answer.  My feet swell up and down and i've had this ******** for 2 months and can't walk so I hear ya! These doctors are stupid!
ok so i'm not the only one who has this...i get numbness, a cold feeling, and stabbing pains in my right uppper thigh.  this started when i was 16 and working in a retail clothing store and i squatted down to pick something up and i felt a pop in my hip and then numbness.  though my issue is not constant it only seems to happen when i'm sitting up right and have my legs straight out in front of me or when i'm laying on my back with my knees apart and usually goes away if i reposition myself or get up and walk.  
I am not overweight (actually, I love my weight) but my pain is in my left leg below my knee but it does not itch. It is just a tingy/ numbness that takes a while to get rid of. I do not have any other health issues nor do I take any medicine. I did make an appointment with my primary care doctor because now I am getting scared because it comes and goes.
well i also have the same problem but its in my left outer thigh. i get numbness burning coldness and tingleing but i learned to ignore it as i do not like going to the doctor, but my husband and parents kept bugging me about going to get checked out. they kept talking about it and it started to get worried so i decided to go to the doctors. they told me it was a nurve problem that comes from my lower back and said its probably swollen i hope this helps.
I have been haveing this feeling of stinging in my legs like im being attacked by fleas or some insect only when standing in place every since i was a little girl, my mother thought i was telling lies and trying to get out of doing the dishes but the truth is i still have that problem to this day and i have no idea what it could be. Its been about 15 years this has gone on. Anybody got any ideas? please help. dont know how often i will check on here so feel free to shoot me an email. thanks. heather_phillips2005***@****
I have same issue. It's on my Left thigh above my knee.

I have read through a lot of symptoms on this site and yours was curious because you mentioned you also have suffered from an upper digestion problem.
I too have recently had this but indigestion and acid reflux runs in my family so didn't think much about it. However, sometimes when I eat I feel like I can't digest for hours and I am bloated and in pain for hours afterwards.

In relation to the left thigh, I have noticed symptoms about a year ago. I was walking my dog and his leash got tangled with another dogs leash and cracked sharply against my left thigh above the knee. What resulted was a large raised bruise that hurt for weeks afterwards. Once healed though it started to itch and get a cold/burning/ numbing sensation. I havent experienced the pain symptoms but everything else.

I also experience occasional lower back pain and have thrown my back out several times.

I am not overweight (5'4" and 130 lbs) but I don't stretch often enough or exercise often enough.

I haven't seen a dr especially after reading how unhelpful they are. Western medicine is so limited and closed minded to other possibilities. I wonder if dietitians could help, or Chinese medicine, or acupuncture. Has anyone tried alternatives to western medicine?
Google Arteriosclerosis of the extremities. Good Information.Hope it
works.Relax.Check for Natural Home Remedies.If on medication,Get advice from Doctor. http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Arteriosclerosis.html#faq is one website.Good Luck.
I think there are more of us out here than you think.  I have been dealing with this for 5 years with no firm diagnosis.  Even blankets hurt to lay on my legs even though they are numb.  I was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago so all tests have been aimed towards that but with no good answer.  I hope one of us will see a positve post before we naw our own leg off.  Good luck in your search. We are all right there with you hoping for something positive.
I have had the same symptoms, numb/ burning right thigh, going to see a doctor tomorrow, but from what everyone has said, not sure he will be of much help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meralgia_paraesthetica, this seems to explain the symptoms.
I too have these symptoms...with artificial knees and hips I worried it was a complication with those. But now, I wonder if there isn't a more universal answer. I would like to stay posted on this.
Your symptoms read exactly like mine. I am a 52 year old male with overall good health and fitness.  I had a severe herneated disc btw c6/c7   about 8 years ago.  Have no idea if thats related to the symptoms of the itchy numb thigh.  I have similar symptoms in my left hand that I am told are a direct result of the spine injury but they are more numb than itchy burning.  Anyway. it is nice to know that I am not alone.  Thanks for posting.
I too, have the same symptoms, left leg, from knee up to thigh. 1st thing Dr. did was take x-rays of both my hips, and back. Next day results showed--I have 2 vertebrae compressed together, pinching a nerve. He said I have very bad bones, and wants me to get an MRI done to see just how extensively my bones are affected, but I can't afford it. He also said the numbness, pain, etc. may go away on it's own or it may stay with me, and if my symptoms cause me to not live a normal getting around daily--then I should get in touch with him------asap.   I have a family friend going through the same thing--------and he has started Physical Therapy.  Good luck............
I have the same numbness and burning in right thigh as described in most of these posts.  The difference is I can tell you exactly when it happened and the circumstances that seemed to start this sensation in my right thigh.  I work on the North Slope, Alaska and was outside in some hash cold (over -80F with the windchill) and my right leg was feeling cold to the bone if you know what I mean.  I got in the truck and warmed up but when I got back to shop the numbness persisted but I did not think too much about it at th etime figuring it would go away.  Then on top of this, that evening when I got back to living quarters I did some weightlifting and was doing the leg press.  Nothing really hurt at the time and my leg did feel better from earlier.  That night when I went to bed I did notice kind of a numb sensation but just went to sleep.  I actually woke up at 2AM yelling in pain from the burning and numbness I felt in right thigh.  I thought I was going to see some skin damage from the cold but there never was, it was like the cold drove deep into my muscle tissue but did not cause any skin damage?  I walked down the hall to our Medical Dept. and talked to the PA there.  He told me without the skin damage he would rule out frostbite and I pretty much agreed.  He asked me if I did anything strenuous throught the day and I told him I did the leg press in the gym.  He gave me some strong Ibuprofen tablets and said maybe I strained something in my leg.  Some history:  I have always had very large muscular legs and set lifting records when I played football in college on this lift.  I think the combination of the exposure to extreme cold with the combination of lifting some heavy weight is why I have this condition which has been over a month now.  I thought it would get better but the reason I am here right now is because I woke up in the night and leg was burning.  I think I damaged some nerves or something but have not been to a real doctor for diagnosis which sounds pointless after reading so many posts here?  I am turning fifty next month and I am to heavy for my height but my build is very thick with lots of muscle mass.  I work out on a regular basis both cardio and weights.  This leg thing has really started bothering me...  I am open to suggestions :)
For the past 6 months or so, I have had the same numbness, itching, sharp jabbing pains, and tingling that most of you are describing.  Within the past two months I have had problems with my lower back and hips to the point where I can't walk at times.  I have not brought up the numbness to a doctor yet, but I did have a x-ray for the pain and found that I have narrowing and thin discs at L3 and L4.  I read one other post that said they had problems with that same area.I'm started to believe that it's a pinched nerve or at least related to the lower back issue.  However, if it spreads any further, I'm afraid it will affect the way I walk from now on.  Strange that doctors don't know what it is?? At least I know I'm not alone.
yes same symptoms and i am overweight
yes same symptoms and i am overweight
i have burning feeling,numbness and itchy feeling all over the thigh.I was referred to a specialist that ordered an MRI of pelvic,lumbar area.Results were avascular necrosis of the hips and narrowing of the lower lumbar area near L45.My orthopedic dr. is ready to take the hip out and replace it.I have an appt.tommorrow with primary care to descuss why I lost total control of specific muscles in my right leg.Cannot do heel raise test and my knee buckles when standing too long.I guess my quads are weak.I have walked with my foot pointed outward for almost two years to compensate.Things are catching up to me quick.
have you had an MRI yet
I suddenly had a very numb right thigh, with pain on the outside edge about a month ago. It has gotten progressively worse. It sometimes feels itchy like I have threads hanging onto it (where there are none) and burning pins and needles-like pain. I am a 48 yr old woman with type one diabetes (insulin dependent since I was young), and have had diabetic neuropathy for about ten years in my feet and hands. This feels different though, as it's my thigh, and the calf isn't involved at all.
I have chronic problems with my spine, especially my C spine, and I do have type one Osteogenesis Imperfecta. (brittle bone disease with 50+ fractures in my history so far.)They have also queried MS in my past, as I've had lesions on my spine in at least two instances detected by MRI's when I had numbness in my abdomen and hands in the past/ about 8 years ago. (This went away after six months or so.)
My gut feeling is that it's diabetic amyotrophy, another type of diabetic neuropathy, but I'm waiting to see my neurologist next month to see what she thinks.

I guess it's nice to feel alone in this.... but totally ***** at the same time!
My story begins in 2000. I began having some numbeness in my left thigh. t started just above the knee... about softball sized. At the time, I had a job that required me to stand for 8 hours or more a day, and lift heavy boxs. It didn't hurt back then.... just went numb. I went to the doctor, and like many of you, I was told it was because I was heavy. At 6'1", 240 may be a little over weight, but as a cyclist, I always had big legs. Anyway, no results, no tests.... just lose weight. Then I did! Up and down for a few years. You'd think if it was a weight issue, watching your body fat index, as well as your weight go way down... that the problem would go away, but it didn't, so I just dealt with it!

About 2 years ago, I suffered an injury to my left knee. At the time, I was down to a weight I hadn't seen since like 9th grade! (and the numbeness still there! Torn cartilige they found, and an arthroscopic surgery removed it. 4 to 6 months to heal is what I was told. 6 months came and went, and not only was the pain not better.... post surgery pain was now rearing it's ugly head too.

So, I stood on my right leg most of the time. I continued push to do things, and finally, my right leg had enough. I'd put all my lost weight back on, and then 20 more. While I continue to go to exhibits, I am dependant on crutches to make it through.

About 2 months ago, I noticed that not only had the numbness in my left thigh gotten exponentially worse, it now felt like my thigh was on fire! It  continues to get worse, and now radiates through everything from my lower back to a slight sensation loss in my calve.

I haven't gone to the doctor yet. I spend so much time at the knee doctor that I keep putting it off, so I thought I'd look online... which brought me here!

Good luck to everyone else here on finding ways to manage their pain!

Joe
I believe this is what a lot of us are experiencing:

Meralgia paresthetica (Burning Thigh Pain)
Cheryl A. Faber, M.D.

Nerves bring information about the environment (sensory nerves) and messages from the brain to activate muscles (motor nerves). To do this, nerves must pass over, under, around and through your joints, bones, and muscles. Usually, there is enough room to permit easy passage, but swelling, trauma, or pressure can narrow these openings and squeeze the nerve. When that happens, pain, paralysis, or other dysfunction may result.

Meralgia paresthetica (me-ral'-gee-a par-es-thet'-i-ka) is caused by entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve as it passes from the pelvis into the leg. It is also known as lateral femoral cutaneous nerve syndrome. It is characterized by a constellation of symptoms including unpleasant sensations called dysesthesias in the upper lateral thigh. The pain is often burning in character, but can also be prickly, tingly, "creepy-crawly" or even itchy. Patients suffering from meralgia paresthetica will often avoid any contact of clothing with the affected area. The pain of meralgia paresthetica is often exacerbated by sitting or squatting for long periods of time. Wide belts and obesity have also been implicated as inciting factors for development of the syndrome. Meralgia paresthetica is usually unilateral (one-sided) but can occur bilaterally, especially in the obese patient.

Signs and Symptoms

Pain on the outer side of the thigh, occasionally extending to the outer side of the knee
    A burning sensation, tingling, or numbness in the same area
    Occasionally, aching in the groin area or pain spreading across the buttocks
    Usually only on one side of the body
    Hypersensitivity when skin is brushed or touched.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis is typically made based on the symptoms and physical exam findings. Occasionally imaging studies (X-ray, CT, MRI) of the back, pelvis or hip may be ordered. X-rays will help identify any bone abnormalities that might be putting pressure on the nerve. If your physician suspects that a growth such as a tumor is the source of the pressure, you may need to get an MRI or CT (computed tomography) scan. In rare cases, a nerve conduction study may be advised.

Treatment

Treatments will vary, depending on the source of the pressure. It may take time for the burning pain to stop and, in some cases, numbness will persist despite treatment. The goal is to remove the cause of the compression. This may mean resting from an aggravating activity, losing weight, wearing loose clothing, or using a toolbox instead of wearing a tool belt. Topical pain agents and oral medications can be taken to reduce the nerve pain. In more severe cases, your physician may give you an injection of a corticosteroid preparation to reduce inflammation. This generally relieves the symptoms for some time. In rare cases, surgery is needed to release the nerve.
Thank  you all for sharing your experience.  I have these symptoms in my right leg. I haven’t seen a doctor about my issue. It all started close to 10 years ago I was in fairly good shape back then. I am a little overweight now. The symptoms went away for a while however recently the symptoms have come back and gotten worse. I know I can afford to lose weight I hope that will help.
I have the exact same thing but on my left leg.  Looking for treatment such as stretching, yoga or something less invasive than drugs and knives... :-/
what is that therapy and what core exercises did you do?  
this is crazy… to have so many suffering these same symptoms and seemingly nothing to do to solve our problems.  I had a sharp pain which pulsed over my right top thigh while on a weekend vacation which was filled with walking on concrete street. Thought I was going to die, my nerves were on fire, once I sat down it subsided, thank God. It has been 10 days now and I have been left with a totally numb thigh, which tingles and itches so bad.. I am afraid that after reading these posts I have damaged myself permanently.  I am hopeful to read some of the information I have found here in hopes to find a remedy.. Thank you all for sharing your stories.. I have been so worried about this situation.  If someone finds any help please come back and tell us you helpful experience.
I am in New Zealand. About 2 years ago I developed a small burning area on my front left thigh, this has spread to almost the whole front thigh, is numb, burns and itches at times, I recognised it as nerve sensation but can't think why it occurred. Can't see anything on the outside, guess in am one of the many who seem to have this problem, nothing helps so I just live with it.
Hello everyone, I to have been having the same pain/tingling/burning like someone is ripping the nerves inside my outer right thigh or stabbing it, it is horrible some days and feels better when I am walking.  I have a sit down job so that is when it hurts the most and at night I cant even lie on my right side because it hurts,  I found this stretching video and it has helped some.  Hope it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcncRdkHno
Did the lyrica make you gain weight?  I was on it for about 5 years for severe headaches due to possible neck bone deterioration.  I came off it  and lost 25 pounds in two weeks.  Thank goodness it is gone but the headaches are worse than ever.
I've had the same problem everyone else has, tingling, numbness, sharp pains above the right knee for about 4 years. Been to 4 doctors and they told me its probably a pinched nerve. 1 doctor gave me a Rx for Gabapentin and all it did was raise my blood pressure over 200/100, I quit taking them. At night I found taking Tylenol 1200 mg helps me fall asleep fast. It does get very depressing. My doctors did advise me not to have any nerve surgery because it can be more damaging. So here I'm living with the pain. And they call this the GOLDEN YEARS! Good luck to all of you
I was told it was IT band and not much you can do except for massage. It can stem from knee or hip nerve issues.  Just thought I would mention this.  Mine started same way and it is about 2 to 2-1/2 years now. Sometimes it goes away for a bit and then all of a sudden it is there as if it never left
Yep.  Same as everyone else here.  I have a history of sciatica down my left leg due to bulging, herniated discs.  So when this started on my right thigh, I didn't worry too much about it.  I'm used to nerve problems.  But this is something completely different than your normal sciatica.  My entire front/right of my right thigh goes completely numb on the surface.  Completely numb, not just slightly.  Can't feel a thing.  And what I find strange is, at the bottom of the numbness near my knee, I get a cold sensation like cold water is dripping on my leg.  This happens when I'm on my feet for more than just a couple of minutes.  If I sit down it slowly goes away.  I have been taking Ultram for about 14 years for the bulging disks and Sciatica.  I have 3 recommendations based on what I've read here and what I've experienced over the years.

3 problem areas I would look into are:

1.  Fibromyalgia
2.  Nerve damage caused by medication (in my case Ultram)
3.  The weight issue as a contributing factor
Can't believe so many have similar symptoms, everyone I have asked says right away it's a pinched nerve in your back, started all of a sudden.. Front of left thigh, painful to the touch, numbness, feels like my leg is literally on fire, sometimes pins pricking sensation from the inside out, worse at night which prevents sleep. Constant 24/7. Only have had it for 4 days and I can't imagine having this for years. Note overweight,57 years of age, active.
This really sounds like Meralgia paresthetica. This is a compressed nerve (The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) that runs over the inguinal ligament. and gets compressie there. The way to solve this is difficult and is mainly prevent compression of the nerve. Do not wear tight clothes, belts or tight underwear and try a chiropracter. For me this and losing some weight helped against these symptoms. I did not have iT for years though, just a few months. Don't know of à nerve that Hans been compressed for years can still restore to normal function.
And if it is meralgia (which a neurologist can test) and none of the above helps and you do not want to take pain meds for the rest of your life a nerve block does stop the pain, itch and burning sensation so i've been told (which i fortunately did not need yet)
I'm 17 and have these same problems, numbness, burning and itching in my right thigh that's been going on for months now. I've seen a doctor, a neurologist, I've had MRI's on my lower spine that came out normal, I've had EMG's and NCV's - all clean, and am now seeing a chiropractor. I've been prescribed gabapentin but it doesn't do much but make me sleepy. It's hard to sleep at night with the pain and the burning, even though I always seem to be tired. This is affecting my college grades and my ability to work and I need a solution, if anyone knows about anything that's worked for them, please speak up, this is terrible!
How interesting that so many people have been afflicted by this condition! Here's my story and it has a hopeful ending. A month ago, these symptoms of numbness and extreme itchiness on my left front thigh began. This coincided with my resumption of eating a hefty amount of dark chocolate, the expensive kind one buys at Whole Foods. I was eating at least a half of a large bar a day and sometimes a whole bar. I have a propensity for chocolate addiction and so had avoided strictly for more than a year. I reviewed in my mind all of the things that I had changed since the time I became a victim of the nasty symptoms.
1. Chocolate consumption
2. An herb called Bacopa one capsule per day
3. Doing a strenuous exercise to tighten my abs
I decided to stop all three of these things. The next day, I found the symptoms had diminished by about 50 percent. It has been about five days since I started this experiment. The numbness has been reduced by at least 50 percent but the area is now a bit tender to the touch. The itching has diminished by 70 percent. It was a scary thing to experience! Now a bit of background concerning the chocolate: I researched it on Google. I suspected that it might contain this dangerous flavor enhancers that is used in many products including flavored teas. Yes, even the healthy ones that you buy at the health food stores! I had been drinking these "healthy" teas thinking that they were doing me some benefit. What they did do is make me itch all over my torso, cause lesions to form, and frequently caused me to itch all over my body. I was in torment and I had no idea what was causing it. This went on for several years! Finally after trying everything I could think of I tried stopping tea drinking and sure enough that was the culprit. I Googled teas and found that some companies use a nerve destroying flavor enhancer called "Ribonucleotides" in some of their products. It is never listed on any ingredients lists that I have seen. But it is "inside" one of the ingredients such as "Natural Flavors." After I stopped drinking the tea or eating other suspicious products too numerous to mention, which by the way, were all from the "health food store," I miraculously recovered my healthy skin once again. These "Ribonucleotides" are used in chocolate to enhance the flavor. I do not intend to reintroduce chocolate back into my life. That is OVER! I will, however, reintroduce the Bacopa (herb that enhances memory) and the exercise to tighten my abs to see if they, too, have contributed to this distressing condition itching and numbness. I shall write back soon with an update so that you can see if perhaps what I have discovered may be the cause of your problem too!
Hi, did u find out what was causing all this burning? Thanks
Which drug did your mum take? Thanks
I just read your post. I too have all of things you described. The popping, is the most annoying. Kind a like a little burst, that kinda buzz. I will have one in an area then it's like it will send off a little fire storm of these strange burst sensations. I get them all the time. Sitting, standing or lying in bed. I have yet to go to the Doctor. No insurance.
Hi, long time ago you asked, but I do have the same itchy, tingly, cold, hot feelings of the nerves just under the skin layers of both thighs, to the upper/forward/side area.  I attribute this to my "stressed" spine where it meets the tailbone.  My spine is stressed as my right hip sits slightly out of socket.  I am 53.  I have also experienced popping feelings in the same area of my right thigh, years ago.  This would occur consistent to a specific yoga position, essentially a lunge.  The popping I would feel was, I was certain, the nerves being torn from their interior position due to overstrain through my poor hip.  That area would be left with inferior feeling.  The inferior feeling lasted years until, the nerves grew back and feeling was restored.  But the nerves did distinctly feel as though they were suddenly popping away from their proper positions.  Just wondered if this sounds like possibly your condition as well.
Hi, I just replied to efclarke as well.  Have a look at what I just posted to see if it possibly sounds like your affectation.
Hi, I also get that same itchy, numb, tingly, cold, hot nerve sensation in my forward upper, right thigh, closer to the outside of thigh.  Is it possible that your right hip is double jointed or sits slightly out of socket, as does mine?This imbalance then affects my tailbone.  Then nerves in both thighs go crazy, generally when standing or laying on my back.
Sounds the same for me.  I am going to add a strange thing which I tried.  As I am a bit overweight and my belly is a bit too large (especially come end of winter).  I thought to myself how would it feel if I had no belly?  I physically cradelled and lifted my belly up a bit with my hands.  The effect is virtually no excess weight to pull the lower spine forward and alter its position.  Anyway, the feeling itself is rather inspiring.  :)
Hi.  As a few others have mentioned, these sensations likely stem from the lower spine about where it meets the tailbone.  Which is likely swollen from various stresses.  I find some relief by supporting my upper body by my straightened arms on the counter's edge.  This allows the weight of my lower body to hang free, the weight of which stretches my lower spine, resetting its position and eliminating some of the feeling of nerve damage.
Specifically, the sun salutation routine of yoga helps with alignment and my lower back, thigh nerve problem.  Hope it works for you. :)
Hi, I am re-posting from mekap2677  because this works for me TREMENDOUSLY. I found this doctor's videos through some exploring I did with my physical therapist. These "nerve flossing" exercises have significantly improved my quality of life. I am able to walk 20 minutes instead of just 5 minutes! I'm able to tolerate a 4-hour airplane flight. I do the exercises 2x/day. 2-3 times if I'm in pain.

I do modified versions of the exercises on the airplane, at the mall, while out for a walk...whenever I need quick relief.

from Feb 13, 2014
Viewing 201-210 comments: