Neurology Community
Numbness, odd sensations and swelling while on bed rest after surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm not sure if this falls under Neurology or not. I recently (3 weeks ago) had extensive surgery on my foot and ankle. I  had my stiches taken out yesterday and was put in a new smaller cast that stops just short of my knee. Due to the amount of incisions and potential or swelling I'm limited to laying in a bed or on a couch with my legs elevated. I'm allowed to sit up 3 times a day for 20 minutes at a time. My concern is that I've noticed some new symptoms within the last two days that include numbness in parts of my leg and foot, "pins and needles" on the bottom of my foot, swelling within the cast around my lower calf and ankle, pain in my calf which is unrelated to any incisions (unless its just radiating) and now my toes feel cold while my leg itself is oddly warm.  I don't know whether to think its just nerve damage from the surgery or something like a blood clot. There is no way for me to see the area to check for obvious symptoms. I've been taking a combination birth control pill (Yasmin) and I just read that it increases the risk of blood clots. I know inactivity also increases these risks as well, but I'd like to think its just some side effect of the operation.

Are these concerns enough to call my doctor? The surgeon that I see for follow ups is rarely available for last minute appointments and its hard for me to sit in a car for that long. Plus taking this cast off and putting a new one on is a hassle not to mention expensive so I don't want to cause concern over nothing.