Neurology Community
Numbness/Tingling in left hip. Sometimes painful!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been experiencing numbness in my left hip. It started after I had an unusually long sleep and I woke up laying on my left side with numbness and pain in my left hip/thigh. This was 2 weeks ago. Ever since then I have been trying to avoid laying on my left side and it seems to help. However after I move in my sleep to my left side, I will wake up hours later in pain. Sleeping on it is the only cause of the numbness however, the numbness will last all of the next day but be less worse in the evenings then it is in the mornings. I sometimes experience tingling as well. The area of the numbness is only about the size of a softball located under the hip bone on the very upper portion of the thigh on the side of my leg. Last night I woke up in pain and not only was I experiencing numbness there was also a burning sensation when I went to touch my hip/thigh. Sorry if this was confusing. What could this numbness/tingling/burning mean?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Considering the different locations of symptoms described, it could be due to compression of a nerve, the sciatic nerve. The resulting symptoms are often referred as sciatica. The pain can vary in severity and can be accompanied by numbness. This occurs due to spinal disc herniation (slipped disc), spinal stenosis (narrowing of spinal canal) or due to the piriformis syndrome. It can also be due to osteoarthritis or osteoporosis and sometimes due to tumors. I would advise you to consult your doctor for a reevaluation of your symptoms. Depending on the severity of your symptoms he may prescribe  medications and may advise physical therapy. In the meantime, Avoid those movements or exercises that aggravate your pain. Try not to lift weights or bend as this can worsen your symptoms. Try applying local analgesic creams. Place ice over the painful area every 1-2hrs for pain relief. Sleep on a firm surface with a pillow under the knees and take OTC medications like Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen. Ensure to take them after food.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.