Numbness after RF ablation
I had the saphenous vein on my left leg closed with RF ablation about 18 months ago. Shortly after the procedure, my leg & foot swelled up from the insertion point on down and the area on the inside of my leg, ankle and top & side of my foot was numb. The doctor told me that I needed to wait to see what is happening and it may take time to heal.  I came back in a year and the area was still numb (but swelling went away in a couple weeks) and sometimes painful with throbbing or "kicked in the shin" kind of feeling. Again I was told to wait and now it's over 18 months. After reading a bit, I have a feeling that this will be permanent.

Can anything be done to alleviate the pain in the "numb" area?  It's more annoying than anything else but it's constant and worse as the day progresses.

I am noticing that my left leg is getting bumps and indentations on the top (ridge of the shin bone) and seems to have less fatty tissue under the skin in the insensitive area than my right leg. Would nerve damage cause this or is that something that happens when the vein is closed? Or maybe something else unrelated?

Can nerve damage cause muscle atrophy?

I am an active person and even though I don't have any serious symptoms, I am starting to worry that things could get a lot worse and that probably bothers me the most.

Thanks ahead of time for your comments and suggestions.

Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. In all probability the bumps and indentation are due to venous pooling causing water to collect in lower leg. Venous can occur due to deep vein clots, thrombophlebitis, and DVT (deep vein thrombosis).  You need a dopplar study to find the cause.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.