Numbness after back surgery
I had back surgery fusion of L4 L5 a couple of months ago.  During the first 6 weeks after surgery I was getting better each day.  Suddenly one day (at the 6 week post op timeframe), I started having pain across the width of my back and it seemed the pain was the width of about 3 to 4 inches.  Now the pain is all around my waist, even in front (I call it cramping in the stomach).  A couple of days ago just at my tail bone (about 2 inches below the bottom of the scar), there were a few "blister like" itchy spots.  They popped with pain associated with it, now it looks like little blood vains (sorta like veracose vains), but that is not my main concern.  Today, i have numbness in my shoulders, arms and hands.  (I did not have numbness in any of my upper body prior surgery; only in the legs prior surgery).  The numbness is so severe, I can barely type this message.  I have place a call to my DR, but I am getting scared with all that has been happening to me during the past 3 weeks.

Has anyone experienced this and how have you coped?

This discussion is related to Still numb after back surgery.
Things usually get better in a certain order after a back surgery .  Pain is often the first thing to improve, usually immediately after surgery.  Weakness of the extremities can take weeks to months to get better. Numbness is the last to improve .  This can take months to a year or two.  Generally by that time you have seen the majority of the improvement after your surgery. At times a patient may have pressure on the spinal cord requiring further surgery.  Notify your surgeon the next time you see him to be sure.  You may need some physical therapy for  the numbness.  They can give you some additional tips on walking and getting around. Please go for an MRI spine to check whether there is nerve impingement and consult your neurosurgeon . . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !