Neurology Community
Numbness after mandibular fracture sugery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

In july of '06 I broke my jaw in a car accident and as a result had surgery where two plates were fixed to my mandible.  The problematic one was in the chin area not far from where the nerve comes out of the mandible.  The incision to install this plate was made inside my mouth along the base of the gum line and was around 1 1/2 long.  After that surgery,the entire area was numb and it took months to get some of the sensation back.  I have feeling on the skin surface but I don't have much nerve function in my lower lip area inside my mouth and in my lower lip itself.  A couple of months ago, the same surgeon removed the plate because I continued to have pain in the area.  The incision he used was over the same incision as the first surgery.  The pain my chin area is now gone but numbness in my lower lip area is now worse and now after 6 weeks,it does not appear as though this will get any better.  Like I said, I have some some feeling in the area but I'd say it's around 25% of what would be normal.  It's also gets very tight and painful.  

I don't think the surgeon knows where to go from here and I'm worried that its been 15 months since the original surgery and the damage may not be recoverable after this amount of time.  Can you offer an opinion as to where I should go from here?  And, are there non-surgical techniques (TENS/EMS units, physical therapy, etc) that can help me?

thanks,
--john