Numbness and pain in leg after surgery
I am a 40 yr old female. I had aortic bi-femoral bypass as well as a large blood clot removed from the back of my right knee on March 20, 2008. Since then I have had numbness with severe sensitivity and pain to my legs, especially my right leg. I cannot feel touch, but I can feel the pain from the touch. Does that make sense? My vascular surgeon said it is trauma from the invasive surgery and would be ok over time, but it seems to be getting worse not better. I cant let my cats sit on my lap, or wear certain materials on my legs, or even have sex because of this pain. Also, it feels as though my legs are very swollen, the skin feels extremely tight, although they do not look swollen. My question is, is this nerve damage? How does one determine nerve damage? Is it permanent?  What kind of doctor should I see about this? Is there anything I can do? Tylenol and the likes do no good, and I hate taking drugs if they are not totally necessary. Any advise would be great.
I had an accident walking into a door in 2002 and injured my brain, Neck, lower back, and numbness in the left leg.  After 5 year, was told I needed a hip replacement.  done.  but the pain in left remained like you with out touch, but feel the pain or burning.  Now I have been told my Femoral Artery is blocked and need this Right to left Femoral Femoral bypass.  My symptoms already exist before the surgery.  Can not wait to see what I get now.  As to the pain, the nerves are damaged and can not be repaired.  That is what I was told after my hip replacement.   PS: I was only 45 when I had the first surgery.