Neurology Community
Numbness and pain in right hand

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness and pain in right hand

40 year old healthy male.  195 pounds. Exercise fairly regularly. Eat a decent diet.

I know you are thinking CT Syndrome right off the bat.  The funny thing is, I actually switched to using my left hand for my computer mouse about 2 months ago.  I cut back my computer use compared to months ago and years past.

A couple of days ago when I woke up, my right hand had pain to make a fist and numbness in the index and ring finger.  It would eventually go away and be fine all day.  But when I awake the next morning - same thing.

This just started a couple of days ago.  Never had a problem like this before and I have been a computer user for years.  I started using my left hand to use the mouse about 2 months ago - remember.  

I also notice that those same two fingers will start to go numb if I keep my hand up near heart-level for long periods of time.  While sitting, driving, almost anything if my hand is up at heart level or higher.  

I have to shake my hand out to get some circuilation going though it.  Very strange as this has just started a few days ago.  I have changed nothing to cause this.  In fact, I have cut back on computer use and I don't even use my right hand for the mouse anymore.

I'm thinking some sort of circulation problem under my armpit or something.

Hi, this could be due to thoracic outlet syndrome, cervical spondylosis, carpal tunnel syndrome etc. Symptoms due to thoracic outlet syndrome include neck, shoulder, and arm pain, numbness, or impaired circulation to the extremities (causing discoloration). Often symptoms are reproduced when the arm is positioned above the shoulder or extended. Patients can have a wide spectrum of symptoms from mild and intermittent, to severe and constant. Pains can extend to the fingers and hands, causing weakness. Please visit website http://www.medicinenet.com/thoracic_outlet_syndrome/article.htm for more information.

Please get yourself investigated for cervical spondylosis too. As nerve compression at cervical level is responsible for pain in the arm, at times along with tingling sensations in hand too. MRI spine is usually done for diagnosis. Treatment is physiotherapy, hot compressions, pain killers etc.

Do you have history of hypothyroidism? Carpal tunnel syndrome is associated with compression of median nerve at wrist giving rise to numbness and pain in thumb and fingers.
Dr. Kalra MD:
                       I live in Detroit MI. I lifted a heavy package in my arms last fall and all of a sudden a shot of pain went through my neck, back and arms right down to my ankles.
                       I was almost paralysed for the first few months. I strained every tendon or nerve tissue in the body. It is now July 2010 and pain still exists in my right hand when I try to write lying down.
                         Carpal tunnel syndrome? I don`t have a history of hypothyroidism. I`m very active. I bike-ride every day and adhere to a decent diet.  Aspirin and pain killers are poison to the body if taken regularly.
                           You are a resourceful doctor and I am glad to have met you. Any advice at all from you would certainly be appreciated.
                                                                       Douglas