Neurology Community
Numbness and paralysis of upper extremities

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My 24 yr. old daughter has been having episodes of her arms and hands and face tingling and then they all go numb and she can't move, talk or hardly swallow. The muscles in her arms get so tight they feel like rocks. This only happens to the upper part of her body.  This is really beginning to worry me because we don't know what it is or what is causing it. She went to the hospital one time and all they could tell her was she was dehydrated and probably hyperventalated. This episode happened to her driving home from work one day and she had to pull over as soon as she felt the numbness coming on because she knew she was about to have one of those episodes of feeling paralyzed. I really could use some suggestions as what this could be; next time she might not be able to pull over in time if she is driving alone.
-  A concerned Mother
Hello Dear,
You should consult a neurologist as the numbness may have a neurological cause.You should get a MRI of the brain and spine done to know if any degenerative changes or pathology exists.Deficiency of potassium ,muscular dystrophy,also cause such symptoms.You should get a complete neurological examination done to find the exact cause of the weakness and numbness.

Best

I take Zyprexa, but I do not know if it may or may not, but I should have discuss this with my doctor,  I look on the list and it mentain rigid muscle on the side effect.  I been on Zyprexa since early 2000, but closed to 39 years of age.  I stareted to notice that my legs are slowing down some paces, Now I'm 41 and just working across the street, I now get exhausted after return, I was wondering if its rigid muscle is causing it or is it something else.