Neurology Community
Numbness in Arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness in Arms

I am  a 33yr old female.  Recently, I have been experiencing numbness in my upper arms, my triceps to be specific.  The numbness first began in my right tricep and then  in my left.  Now it has spread to my armpits and I am concerned. Please tell me your thoughts.  What could this be? The numbness is starting to become painful.  
Have you experienced any trauma to your shoulder or upper arm recently? Have you been lifting heavy objects or overexerted your arms? Any neck pain?

A pinched nerve is a possibility, although cervical spondylosis cannot be ruled out if neck pain is present.  You should consult a neurologist to assess your symptoms.
Thank you for responding. I have had trauma to my entire body, various car/boating accidents, and the latest was last year when I was actually shot in my lower right arm.  The bone was shattered and had to be operated on.  They put a steel/titanium plate in my arm the length of my lower arm.  When the numbness was only in this arm I attributed to that injury but since it is now in the other and as I mentioned now in my armpits.  But yes I can forsee a doctor in my near future as it is quite uncomfortable and like I said becoming painful.  Is the neck pain  a true indicator of nerve damage linked to my arms?  Would it ever affect my legs? or is that something completly different?  The reason I ask is that there are times when my upper leg , well kinda like I can lay but not sit if that makes sense.   Thanks
Neck pain, while not a "true indicator" can suggest nerve impingement or cervical spondylosis which could present with symptoms in the arms. While it is uncommon, the lower extremities (legs) can sometimes also present with numbness or pain. Your neurologist can determine if your symptoms are of a neurological nature.