Neurology Community
Numbness in Left Great Toe

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness in Left Great Toe

After backpacking a long trip, I returned home to have my Left Great toe numb and tingling....When I first get off my feet the tingling has gone up my foot and calf some. I have stayed off of my feet somewhat since I have been home, but it continues. Any suggestions of what is causing this?
Did you wear tennis shoes or hiking boots to backpack/hike in? Were the shoes more tight around your great toe than the rest of your foot? Is there any swelling in your foot? Swelling causes compression on nerves.
Sometimes when people are hiking, they use that part of their foot to really grab ahold of the terrain unless they're in good hiking boots. It seems sort of natural to curl up the toe inside of the shoe and not even be aware you're doing it. Do you have any joint tenderness in the toe? Have you ever worn the pair of shoes before that you wore the day of the trip? Are these an everyday pair of shoes that you wore? Do you wear orthotics inside your shoes, (special insoles that you're casted for by a podiatrist?...not the over the counter ones)?
Maybe as you were climbing is it possible that the terrain was so steep at any time that you put more weight on the front part of your leg (more on one leg than the other) compressing on a nerve?
These are the only kinds of things that I can think of but you should check with a podiatrist who can do a nerve conduction test on your foot and leg.