Neurology Community
Numbness in Left Leg and Right Arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness in Left Leg and Right Arm

I am a 32 year old female in good health and spirits (no stress/depression etc..).  About 2 months ago I noticed my left three toes went numb while in the shower.  This was most noticable after a shower, but would sometimes occur throughout the day.  About 2 weeks later I had pain spread from my right hand, up my shoulder and into my left side.  It went away after about 8 days.  I still have toe numbness and now my whole left leg will get tingles (like it's asleep) as will my right hand and arm.  I've developed a wierd twitching feeling in my left calf and my right eye twitches on and off all day.  I've had an EMG, a lower lumbar MRI and a brain MRI.  All have been normal.  The only other thing they are doing is a B12 test and if that is normal they say they will assume everything is fine.  I don't FEEL fine.  If anything, things seem to be getting worse (in terms of numbness/tingling/twitching).  Can anyone give me some direction on where to go next?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

An EMG does not rule out any disorder. It helps in the diagnosis if it comes positive. Generally a Nerve Conduction Study is also done alongwith EMG. An MRI of the Cervical area should also have been done if any spinal cord problem was suspected. (the tingling in your arm is as important as the toe numbness and leg tingling). Was a CSF examination done ?

How were your reflexes, and power in the muscle groups on clinical neurological examination ?

Regards
Thank you for the reply.  They did a two part EMG test (one was small shocks and the other was tiny needles).  Both were normal.  The neurologist said that I had hyper reactive reflexes.  (ie. My middle finger reflexed when it shouldn't)  He also said my balance was a little off and found my history of vertigo and fatigue interesting.  His first thought upon my evaluation was something with the brain and MS was mentioned.  (at this visit it was just my numb toes and the pain episode.  I have called him since then to explain the increasing tingling and twitching and have had no replies)He did the MRI of the brain only and it did not show any lesions.  They have not done a CSF.  I just got my B12 and it was normal.  The neurologist sent everything back to my regular doctor and he suggested I come in and discuss getting a brain MRI.  I had to explain we'd already done that!  I'm very frustrated and don't really know what to do next.  I'd love to let it go, but it's kind of hard when more things are happening.  Any suggestions would be really helpful.  Thank you so much!