Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness in Tip of Finger

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness in Tip of Finger
I have been experiencing some numbness in the tip of my middle finger for nearly a month now. I will say that I have Raynaud's, although this doesn't feel anything like that. It doesn't seem to be related to my body temperature at all, actually. The numbness is present around 80% of the time. There is no real pain involved although I have a difficult time typing sometimes because of the loss of sensation. One other thing that may or may not be significant is that I do have tingling/burning in my hands and feet when I wake in the morning.

So you know, I do have an appt. to see my PCP, but that's still two weeks away. Can you provide any insight in the meantime? Thank you for your consideration.

Cookie

PS
This is a wonderful service that you provide. Thank you very much for the sacrifice and dedication!
Dear Cookie:

Sorry that your experiencing numbness in your finger.  This may or may not be related to your Raynauds.  Usually median nerve problems do not present with just finger tip numbness.  One really needs to see if the symptoms described by the patient represent just only part of the problem or not.  I would think you would need a good neurological evaluation of the sensation of the hand, likely your PCP will do a great job.  Then depending on the type of sensory loss a decision about what to do next will be known.  I am not sure what to tell you over the internet.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I am a 54 year old female that started having numbness, tingling and pain in my hands 3 months ago. The problems started during a long and stressful drive across the country. The numbness and pain is getting worse. I am having trouble sleeping and I wake up with swollen and numb hands every day. I can barely bend my fingers when I wake up in the morning. I have been to the doc, had x-rays, neuro test and MRI done. The diagnosis is spondylosis of 5,6 and 7. Also have some narrowing of the foramen. Can you tell me in simple English what this all means? Was prescribed neurontin and PT. My concern is, will this condition get worse with age, can I continue to play tennis?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
A related discussion, finger numbness was started.
A related discussion, Help with distressing condition was started.
A related discussion, Numbness and tingling in finger tips was started.