Neurology Community
Numbness in face; sagging left cheek.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness in face; sagging left cheek.

For the past two months, I have been experiencing on-and-off numbness on the left-side of my face. Within the past two-three weeks, I have also noticed a gradual "droop" in the left side of my face. Not so much so as to make my face look uneven, but enough for me to notice a more pronounced line beneath my cheek. Also, when running my finger over the left side of my face (on the cheek and under my eye) I notice the skin bunches up a lot more than it does on the ride side of my face (where no numbness or symptoms have been felt.)  It's as if the left side of my face has become more fleshy. I get the sensation that the skin has either swollen or the skin has become more loose or detached from my face.

The problem started about 6 months ago when I was having trouble sleeping due to anxiety-induced heart-pounding and restlessness. The doctors I saw during that period (including two emergency room doctors) said that this problem of sleep was due to anxiety (as I'd been laid-off and was under some stress.) They told me to try to relax.

Well, when the facial numbness started (about 3 months), it was very subtle. It would happen only at night (when I was having trouble sleeping.) I would notice feeling a tightness in the left side of my face. I'd make faces and stretch the muscles to relieve the perceived tension in my face. It would ease-up and go away. Then the tightness turned to numbness that would only happen at night and would go away during the day. Pretty soon, I would start feeling the numbness on-and-off 24 hours a day. Then I would feel it non-stop the whole day and the whole night. It would usually only be relieved if I laid on the left side of my face at night.

Then, after a few nights of sleeping on the left side of my face, I noticed I would wake up with a bit of swelling in my left eyelid and the more pronounced crease between my left cheek and my nose. As the day went on, that would go away. For the past 4-6 weeks, the numbness has still been present (some days more prevalent than others) and for the past 2-4 weeks, the swollen eyelid and fleshy, saggy skin on the left side of my face continues to bother me.

I should also mention that I've lost some sensitivity on the left side of my face (near my left temple.) I can feel my touch--but it's not as sensitive as my right side. But that also comes and goes. The numbness and tightness sometimes extends to my left ear and even the whole left side of my head (on the top and down to the back of my neck.) It feels like it's on the surface only. Almost like I have a layer of crust on my scalp or something. That's the only sensation I can liken it to.

I'm wondering if this may have been exacerbated by my partner biting my left ear and earlobe during a few intimate episodes which took place before the numbness became more or less permanent; or if it is strictly related to the stress-related sleeplessness I experienced and which had me feeling some numbness as well.

The doctors I have visited have shrugged it off as being nothing serious and being something more psycho-somatic. But these are very real symptoms I'm feeling and I find myself worrying about almost all day long. I need to know if it could be something more serious. I don't have insurance anymore and going to see specialists and numerous doctors is currently not an option to me as I also happen to still be unemployed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize this may be too general a problem, but I tried being as specific as I could.