Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness in feet and trouble walking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness in feet and trouble walking

I started having trouble with my back back in October. I also had numbness in my right foot. I started seeing a Chiropractor, which really hasn't helped. I also went to my GP-she gave me Arthrotec and an exercise sheet which hasn't helped either. She had them do a MRI. According to the report, I had a small spur on L1-2 and Schmorl's nodes on L1, L3 and L. It also said there is loss of T2 signal in the upper lumbar spine but no evidence of posterior disc herniation.

The numbness is continuing to get worse. It feels like it's asleep constantly now. There has been times I have stepped down and it was like there was nothing there and nearly fell. I am now having trouble walking-legs giving away, foot dragging, etc. and very little reflexs in that leg. My chiropractor has sent me to a neurosurgeon. That was a battle-they wanted to wait till March to schedule me, and he was trying to tell them because of the neurological symptoms I needed in there earlier. We finally got an appt. this week.

This month is when the symptoms have really got bad. After the MRI was done at the end of Dec. , one day I had went to sleep on the couch facing the couch. The phone rang, and I twisted around to answer it. Could that have herniated one of the disks? Or is there other things that could cause the problem with numbness and the difficulty in walking that I am now experiencing besides what may going on in the lower back?
Extremely difficult to comment on an MRI that I have never seen.  But I agree that something neurological is going on that is concerning for a pinched nerve in your lower back (which could be due to a bad disc) or farther on down the nerves in the leg. Another possibility is that the problem could be further up in the brain.  I certainly do NOT mean to scare you, but wanted to let you know where else to look if everything in the back and leg are normal.  If the MRI truly didn't show any significant disease process going on, you may need an EMG to check the integrity of your nerves and muscles. This test would be helpful in pinpointing where the problem may be coming from. Another test that we do sometimes if an MRI is normal but we still suspect something is going on is a CT myelogram to look at the nerves as they exit the spinal cord. And as I stated before, if the surgeon is suspicious for something going on in the brain and you may need to have that imaged as well with an MRI.

As for the twisting motion, if you already had some kind of damage to the nerves from something like a narrowed bony canal (rather than a disc problem), then it's possible that you could have further compromised the nerve with position change.  BUt this is difficult to say as we don't know yet exactly what the problem is. Just be careful in the meantime and take it easy. No heavy lifting (nothing more than a gallon of milk), stay away from contact sports, and just take it easy until your appointment. Good luck.
True story www.geocities.com/catsmeows2003
My comment is that Since I had my son 3 years ago i have had many physhical problems .I have had pain so severe from my mid section to my lower hip keeping me from being able to walk anywere.For those of you who have doctors that like to tell you its because your overweight and do nothing or you make sure you tell them you will go to a attorney general.I still dont know what cause my problem walking but i do know what has been causing the numbness in my hands.They have found a tumor in my theratic spine hopefully it will take care of everything.If you feel like your being ignored keeep fighting for your rights because you know your body better then the doctors do.It become pretty redicoulous when you have to research your own problems and doctors have done nothing but want to give you a pill to solve problems.If any one knows about therastic tumors or have any comments about them i like to get more info before they try and remove it you can email me at ***@**** ty sorry if i was blowing of steam but fedup with doctors who do not do their jobs
All of a sudden my right heel hurt like hell upon rising from bed.  Also after sitting for a while and then standing up.  Went to the Dr. "spurs"  he said. Don't worry they will go away shortly.  Well about a year later, I got them in the other foot too.  I know I have a bad spine, so I figured I was due.  Went to Mayo's In Fla. (Bad Place) and they told me that it was (sp) plantar facia?
Gave me exercises. No good.  Went to a foot specialist who taped the arch up and told me to try it for 3 days.  No good.  He could not offer help. Meanwhile I was hobbling around and not getting better .  Total, I went to 1 podiatrist 4 times, another 2 times, another 1time, a specialist 1 time and Mayo once. Had custom insoles made. NO HELP.  THEN one night after 2 years of problems, I was turning the tv channels, and stopped at a program on FEET.  Probably on Discovery channel.  It started by showing how people should walk.   First the foot swings outward from the center and lands on the heel.  Then the weight transfers to the outside (the side w/little toe) called the outside ARCH. Then the weight "arches" across the toes, and back along the arch we all know about.  I studied that and realized that, when I was young, I used to wear leather soles with a real leather heel.  Not these new one piece moulded shoes with the heel and sole on one level.  I bought a better shoe, from a old line shoe company and started to emulate what I had seen on TV.  At first, no relief.  After about 2 weeks, I knew I had the answer.  Bad back or not, I was re training my legs and feet to walk properly.  I was going up the stairs much faster without pain.  Today I am pain free. Once in a while I Have to remind myself to walk properly, but it is worth it.  One of the first clues that tell about  bad nerves or bad walking form is BURNING FEET at night.  Good  Luck.
A related discussion, Can I be peralized ? was started.
A related discussion, SPINAL INJURIES was started.
A related discussion, legs was started.