Numbness in foot due to L4/L5 Herniation
I have had a laminectomy on L5/S1 in 1999, and a few weeks ago felt some soreness (more than normal) and then last week had severe acute pain radiating in my left buttocks and leg.  I went to a physiatrist on Thurs of last week when my pain had subsided, but noticed tingling and numbness in my toes (left foot).  I am now meeting with a spine surgeon tomorrow, had an MRI that showed a herniation on the left side, and partially in the center and right.  My question is whether or not surgery, or other therapies, will allow me to gain back the feeling in my foot.  I can flex down, but not up and my foot is cold.  I am scared that this may be perm damage.  Any insight would be helpful.
I am not new to surgery, and will consider all options, but from all that I have read, I haven't seen anything that says I will regain feeling in my foot - without surg.
Thank you!