Numbness in left middle finger
Hi, my situation is as follows:

Yesterday, I was carrying some bags, etc. and because of the way I was holding them/amount of weight on some of the fingers and fingerttips of my left hand, I felt a pretty good amount of pain once I was done carrying the items. The pain wnet away after a minute, and I soon realized that a portion of my left middle finger was numb-specifically, the portion from the top joint on up to and including the fingerttip. Further, the majority of the numbness is on the tip and left side (side nearest the ring finger) of the upper middle finger rather than the right side.

I've tried massaging, holding under both hot and cold water and it hasn't gone away. Is there a way for me to get rid of this, or do I need to go see a general doctor and have him refer me to a neurologist? Not sure how to proceed. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
The same thing happened to me.  I was carrying groceries - several plastic bags in each hand. My left hand/fingers went a little numb for a few seconds... I later realized the tip of my left middle finger was still numb.  This started on 5/8.  
I have an acctual injury to my left middle finger. My Technology teacher sliced his finger to bits when He was cutting my wood. Also I've met aot of people with left middle finger injuries. Plus my brother was pulling his left middle finger backwards when we were at his mothers the other day