Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness in my little and ring finger, and around triceps. Pain in my n...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness in my little and ring finger, and around triceps. Pain in my neck muscl

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am 25 years old, and with no serious medical conditions.
I usually sleep on my belly with my hand folded and tucked below my head. But a month and a half ago, I got up in the morning with my left arm (the arm on which I sleep) completely numb. After a few minutes the sensation started to come back
You need to see a neurologist. The symptoms you are describing can either be do to involvement of the nerves in your neck or in your arms. Sensory symptoms alone can be very misleading. You have not described focal persistent weakness of your arms. After having a neurologic examination the doctor should be able to determine if the problem is located more in your arms or neck. You may need a MRI of the spine or an EMG (test of the muscle and nerve function). Based on this initial evaluation then a proper diagnosis can be made. Good luck
Hi, I'm not a professional or anything, just somebody reading. In the past few years my body has gotten very sensitive to the way I sleep. I have the same problems you are describing if I sleep the wrong way. I have back issues and usually the best way to sleep in on your side, but that caused my arm and shoulder to numb and be painful the next morning. I talked to my Dr about it and told him about numbness and he said if you can't side sleep the next best position is on your back and the worst position is on your stomach. I thought "well how in the world am I going to stay in one position all night". Once you go to sleep that way and tell yourself that that is the way you will sleep it's wierd how consious you are of that when you sleep. Pillows are important too. some people use a tiny one under the arch of their back and one between the knees when they side sleep. When you back sleep it's good to put a pillow under your knees. I've just had some of the same feelings as you so I thought I would comment. Looking forward to what the DR has to say.
I have had the a similar problem for about 4 yrs. now. But I also have pain in my upper back and under my shoulder blade. They did an MRI due to the numbness I was having but that showed nothing but some degeneration(sp).Then some time later they found that I had an imingement in my left shoulder. They think that I am haveing referred pain even though I was having upper back and pain under my shoulder blade almost 2 yrs. before my shoulder stated acting up.
I had surgey on my shoulder 2 months ago and the "referred" pain is no better. But everyone blows me off and tells me to give it time. My chiro thinks maybe I could have a pinched nerve somewhere. I am so tired of living this way !!!!
Any ideas?
I bumped my left elbow which caused a knot and a bruise several months ago.  Since that time I have been experiencing numbness in my left hand.  Specifically the little finger and my ring finger.  Have I possibly pinched a nerve?

I have also been having similar symptoms for the past few weeks. It all started with excessive weight training and may even have been incorrect postures at that time. I had acute pain in my muscles shoulder and biceps which was treated and resolved by a massage therapist. Then when Is started weights again, it came back and this time it was upper back(right) and neck. Massage didnt help much any more and I went to a chiropractor. He said that the rib was out on my right and did some "adjustments". Now I have been having pain when I sleep sideways in my right shoulder and sometimes arm. It is a very dull pain which I may not notice if I am too tired but is inconveneint enough to keep me up all night otherwise. Also after having visited the chiropractor I felt numbness in my arm on a couple of nights and now everytime i am asleep or take a nap the little and ring finger on the right hand go numbe. I alos have little tingling sensations on my left hand and left foot occasionaly. The blood test report is absolutely normal. The pain is more pronounced when I lie down and bearable and sometimes non-existent during the day. I wonder what this is. Can I ever sleep in peace?

N_B
A related discussion, pain in Left eblow, causing numbness through the arm was started.